Drum Corps Collectors and Historical Society Exhibition

I know some of the people who will be having their collection on exhibition at Lucas Oil and this should be a good start to a great and long overdue idea. Be sure to show you are interested in drum corps history by attending so that exhibits like this will continue and grow. Here's the info as posted on DCI's website.

Where: Lucas Oil Stadium, 500 S. Capitol Ave., Indianapolis (Meeting Room 1, adjacent to lower level Grand Marketplace)

When:

Thursday 2:30 p.m. – 3:30 p.m.

Friday 3:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.

Saturday 3 p.m. – 5:30 p.m.

Admission Free with your ticket to the show

About: Take a trip back in time to the yester-years of drum and bugle corps with this impressive collection of classic uniforms, display cases filled with collectible buttons, and other marching music memorabilia. During select times of this first-ever Historical Society exhibit, DCI Hall-of-Famers Steve Vickers and Don Warren will be on hand to autograph copies of their books.

WOW! Kudos to Steve Vickers and Bob Jacobs for this splended idea and opportunity for the entire Drum Corps community to reminisce and return back in time, to the day, when Drum Corps first touched our hearts!

Won't be going to Indy this year. :thumbup: How I would have loved to have spent hours in the midst of Corps history.

Looking forward to learning more about future membership to/plans for the "Drum Corps Collectors and Historical Society."

Back in the day:

1965-1970 - SIMPLEX MINUTEMEN, Gardner, MA - Bass Drum/Cymbals

1992-1993 - ARIZONA SUN, Phoenix, AZ - Board of Directors

2004-Present - THE ACADEMY, Tempe, AZ - Volunteer

Next step???? Drum Corps Museum and Hall of Fame?

Could it happen?

I know there are some East Coast collectors who are very tight with their collections.

But, would it not be a fine thing to introduce not only drum corps fans of the present, but those pesky little HS kids each fall?

Open a drum corps museum in Indy as soon as possible.

I know some of the people who will be having their collection on exhibition at Lucas Oil and this should be a good start to a great and long overdue idea. Be sure to show you are interested in drum corps history by attending so that exhibits like this will continue and grow. Here's the info as posted on DCI's website.

Where: Lucas Oil Stadium, 500 S. Capitol Ave., Indianapolis (Meeting Room 1, adjacent to lower level Grand Marketplace)

When:

Thursday 2:30 p.m. – 3:30 p.m.

Admission Free with your ticket to the show

About: Take a trip back in time to the yester-years of drum and bugle corps with this impressive collection of classic uniforms, display cases filled with collectible buttons, and other marching music memorabilia. During select times of this first-ever Historical Society exhibit, DCI Hall-of-Famers Steve Vickers and Don Warren will be on hand to autograph copies of their books.

Tomorrow is the big day. Hope everyone takes the time to stop by. The display will only be open an hour or so each day.

Next step???? Drum Corps Museum and Hall of Fame?

Could it happen?

I know there are some East Coast collectors who are very tight with their collections.

But, would it not be a fine thing to introduce not only drum corps fans of the present, but those pesky little HS kids each fall?

Open a drum corps museum in Indy as soon as possible.

I read a post here on DCP, not too long ago, about this idea being 'already in the works' in Racine. It was apparently still in its infancy... wonder if its crawling yet?

Pretty decent crowd today, especially considering I only saw one sign about it. If you couldn't find the exhibit, just take the escalator down toward the marketplace and make a right once you are at the bottom. Dan Potter was in attendance and DCP's Jeff Ream spent some time there as well. Still two more opportunities to see the display.

Here are some pictures of the exhibit.

history-1.jpg

history-2.jpg

history-3.jpg

history-4.jpg

history-5.jpg

history-6.jpg

history-7.jpg

history-8.jpg

history-9.jpg

history-10.jpg

Thanks so much Chris. See Bill Ives was there and it's just amazing how many unis and jackets he has from the NE.

LOL, have around 150 pins/patches myself and see many of them in the pics. Including the Montana Golden Skyliners....

:lol: and :rolleyes: to those willing to put their irreplacible stuff up for public view.

Edit: After looking some more...

1) Who is being interviewed in the last pic, sorry but don't know many of the DCI side "faces". LMAO, just noticed he's in the middle of Archer-Epler Musketeer unis and jacket.

2) Hope all Crossmen fans noticed the green 507th Hornets jacket in the jackets pic (Star of Indiana in the forefront and Guelph, Ont Royalaires (Sr) in the back).

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Thanks so much Chris. See Bill Ives was there and it's just amazing how many unis and jackets he has from the NE.

LOL, have around 150 pins/patches myself and see many of them in the pics. Including the Montana Golden Skyliners....

:lol: and :rolleyes: to those willing to put their irreplacible stuff up for public view.

Edit: After looking some more...

1) Who is being interviewed in the last pic, sorry but don't know many of the DCI side "faces". LMAO, just noticed he's in the middle of Archer-Epler Musketeer unis and jacket.

2) Hope all Crossmen fans noticed the green 507th Hornets jacket in the jackets pic (Star of Indiana in the forefront and Guelph, Ont Royalaires (Sr) in the back).

Can't remember what his name is, but he is a member of Archie, and is probably the one that schlepped all of that stuff out there. They always have a great display at their after party at the Legion hall.

He also toured with Jersey Surf last summer (probably this summer, too, but I saw and talked to him at Massillon last year)