What was/is the COOLEST opening statement

Personally for me, i think the opening of the 2001 SCV show is one of the coolest, if not THE coolest show openings I've ever seen.

What do you guys think?

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's go waaaay back.

1975 Madison Scouts "Slaughter on 10th Avenue". Yeah nothing but pure volume, then you realize the volume is coming from BEHIND the back sideline..... :thumbup:

Santa Clara Vanguard's 1991 "Miss Saigon" helicopter effect done entirely on drum heads.

I would give that one a close second Michael. I still think what Regiment is doing this year is extra special.

I know this kinda lacks on the goose bump meter, but watching Garfield pull off the scatter to block in 1985 was a huge WOW moment. And to toot my own horn, Freelancers 1988 and 1989 Big box to tight box was pretty darn cool too!

Let's go waaaay back.

1975 Madison Scouts "Slaughter on 10th Avenue". Yeah nothing but pure volume, then you realize the volume is coming from BEHIND the back sideline..... :thumbup:

probably the best ever

I would give that one a close second Michael. I still think what Regiment is doing this year is extra special.

I know this kinda lacks on the goose bump meter, but watching Garfield pull off the scatter to block in 1985 was a huge WOW moment. And to toot my own horn, Freelancers 1988 and 1989 Big box to tight box was pretty darn cool too!

I was going to also nominate Garfield 85. It was the first real scatter drill to a form I am aware of, had members starting off the field (off front sideline, back sideline - all of whom enetered through the end zone, so lots of ground covered and even one in the tunnel), and was a great illustration of Zingali's ability to visually interpret the music (multiple moving lines crescendo to one big ensmble hit).

There are SO many cool ones out there, it's impossible to come up with even just a few...

BD 88

SCV 87 (whole opener)

Star 87 and 88

Garfield 84 (start with a ballad)

Garfield 85 (start inyaface)

Spirit 86 (GEORGIA inyaface)

BD 96 (are these guys loud!?)

Bridgemen 80

27th Lancers 82

Boston Crusaders 86

Vanguard 85-86 (sops followed by low brass, awesome!)

Phantom 89

A few off the top of my head, and I've been out of the game for a while so I can't speak to the newer stuff as easily (one that springs to mind is BD 03, the awesome drum solo stuff). But anyway TONS of great opening statements and all memorable and very cool.

on a side note, the whole "start the show before the announcement" schtick all the corps are doing these days, to me, really detracts from the whole opening statement thing. I hope they drop it as the lame fad it is.