corps tattoos

I have two...my profile pic is one of them...I plan on getting one more and I have no regrets about my ink. They are personal and meaningful, and I would like to hope that the stigma or at least the perceived stigma of getting ink are behind us.

Behind us. That's kinda funny. My GRANDPA, who was in the navy in the world war (the FIRST one), had a tattoo of an anchor (I think) on his forearm. He hated it later in life, and usually wore long sleeved shirts to cover it.

So, yours is certainly not the first generation to get tattoos. Fads come, fads go, but fads generally don't last 70 years...... so chances are, tattoos will go out of style in your lifetime. Remember tongue piercings.....so "in" just a few short years ago?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Behind us. That's kinda funny. My GRANDPA, who was in the navy in the world war (the FIRST one), had a tattoo of an anchor (I think) on his forearm. He hated it later in life, and usually wore long sleeved shirts to cover it.

So, yours is certainly not the first generation to get tattoos. Fads come, fads go, but fads generally don't last 70 years...... so chances are, tattoos will go out of style in your lifetime. Remember tongue piercings.....so "in" just a few short years ago?

Again I am not really worried about first off I was 42 when I got my first tattoo, secondly today's art is not yesterdays "Sailor Anchor" and again mine are deeply personal and hold a great deal of significance to me just as drum corps is a significant part of who I am today. If all I have to regret at the end of my life is a tattoo then I say I am doing effing great.

I am sorry your grandfather "hated" his tattoo but the real question is why? Was he not proud of serving in the Navy? Did he feel it no longer looked good 50 years later ( he could get it touched up)? Was it something he did while he was NOT sober? Or was it because of the judgments of others who made him feel uncomfortable or awkward about his decision?

Bottom line I don't care if people think its just a fad and it goes, but more and more people I know are getting "inked" for personal, religious, and even fun reasons. I consider and design all my art while sober, and in fact most reputable tattoo artists will not work on someone who is drunk or stoned out of their mind.

However, I understand your thinking might be different you are from a much older generation than myself, so perhaps tattooing was very taboo.

I've got a delta on my left hip that is attached to a belt of stars that goes around to the other hip. All shaded with a baby blue fade to white (which I actually did before the uniforms that looked like that) I don't regret it in the least and I figure that having tattoos on my hips will be some type of encouragement not to become a total lard###. hahah... So far, so good. 3 years down 90-100 more to go.. :-D

The facebook group http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/gro...5612&ref=ts is pretty outstanding. Some of them have genuine works of art. My favorite is a full back scroll of Ave Maria on a PR member (alum now, I'd imagine) that the comments call Powder. It is beautiful. Here is a link to that one http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/pho...id=503612430128

Now, if someone says that there tattoo is meaningful, significant, etc. (which is the case with most corps tattoos) I can respect that. I don't understand, but I can respect it. If they say it's so, they mean it.

But there is a tattoo fad among teens and twenty-somethings that's reared its ugly head in the past half-decade. When not getting a tattoo is making a statement, things have perhaps gone a little too far. It's all good, though. In ten years or so (when today's hipsters with ironic finger tattoos are corporate drones gunning for the big promotion) I'm going to start investing heavily in the tattoo removal industry, and I expect to make a bundle.

I am sorry your grandfather "hated" his tattoo but the real question is why? Was he not proud of serving in the Navy? Did he feel it no longer looked good 50 years later ( he could get it touched up)? Was it something he did while he was NOT sober? Or was it because of the judgments of others who made him feel uncomfortable or awkward about his decision?

I don't think it was anything complicated. His time in the military was just a couple years, and with the passage of time, and becoming a business owner, and perspective changing......he grew to regret his decision . It's like when someone gets a tattoo of his girlfriend's name. Seemed pretty important and meaningful and heartfelt at the time...then they break up.

I don't think it was anything complicated. His time in the military was just a couple years, and with the passage of time, and becoming a business owner, and perspective changing......he grew to regret his decision . It's like when someone gets a tattoo of his girlfriend's name. Seemed pretty important and meaningful and heartfelt at the time...then they break up.

Most tattoo artists will tell you to not get a name for that very reason.

As for my own ink...never regretted it, as it's a memorial to one of my cats.

Mischief1.jpg

And my wife's...spiritual in context for her

Pair.jpg

Neither of us have any regrets...they're for OUR purposes...not to shock or awe anyone else.

She'll get more when she feels the need. I plan to in the future when I'm ready...and some of them will be corps related.

Edited by 84BDsop

I have the Colts triangle on my right bicep far above a normal short-sleeve shirt line. I also have a crossed M1903A3 rifle and bugle on my left shoulder. I have a rough time explaining what both mean when I'm asked but I doubt there will be any regret any time down the road. They are both reminders of the lessons I learned through the passions I have been involved in. None of them are visible in regular attire as they're for me, not others.

For me, the corps tat was a no-brainer. :)