Who would win based on pure entertainment value?

DCI 2010 Entertainment Champion  

376 members have voted

1. 1. Who would win DCI 2010 based purely on Entertainment value?

• The Academy
    • Blue Devils
    • Blue Knights
    • Blue Stars
    • Bluecoats
    • Boston Crusaders
    • The Cadets
    • Carolina Crown
    • Cascades
    • The Cavaliers
    • Colts
    • Crossmen
    • Glassmen
    • Jersey Surf
    • Madison Scouts
    • Mandarins
    • Pacific Crest
    • Phantom Regiment
    • Pioneer
    • Santa Clara Vanguard
    • Spirit
    • Teal Sound
    • Troopers

I still think the average DCI fan is not of the highest intellect and therefore should not be trusted or given the responsibility of judging drum corps performances.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still think the average DCI fan is not of the highest intellect and therefore should not be trusted or given the responsibility of judging drum corps performances.

The fact that you feel the need to drive that point home ad nauseum says a lot. This thread asks who would win based on entertainment. It doesn't advocate fans actually judging the contests.

Gese man, what is your deal? I'm pretty sure that most of the people on here critical of BD don't actually hate them. But I can't help feeling like you just absolutely despise them.

Oh, he absolutely does. Check his posting history.......He will tell you different. Guess he doesnt stand by his feelings. But hey, he really is allowed to, everyone has the right to feel the way they do.

G

I am NOT a BD "kool-aid" drinker. Go back and read my posts from the past two years. Their 2008-2009 shows were some of my least favorite ever and probably in the bottom half of all corps in those years as far as my own personal enjoyment. I am not affiliated with their organization in any way whatsoever.... I don't even think I've ever known anyone who's marched there (and I have friends who have marched Cadets, Cavies, Crown, Spirit, Phantom, Star). If I had to list my overall favorite corps BD would at the highest be fourth after Phantom, Crown, and Cadets.

I just genuinely think their 2010 show is that good. I know some cannot fathom that an unbiased fan could be extremely entertained by their show.... but that is the point I am trying to make. The Blue Devils are tapping into a kind of energy and emotion we rarely see in drum corps.... and I think they deserve every bit of the scores they are receiving.

Im not a Kool-aid drinker either. How I felt the last five years is well documented in my post history of all my reviews. This show is just that good, in my opinion placement, score and how others feel be darned !!!!

G

Wow, BD in 2nd place so far.

Now tied with a 9th place corps.

It would be better to rank them in a poll, favourite to least favourite. I think it would open a better span.

It would be better to rank them in a poll, favorite to least favorite. I think it would open a better span.

Agreed. If not a ranking of all 23, at least a top 5 or top 10, with e.g., 10 pts. for 1st favorite, 9 pts. for 2nd favorite, etc. Someone should do that just after Finals. I don't know if it can be set up as a poll here, though, but it wouldn't be that hard to add up the thread responses.

I'm so glad this poll is on the forum. I've been to many competitions over the summer and have heard much of what this poll shows from audiences. While the Scouts have often been hands on favs for entertainment - there has also been a good bit of appreciation for innovation from corps like BD for sure.

I think it is helpful to analyze corps in different ways. For example, if you average the daily increase of scores from July 1st to now, you'll discover that only one corps has gotten a bigger score increase than BD all year. Another way of looking at this is to consider that if there was a DCI show every night from now into the future with the same daily average increase, only Academy would/could beat BD and that wouldn't happen until April 3rd, 2011.

The following is a listing of score increases from July 1st till Aug 9.

Corps -- 1-Jul -- 9-Aug -- Diff

AC -- 64.8 -- 83.85 -- 19.05

BD -- 80.05 -- 97.05 -- 17

TR -- 68.45 -- 84.2 -- 15.75

SV -- 77.5 -- 92.45 -- 14.95

BK -- 73.8 -- 88.15 -- 14.35

BS -- 76.4 -- 90.75 -- 14.35

BlC -- 80.9 -- 94.65 -- 13.75

PC -- 67.2 -- 80.75 -- 13.55

BCr -- 77.4 -- 90.95 -- 13.55

CR -- 80.5 -- 94 -- 13.5

CV -- 80.8 -- 94.25 -- 13.45

CD -- 80.8 -- 94.24 -- 13.44

MD -- 65.6 -- 78.7 -- 13.1

MS -- 75.7 -- 88.25 -- 12.55

PH -- 78.8 -- 91.25 -- 12.45

JS -- 64.6 -- 76.35 -- 11.75

GL -- 76 -- 87.5 -- 11.5

CR -- 71.1 -- 82.35 -- 11.25

CO -- 72.1 -- 83.05 -- 10.95

SP -- 72.2 -- 82.3 -- 10.1

PI -- 66.2 -- 75.2 -- 9

CA -- 67.2 -- 76.2 -- 9

TS -- 68 -- 76.75 -- 8.75

db

Agreed. If not a ranking of all 23, at least a top 5 or top 10, with e.g., 10 pts. for 1st favorite, 9 pts. for 2nd favorite, etc. Someone should do that just after Finals. I don't know if it can be set up as a poll here, though, but it wouldn't be that hard to add up the thread responses.

Perhaps but it would be fair. And I would do it for every corps. Not just voting on a single corps. But rank as far as you see it.

Gese man, what is your deal? I'm pretty sure that most of the people on here critical of BD don't actually hate them. But I can't help feeling like you just absolutely despise them.

Nope. I just despise their music this year.

I am NOT a BD "kool-aid" drinker. Go back and read my posts from the past two years. Their 2008-2009 shows were some of my least favorite ever and probably in the bottom half of all corps in those years as far as my own personal enjoyment. I am not affiliated with their organization in any way whatsoever.... I don't even think I've ever known anyone who's marched there (and I have friends who have marched Cadets, Cavies, Crown, Spirit, Phantom, Star). If I had to list my overall favorite corps BD would at the highest be fourth after Phantom, Crown, and Cadets.

I just genuinely think their 2010 show is that good. I know some cannot fathom that an unbiased fan could be extremely entertained by their show.... but that is the point I am trying to make. The Blue Devils are tapping into a kind of energy and emotion we rarely see in drum corps.... and I think they deserve every bit of the scores they are receiving.

My sincere apologies, Tez. I posted out of frustration from someone bragging about how BD was in second place in the entertainment poll, blah, blah, blah... I am sorry, I should have let myself cool off a little before posting something so foolish.

Im not a Kool-aid drinker either. How I felt the last five years is well documented in my post history of all my reviews. This show is just that good, in my opinion placement, score and how others feel be darned !!!!

G

Michael, you have my apologies as well. It was a stupid post and I was just upset. Somebody "got my goat" and I reacted. I am very familiar with your plight over the past several years and I respect your opinion.

Tez, dont sweat cardman...i think he means well, but he dislikes a large list of things and it appears BD is on that list.

Nah. I don't dislike a large list of things. I'm not sure where you get that from. I do dislike this year's BD program, but I love almost every other show in the top 12. Again, my comment was stupid and fueled by frustration and I regret posting it. We all make mistakes.