The Kids work hard, but I still don't like it.

I'm shocked, SHOCKED I say, to see that yet another thread crops up on DCP's DCI World Class Discussions forum that has degenerated into yet another asinine discussion on why current DCI World Class drum corps sucks, and older stuff rules, and blah blah blah.

Really DCP: we are DAYS away from 2010 Championship week beginning, and this is the best you can do?

Sigh... :thumbup::sad:

wait til scores Thursday :hehe:

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And yet, the stands are still filled.

I assume that you are either young or a new fan. There were 5 times as many drum corp shows 25 years ago, & 10 times as many drum corps. Many more kids & fans wanted to participate in the drum & bugle corps activity years ago. Drum Corps has experienced negative growth for 25 or 30 years now.

Yes, and watching a 2010 drum corps video is 100 times better than watching a 1970 drum corps video (for me), not so much because of the quality of the recording but because of the show that is on the field.

I havn't seen a full show " 1970 Corps video" lately.. but even if you don't like anything before even ( say ) 2000 that you've seen on tape, that's fine... no problem. Everybody has their own personal tastes in Drum Corps music, shows, and so forth.

Edited by BRASSO

I'm shocked, SHOCKED I say, to see that yet another thread crops up on DCP's DCI World Class Discussions forum that has degenerated into yet another asinine discussion on why current DCI World Class drum corps sucks, and older stuff rules, and blah blah blah.

Really DCP: we are DAYS away from 2010 Championship week beginning, and this is the best you can do?

Sigh... :thumbup::hehe:

Please point me to all the outstanding threads you've personally started in a effort to stimulate positive discussion on DCP.

I'll wait.

I assume that you are either young or a new fan. There were 5 times as many drum corp shows 25 years ago, & 10 times as many drum corps. Many more kids & fans wanted to participate in the drum & bugle corps activity years ago. Drum Corps has experienced negative growth for 25 or 30 years now.

thats because the world has changed....no other reason.. I can list 100 ways it has changed but helllll what else did we have to do back then..NO MUCH. kids today have everything and so many choices at their finger tips. Just look at the phones, I pods etc etc. many dont have a dime to their name but have every electronic possible. We were lucky if we were allowed to use the phone at home....lol......2010 different world. And Drum Corps has evolved and changed just like everything else...and should

Please point me to all the outstanding threads you've personally started in a effort to stimulate positive discussion on DCP.

I'll wait.

game. match. set

:thumbup:

SIGH.............

What I miss most about drum & bugle corps ?

Once upon a time I could bring my administration to shows where they could actually understand why music programs were not only important in the schools, but FOR the school. It was a time when even the clueless could feel goosebumps and the energy produced on the field without needing a 4 hour briefing before viewing. I wonder how many people in the stands only attend because it's "THE" marching event to be seen at ?

Yes, I like and appreciate whats on the field today, However, not all school systems are the type that will support a BOA type band program. I would dare say in most cases the principal/administration wants a band that is more about public relations and support of the football team, not a fine arts program on a football field. They want something THEY can "feel" and cheer about. As DCI has moved to this higher level of artistic expression, I fear we have closed the door on support from some areas of education.

Drum Corps has become something wonderful to behold, but only for a select few. I love and appreciate high brow, but it's not going to help me sell music education to people who are not musically educated. Drum Corps USED to be a great tool for seling the average person. I have given up on bringing band parents and boosters to shows because theres little they can relate to.

While DCI has become the moving billboard for the instrument and uniform industry, it has risen so far above the average, musically uneducated persons ability to grasp and understand in one viewing that "for the most part" it does not help in the struggle we face to keep interest in many band programs.

Once upon a time ( 90's ) a principal could view most of the top 12 and at least have a grasp of what was being presented and a hunger to have a " band like THAT", and with his excitment came funding and approval for many things

I don't think theres an answer that will make anyone 100% happy,

I've made the decision to go it alone and enjoy what "I" get out of it for as long as I "get it".

I could care less about the key of instruments or what type of heads on the drums, I just wish there were more shows I could get the average person to enjoy so that we would have larger support. I miss bringing new people to shows and having them GUSH excitement for weeks after.

Some may say it's not DCI's job to educate the masses, I say DCI is missing the boat to growth and financial future by not appealing to a wider audiance.

How do we make that happen ?

Very well said.

When you belittle your heritage, it only shows that you really are not part of the artform.

Given the context of this thread, I can't help but laugh at this comment...

I'll wait.

If you wanted to start positive discussion about anything, then it wouldn't be an internet forum!!!!!

Sorry, had to say it :thumbup:

I havn't met a single " dinosaur " ( legacy fan ) that would like rock guitars as a staple instrument to be prominently utilized in Drum and Bugle Corps competition. You and I must travel in different circles then, because I have no idea what you are taliking about if you think older legacy fans want their Drum Corps to have wailing rock guitars.

My point was that the show has all that and guitars. Some people love the guitars, some don't. Either one is fine with me. My point was that the show is essentially 80's inspired music design with 2010 forward-thinking sprinkles on top.

You are cordially invited to enjoy it or hate it. If we move you in either direction, we've won.