What was/is the COOLEST opening statement

As much as I like '80 Spirit my vote here goes to...

'78 Bridgemen - Fire Dance/Sabre Dance mad sops cutting loose.

Awwww......that was mine!!!

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1982 Crossmen - The first 2 minutes of Russian Xmas Music, their opener. It had a HUGE intro with a "call and answer" stack then...BOP!!!! followed by the contra section holding a single note for 16 counts while one of the drummers played sleigh bells...chills, baby, chills...I think there was a huge set rotation drill-wise going on at the same time too...

Russian Xmas Music was Crossmen's exit, not opener in 1982.

Let's go waaaay back.

1975 Madison Scouts "Slaughter on 10th Avenue". Yeah nothing but pure volume, then you realize the volume is coming from BEHIND the back sideline..... :tongue:

Jim, that gets my vote too.

There have been a whole bunch of great opening statements from many corps over the years... Spirit 1980, Blue Devils 1996, among others... but there's something about that particular one from the Scouts. Sheer, unadulterated power....from a mile away. LOL.

Definitely had that "this is OUR show to win" vibe to it.

Edited by Fran Haring

My first intro to drum corps and it has been imprinted in my mind ever since. 1978 Blue Devils. Opening silver flag work to the salute/rifle toss, followed by drum intro with fast moving drill (70's style), then hit me with the big brass opening sound of Stan Kenton's Chicago III Suite!

Brain candy :tongue:

Cavaliers 1990 - one of my favorite moments was when the corps swung around in that opening statement and does the crazy 2 beat crescendo from piano to triple forte!

Personally for me, i think the opening of the 2001 SCV show is one of the coolest, if not THE coolest show openings I've ever seen.

What do you guys think?

Let's go waaaay back.

1975 Madison Scouts "Slaughter on 10th Avenue". Yeah nothing but pure volume, then you realize the volume is coming from BEHIND the back sideline..... :tongue:

I"m with you........the pure "WE'RE HERE".....message right off the bat, and nothing subtle about it!!

GB

2001 Scouts

/thread

I know this is self serving, but I am going to have to go with Marauders 92. Entire guard with HUGE sails coming up though the horn line, HUGE horn sound, followed by the jolly roger dropped from each sail on the last chord. I et goose bumps every time I watch it. Not sure if anyone remembers that show, but it was a blast to perform.