What was/is the COOLEST opening statement

surprised that 1991 Phantom hasn't got much mention

Nessun Dorma (from Turandot);

Beautiful soft intro with curtain rising, and then the huge pyramid and stunning sound as the corps moving it backwards

Edited by blueorginal

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sorry, but your answer is wrong.

Oh, yeah, you're right, how silly of me.

What I meant to say was the 1991 Superman Intro!

Now get back to work.

Personally for me, i think the opening of the 2001 SCV show is one of the coolest, if not THE coolest show openings I've ever seen.

What do you guys think?

Hawthorne Muchachos.... 1975.... Jeff Kievet, sop. soloist. Corps opens with brass, drums, flags going full bore..., then everything stops ...completely stops. no marching.. nothing... Jeff does his brief solo filled with trills, standing alone, finishes with the high note, that leads into the rest of the drums, brass coming in..... that was pretty cool... (I think he's a trumpet player today in some big time bands around the country)

Edited by BRASSO

Blue Devils 1979 - Has all the typical BD rythms, then culimates in a HUGE brass stack at the end with ballsando triplet drum gaks to finish it off.

2004 SCV, who opened their OTL with...(everyone take a huge "Raymond Burr" breath now) A REALLY LOUD looooooooooooonnnnnnnggggggg noooooooooooottttee.................!!!

1982 Crossmen - The first 2 minutes of Russian Xmas Music, their opener. It had a HUGE intro with a "call and answer" stack then...BOP!!!! followed by the contra section holding a single note for 16 counts while one of the drummers played sleigh bells...chills, baby, chills...I think there was a huge set rotation drill-wise going on at the same time too...

'82 Garfield's opening statement, with the ultra-screamer who glissandos up to an octuple Z sharp something that makes my dog bark every time I listen to it.

'84 SCV - all sops playing the opening lick in unison into a mass crescendo, then a KA-WHAM!! with the low brass entrance ("We are SCV, and we can play REALLY LOUD too!") :tongue:

Edited by SCV Biker

Hawthorne Muchachos.... 1975.... Jeff Kievet, sop. soloist. Corps opens with brass, drums, flags going full bore..., then everything stops ...completely stops. no marching.. nothing... Jeff does his brief solo filled with trills, standing alone, finishes with the high note, that leads into the rest of the drums, brass coming in..... that was pretty cool... (I think he's a trumpet player today in some big time bands around the country)

AND, when he played to the fans on the back side then turned front....was that 74 ? Senility has set in

I've got a few, but they're all for different reasons.

Madison '75-for just pure impact

Spirit '80 for pure emotion

SCV '85 Just cause it's Festive Overture

SCV '91 just cause it's so cool with the helos

Madison '99 still love that one, it just works

SCV '01 for huge change of direction, pretty melody to big impact

SCV '09/ Phantom '96 for the slow build opening

Phantom '10, for pure beauty

BK '10- Low brass goodness

Sorry, had to add in '85 SCV. That was an opening. Festive Overture, that was truly an intense opening

Edited by fsubone

on a side note, the whole "start the show before the announcement" schtick all the corps are doing these days, to me, really detracts from the whole opening statement thing. I hope they drop it as the lame fad it is.

I actually like this fad, I like the way it eases into the opening statement. I think it increases the expectation and suspense of when the corps cuts loose

As much as I like '80 Spirit my vote here goes to...

'78 Bridgemen - Fire Dance/Sabre Dance mad sops cutting loose.

That one really blew me away. Loud and wonderfully nasty with those brass horns. It definitely got your attention. That whole show is one of my favorites musically.

1982 Crossmen - The first 2 minutes of Russian Xmas Music, their opener. It had a HUGE intro with a "call and answer" stack then...BOP!!!! followed by the contra section holding a single note for 16 counts while one of the drummers played sleigh bells...chills, baby, chills...I think there was a huge set rotation drill-wise going on at the same time too...
That was fantastic, but I believe it was their closer.

To me: the winner is Garfield Cadets 1985, with the one kid flying in from the tunnel and making his form in time, and then...BAM, the big hit.

The Cadets 1997 throw down of 16th notes at blazing speed is up there.

SCV in 1991 is up there for me

Phantom Regiment 2008

Blue Devils 2006