Can Bluecoats Win?

Can Bluecoats win it?  

290 members have voted

1. 1. Can the Bluecoats pull it out at finals and win?

• Yes
    • No
    • Are you on crack

Nope.

And that's why I disagree with their judging methods. DCI has a major disconnect to its fans and does not explain scoring well at all. DCI's purpose is to give the kids the experience of a lifetime and entertain thousands of fans, which keeps DCI in business. My point about GE is simple, the scoreboard never factors in the personal connection and theme like a Crown 07 show that overflows with GE. The coats have a much more solid connection to fans than BD does this year. Do a simple poll of vets of DCI and you find this is obvious, yet BD's GE will win undoubtably. GE should not just be about how well the music and visual packages fit together. A lot of fans are disconnected because scoring doesn't factor in the theme's impact, it's ZERO out of 100. I know most disagree but this is why I generally don't like BD. Their performances are top notch yet their show almost lulls me to sleep. Maybe my reflection is just boring. :tongue:

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And that's why I disagree with their judging methods. DCI has a major disconnect to its fans and does not explain scoring well at all. DCI's purpose is to give the kids the experience of a lifetime and entertain thousands of fans, which keeps DCI in business. My point about GE is simple, the scoreboard never factors in the personal connection and theme like a Crown 07 show that overflows with GE. The coats have a much more solid connection to fans than BD does this year. Do a simple poll of vets of DCI and you find this is obvious, yet BD's GE will win undoubtably. GE should not just be about how well the music and visual packages fit together. A lot of fans are disconnected because scoring doesn't factor in the theme's impact, it's ZERO out of 100. I know most disagree but this is why I generally don't like BD. Their performances are top notch yet their show almost lulls me to sleep. Maybe my reflection is just boring. :tongue:

Firstly, DCI's purpose is not necessarily to entertain, it's to put out the best marching product possible. Secondly, as stated on this forum many times, GE is not crowd entertainment, it is product effectiveness.

Another way to look at it is to say that Crown did get credit for their audience appeal and enjoyability -- which are 'effects' in themselves -- but lost credit for other parts of what GE is looking for, like continuity of design, etc.

When looking at a GE score, you can't ever really be sure what points were lost/allotted to which components of the sheet. Can you really be sure that the scoreboard never factors in personal connection and theme?

Firstly, DCI's purpose is not necessarily to entertain, it's to put out the best marching product possible. Secondly, as stated on this forum many times, GE is not crowd entertainment, it is product effectiveness.

Firstly, I never said DCI's primary goal was entertainment. But they wont sell any tickets if there was none! Many div1 corps directors have continually made crowd pleasing their first goals. I stated I knew GE was not "entertainment", but I feel it SHOULD be a part the 100 points somewhere. A shows "effectiveness" is just as emotional of a call. In most cases a field judge would disagree with a box judge because of what is lost from field to the pressbox. I didn't mean to hyjack this thread, so I'm done. Carry on arguing about why the Coats can't win.