A Boston Question

It wasn't all that long ago (1999) that Boston made the top 12 for the first time EVER...since then, they have been a Finalist every year. Their score will work itself out...those kids are hardworking and determined.

If the Boston Crusaders make the Finals this Year they will be one of only 9 Corps to have ever made the " 12 for 12" club in DCI, ie made DCI TOP 12 Finals Finish for 12 years in a row. Lots of terrific corps over the 38 years of DCI years can not make that claim of consistency.

Corps that have made the TOP 12, 12 years in a row ( or more ):

Blue Devils

Cadets

Cavaliers

Santa Clara Vanguard

Phantom Regiment

Madison Scouts

Bluecoats

Boston Crusaders

Crossmen

Some great Corps over the years that for one reason or another never made TOP 12, 12 years in a row:

Spirit of Atlanta ( 11 )

Star of Indiana ( 8 )

Carolina Crown ( 7, 8 this year )

27th Lancers ( 10 )

Bridgemen (8 )

Suncoast Sound ( 7 )

Velvet Kights ( 7 )

Glassmen ( 6, 7 this year )

Blue Stars ( 7 )

Kilties ( 4 )

Freelancers ( 5 )

Magic of Orlando ( 4 )

Colts ( 4 )

Blue Knights ( 6, 7 this year)

Troopers ( 2 )

Hawthorne Muchachos ( 3 )

North Star ( 3 )

Argonne Rebels ( 2)

Anaheim Kingsmen ( 3 )

This list has some oustanding Corps that produced great shows. Some of these great Corps were good in the 60's before DCI began ( Troopers, Kilties, 27th) Boston also had National Championship winning years in the 60's as well.

It's not as easy as one thinks to make Top 12 year in and year out. There are always good Corps trying to replace you. The Crossmen found that out recently. Kudos to the Boston Crusaders for being a model of consistency in DCI. And congratulations to this Corps for the celebration of their 70th year with us.

Edited by BRASSO

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the Boston Crusaders make the Finals this Year they will be one of only 9 Corps to have ever made the " 12 for 12" club in DCI, ie made DCI TOP 12 Finals Finish for 12 years in a row. Lots of terrific corps over the 38 years of DCI years can not make that claim of consistency.

Blue Devils

Cadets

Cavaliers

Santa Clara Vanguard

Phantom Regiment

Madison Scouts

Bluecoats

Boston Crusaders

Crossmen

Some great Corps over the years that for one reason or another never made TOP 12, 12 years in a row:

Spirit of Atlanta ( 11 )

Star of Indiana ( 8 )

27th Lancers ( 10 )

Bridgemen (8 )

Suncoast Sound ( 7 )

Velvet Kights ( 7 )

Blue Stars ( 7, 8 this year )

Kilties ( 4 )

Freelancers ( 5 )

Magic of Orlando ( 4 )

Colts ( 4 )

Troopers ( 2 )

North Star ( 3 )

Argonne Rebels ( 2)

This list has some oustanding Corps that produced great shows. Some of these great Corps were good in the 60's before DCI began ( Troopers, Kilties, 27th) Boston also had National Championship winning years in the 60's as well.

It's not as easy as one thinks to make Top 12 year in and year out. There are always good Corps trying to replace you. The Crossmen found that out recently. Kudos to the Boston Crusaders for being a model of consistency in DCI. And congratulations to this Corps for the celebration of their 70th year with us.

Well said BRASSO. I do not think Boston is place 1st in a DCI show. Which is interesting. Have a great day, Go drum corp. Maybe the scoring gods will bring Boston over 93.

Blue Devils

Cadets

Cavaliers

Santa Clara Vanguard

Phantom Regiment

Madison Scouts

Bluecoats

Boston Crusaders

Crossmen

Spirit of Atlanta ( 11 )

Star of Indiana ( 8 )

27th Lancers ( 10 )

Bridgemen (8 )

Suncoast Sound ( 7 )

Velvet Kights ( 7 )

Blue Stars ( 7, 8 this year )

Kilties ( 4 )

Freelancers ( 5 )

Magic of Orlando ( 4 )

Colts ( 4 )

Troopers ( 2 )

North Star ( 3 )

Argonne Rebels ( 2)

This is one of those cool trivia things that I did not know. It is so much better than the ones I remember. "BAC the only founding member of DCI to not make finals". I guess that is why 1999 was such a special year to me (finals 1st time) and 1994 a heart breaker(13th place). And also honorable mention to 1990(10th in prelims) and 15th in semi's.

haha I do remember my band director telling stories of "back in the day" when the Troopers (he was in that) and BAC would stand next to each other in the tunnel. Of course he said Boston was "Mean in the tunnel"

Hehe - that's the Boston I know. Except it was at retreat, not in the tunnel. :thumbup:

Hehe - that's the Boston I know. Except it was at retreat, not in the tunnel. :thumbup:

Please clarify when this "back in the day" event occurred. I would guess the time period was mid to late 60's , possibly very early 70's. Those members grandkids are probably marching now and are a lot nicer :-).

Boston's scoring is coming around now. Late season changes are now settiling in and the kids can just work on performing. Their morale was pretty low but now that their hard work is paying off we should continue to see some lift throughout quarters, semi's and fiunals. I had an early season prediction they woulod come in 6th. Maybe they can. It would be a reach but not totally out of the question.

Please clarify when this "back in the day" event occurred. I would guess the time period was mid to late 60's , possibly very early 70's. Those members grandkids are probably marching now and are a lot nicer :-).

Mid 80s-early 90s

oh and my bad on the mix up of retreat and tunnel.

Mid 80s-early 90s

oh and my bad on the mix up of retreat and tunnel.

I can vouch for BAC being "Mean in the tunnel/field" when I marched in the late 90's. They weren't nearly as scrappy as stories I heard from previous "generations" (early 90's and earlier), but BAC definitely didn't mind mixing it up with other corps. They weren't the only corps by any means to have "retreat fun" (ahhhh: how many people know what "tenor games" means), and I was certainly behind shenanigans on one or two occasions when I marched. But there were certainly some "interesting" stories of BC mixing things up before, during, and after retreat.

Edited by perc2100

Lets drop this bad stuff i marched 74-76 and the only issue we had was when other's hassled other's in the corps. it was taken care of . just like any one less would if other hassled a 15 to 18 year old person.

I can vouch for BAC being "Mean in the tunnel/field" when I marched in the late 90's. They weren't nearly as scrappy as stories I heard from previous "generations" (early 90's and earlier), but BAC definitely didn't mind mixing it up with other corps. They weren't the only corps by any means to have "retreat fun" (ahhhh: how many people know what "tenor games" means), and I was certainly behind shenanigans on one or two occasions when I marched. But there were certainly some "interesting" stories of BC mixing things up before, during, and after retreat.

Well maybe from time to time there was some "scrappiness'. But I can honestly say that I never experienced or witnessed anything significant in the years I marched or taught. The only times there was any "scrappiness" was during the entry to retreat (when you marched in, in single file , all corps together) not the retreat themselves. I never saw anything happen before or after because the corps was told to keep to themselves. Now during a parade...that's a whole other story. Cut ranks at your own peril.

Well maybe from time to time there was some "scrappiness'. But I can honestly say that I never experienced or witnessed anything significant in the years I marched or taught. The only times there was any "scrappiness" was during the entry to retreat (when you marched in, in single file , all corps together) not the retreat themselves. I never saw anything happen before or after because the corps was told to keep to themselves. Now during a parade...that's a whole other story. Cut ranks at your own peril.

... or ride your bike through a Fargo rehearsal.