What was/is the COOLEST opening statement

1975 Madison - How about the inhale right before the first note.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wait for it, wait for it... Phantom Regiment 1996, the best slow build ever.

For me it is North Star from '79 and '80. Nice and fast with an amazing soloist and a huge brass hit.

Check it out of the Fan Network if you can.

I've gotta nominate Madison 1999 here. The huuuuuge scatter all swirling and condensing into the big hit is incredible! I believe at finals, one member started in the tunnel, and made it to the form right before the hit. Can anyone say if that is correct or not? I haven't watched the show in a while.

PR 91 - awesome start with the cool guard costumes and the Nessun Dorma mello solo to the build to the hit. It was electric. :tongue:

Ditto also to whoever said Star 90 - started with pure power that just kept building till you thought your head was going to explode.

Hmmm... as a drummer, my first choice will probably always be the Blue Devils 2003 show (The Phenomenon of Cool) with the solo snare. That's BD's performing philosophy in a nutshell right there.

Dit-dah-DIT--dah-diggity diggity dit. :worthy::tongue:

I also loved Madison's 2001 (Hot Jazz, Madison Style) first note from Ballet in Brass - full throttle from the opening.

Mike

This will take me a while to think about, but the one most fresh in my mind is definitely Phantom this year. Everything about it is perfect, IMO. The off-field intro, leading into the solo with amazing front ensemble writing as the backdrop, all the way through the point they turn forward and the Mellos let it rip. Now the two minutes or so that follow are another story...