Can Bluecoats Win?

Can Bluecoats win it?  

290 members have voted

1. 1. Can the Bluecoats pull it out at finals and win?

• Yes
    • No
    • Are you on crack

So the constant tuba-doubling of BD's synth doesn't bother you?

Did you notice that the only time you could really hear BD's tubas was when each player had a wall (er, mirror) behind them?

Could you imagine the sound of say Bluecoats or Crown if they had walls behind their tuba sections? :thumbup:

Okay, so this is the quote I was really commenting on. My bad. Blame the iPhone. LOL

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel like I must be the only person on the planet who isn't madly crazy about the 'coats this year. Or, scratch that. I think it's a great show, I'm just not sure I'm as confident in its champion potential. Dunno why.

I don't see anyone passing BD this year, but I suspect that if the Cavs get their act together performance-wise, they will give BD the biggest run for their money. It seems like it would take something a tiny bit more sophisticated than what bloo is offering this year to be a real threat.

I feel like I must be the only person on the planet who isn't madly crazy about the 'coats this year. Or, scratch that. I think it's a great show, I'm just not sure I'm as confident in its champion potential. Dunno why.

You're not. The only thing for me that pops out about the Bluecoats show is their use of electronics -- very well done and unique to them this year. The rest of the show (drill, music, perc, guard) is nothing particularly outstanding on it's own. However they do have a very well staged and well paced design. Everything happens when and where it should. So the cumulative effect is greater than the sum of all the parts. It's just a really fun to watch show.

Edited by corpsband

I feel like I must be the only person on the planet who isn't madly crazy about the 'coats this year.

I don't care that much for it personally. It isn't a bad show, but based purely on how much it entertains me I would rank it behind at least Cadets, Crown, Cavies, Blue Stars, Madison, and Blue Knights

NO,no,no... Great enjoyable show. But something is missing for it to win it all. It is so so close. What is it ... What is needed to give it that bump to the top.

(maybe we will see during finals. maybe they added what is needed)

NO,no,no... Great enjoyable show. But something is missing for it to win it all. It is so so close. What is it ... What is needed to give it that bump to the top.

(maybe we will see during finals. maybe they added what is needed)

they do have nothing but rehearsal from sunday through thursdays quarterfinals.

they do have nothing but rehearsal from sunday through thursdays quarterfinals.

As do most of the corps.

They still need something more.

As do most of the corps.

They still need something more.

I think what he was trying to imply is that they have plenty of time to add something new to the show.

You're not. The only thing for me that pops out about the Bluecoats show is their use of electronics -- very well done and unique to them this year. The rest of the show (drill, music, perc, guard) is nothing particularly outstanding on it's own. However they do have a very well staged and well paced design. Everything happens when and where it should. So the cumulative effect is greater than the sum of all the parts. It's just a really fun to watch show.

That's an apt description. Yeah.

I feel about it the way I feel about really great action movies: programmed to entertain (and being genuinely entertaining is no small feat, mind you), but sort of lacking the ambition to be something a little more. Incidentally, listening to it, I also feel like I'm hearing a lot of wonderfully-performed action movie music... but action movie music nonetheless. It doesn't leave me with very much to think about or savor, in the end, whereas BD, Crown and Cavies (among the major contenders) all do. Just as PR 08, the last corps to overtake BD, did.

I love the bluecoats' show this year, and I couldn't be happier for them that it's bound to be -- indeed, already is -- a record year for them, no matter what happens. But, major contender for the crown? Despite what the scores so far say, I'm really not sure...

I don't see anyone passing BD this year, but I suspect that if the Cavs get their act together performance-wise, they will give BD the biggest run for their money. It seems like it would take something a tiny bit more sophisticated than what bloo is offering this year to be a real threat.

I can agree with this to an extent. I wonder if Blue Devils show is just so well designed and performed that it makes Bluecoats' show seem a little underwhelming by comparison. I can honestly say that this is my favorite Bluecoats show of all time, and I would love for them to make Top 3 and mix things up even more than Crown did last year. I think this show does seem to be missing SOMETHING. Shows typically have to be more than excellently performed in order to win Championships. While I like Cavaliers and maybe Cadets (and Blue Devils) more, I would be satisfied with Bluecoats maintaining second place or even shocking most of the drum corps world and pulling off one of the biggest upsets in DCI history. I can't quite put my finger on what the show is lacking, but IMO it's a very well performed and entertaining show: it's just not one that goes the extra mile to be Championship material.

FWIW, I feel the same way about the 2010 WGI IW Champions, Pulse. Even though it's two vastly different mediums, there is a little bit of hope for Bluecoats fans knowing there is modern precedence for a fan friendly, high performing corps to win it all.