What was/is the COOLEST opening statement

Cavaliers 75 and 76 still give me old skool goosebumps for off-the-line in your face Drum Corps. And 81 as mentioned too.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

+1 on '91 SCV and '75 Madison...

'75 27th - Crown Imperial build into the goose/kick step;

'80 Spirit - no hiding what they wanted to do with that hit...

'10 Madison - "Step into the 'Way Back' machine, Sherman..."

BTW, WestCoaster, what did you like about our opener in '82?

Greg

Just one example for now (I'll think of more later):

Crown 2008 ... the opening at the Show of Shows. They cut Candide at the beginning of the season while they were rewriting the drill, so the show started right on the impact. It was amazing to see the people in the audience just get blown away by the the sheer power of that impact. Gave me chills!

Santa Clara Vanguard's 1991 "Miss Saigon" helicopter effect done entirely on drum heads.

Ya that was wicked cool. I fear these days the same effect would be accomplished with the push of a finger, and that sucks. There is no way a synth could replicate those pods playing at different times all over the field with the bass drums simulating the Doppler effect.

BTW, WestCoaster, what did you like about our opener in '82?

Greg

I guess the aggressive articulation of the sops, coupled with the incredible accented singles by the drumline at the end. It, to me, was "drum corps" in a big way (and I was WAY young so that was my intro to drum corps awesomeness). I fell in love with the Lancers wearing out my cassette tape of that show (loved niner-two as well, and the drum solo, and of course Danny Boy as well).

For most, the "ultimate" Lancer opener was maybe Crown Imperial or some others, but for me Seahawk was the bomb.

I fell in love with the Lancers wearing out my cassette tape of that show ...

Heh heh...I fell in love w/ the Lancers wearing out (almost) the live tape my father made during '75 Finals... :tongue:

I had a GREAT time marching w/ them in '82!

Edited by gak27

Cadets 97 hasn't been mentioned yet.... that was pretty cool.

I'm too young for this thread. So I'll have to go with Cadets 2007 (the part when we turned around).