What was/is the COOLEST opening statement

Heh heh...I fell in love w/ the Lancers wearing out (almost) the live tape my father made during '75 Finals... :tongue:

I had a GREAT time marching w/ them in '82!

You guys were awesome!

My "WestCoaster" moniker isn't quite accurate, truth be told. I marched (and taught) on the West Coast out of pure necessity (there were no corps on the East Coast I was into marching). If there had been a 27th Lancers in 87-88ish, I'd DEFINITELY have been a part of it! :worthy: :worthy:

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cadets 2000 still gets me juiced.

Last year's pre-show from Carolina Crown. My favorite part of their program was actually from the beginning of the recording through to Brandt Crocker's announcement. Loved it.

Madison 2003 immediately came to mind when I saw the title of this thread. I loved the percussion rhythm they were pounding out, followed immediately by the shout from the brass. That remains an underrated show.

SCV that year was also terrific. It wasn't a single impact like some of the other nominees, but it was perhaps the best gradual build to an opening hit in DCI history.

Not that its my favorite, loudest, or is a super WOW moment...but...

SCV 2002 (Sound, Shape, and Color) is extremely well done from a holisitc and design standpoint. Music, drill, and guard really come together to portray a rather esoteric theme extremely well.

1980 Spirit of Atalnta

NOTHING

EVEN

COMES

CLOSE

!!!!!!!

When I first heard a recording of the 1992 SCV opener from Fiddler on the Roof from the Concord Pavilion I was blown away. It was the most exciting musical opener I had heard. It was so powerful and moving. Im not sure they captured that energy on the field, but it was still a great opener.

Edited by Legolaus

2006 PR

My heart actually stopped beating the first time I heard that. I just sat in the stands slack jawed with my snowcone melting in my hand.