Close-ups of Little Geoffrey?

My son saw his first DCI show ever in the theater tonight. He has developmental disabilities and is perpetually twelve in some regards (he's 21), so I consider him an easy audience for performers, as he's not very demanding or discriminating. I got a kick out of listening to his reactions to shows, because he had absolutely no prior experience with drum corps and no knowledge of any of the shows.

He said he liked the Cadets show except for Little Jeffrey. He thought LJ was stupid and would have preferred that the cameras had ignored LJ to show the rest of the corps.

I had to agree with him.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He said he liked the Cadets show except for Little Jeffrey. He thought LJ was stupid and would have preferred that the cameras had ignored LJ to show the rest of the corps.

So I take it the broadcast (which I had to miss for work) did indeed show close-ups of Little Geoffrey? Would it have been a better show if they hadn't?

(And why does almost everyone here continue to spell his name as "Jeffrey"?)

the word cheese is being thrown around a lot and i challenge people to point out exactly what is "cheesy". everything in that show is so appropriate to the show!

you are missing the entertainment value of this show if you really think jeff is "cheesy". a little boy who erns his stripes and becomes the cadets drum major!

I agree. The quarterfinals at the theater was the first time I saw the Cadets' show all season..... and I thought the storyline was pretty cool. Over the top at times, perhaps... but so what. It was a lighthearted, "fun" show. Kudos to them for doing it.

My son saw his first DCI show ever in the theater tonight. He has developmental disabilities and is perpetually twelve in some regards (he's 21), so I consider him an easy audience for performers, as he's not very demanding or discriminating. I got a kick out of listening to his reactions to shows, because he had absolutely no prior experience with drum corps and no knowledge of any of the shows.

I had to agree with him.

It's a good thing you'll have the option to watch the high-camera.

I thought (as if my opinion matters considering my recent posts lately :rolleyes: ) :lol: that it was a fun and funny show. The people in the theater did too.. I honestly think that if a corps can show variety and flexibility in show style and pull it off with their talent and general-design wise I say go for it!

I say bring on the cheese! :shutup: ..as long as it doesn't stink and has taste :shutup: : unlike the ending narration right before the last song, Vesuvius, in 08 (however well-executed and ###### the show was) "Vesuvius" didn't exactly make me think of it being a "wonderful world"- on the contrary! Even if I hadn't heard the music before and didn't know what it was about I don't think I would relate the narration very well with the music.

As far as Jefferey goes, he fit the show rather well. As far as the overall idea is concerned... well it impacted me in a positive way. What can I say? I appreciate the badassery of the 2000 program, but not in the same way as the 2010 program because not all shows impact me the same way. Though there is a consensus on the unique way Drum Corps reaches people, some shows just try to venture outside the norms. It doesn't matter to me all that much as long as the whole activity doesn't become nothing BUT cheese (which in all likelihood won't happen.)

It actually reminded me of Toy Story.

Which brings up the question of why the Cadets keep going back to character driven shows when they have only really been successful with them once (2005).

Yet again, you consider 2007 a failure? They placed 2nd (and should have won IMHO). How is that a failure at all? I know when I marched we would have been plenty happy with 2nd. It's really sad that you think that out of all the shows this year 22 of them are failures, and the only successful show is BD.

Next year Jeffrey will talk about how being an Athlete of God helped him in his courageous battle against cancer and anti-band bullies while wearing a bunny suit and running repeatedly into a door.

But seriously...as much as I was prepared to dislike it, I kind of liked the show this year, Jeffry & all. Not loved it mind you, but kind of liked it.

The problem I see in Cadets is they put all their weight into these "characters" and then when the show is not selling to the crowd,,they are kind of stuck with it and cannot get away from it.

2005 to 2006 was a good example. 2005 the girls in the dream was a huge hit. Then George decided in 2006 that hey,,if they liked that,,lets give them more of it. Then he had bunnies hopping up and down the field and once he realized the public was not buying it,,he was stuck with it and could not get away from it.

What year was it they had the couch? Was that the This I believe show? Well by the end of the season even George said publicly that the show was not working and he tried hard to fix it but the damage was done.

What I am saying is its ok to try something new,,,but do not put all your chips into one deck unless you know you are going to come up with a royal flush. That has been the biggest problem of the Cadets the last 4 years. Its not the horn line or the visual package,,its these theams that are just not selling. What can George do now? He can't cut Geoffery. The whole show is pretty much built around him.

Bluecoats might be a good example too with their flugel soloist. The guy can play and its working with the show and the crowd. But what if it didn't????? Simple,,you move a few things around and do this and do that to improve your position. Bluecoats are not stuck with this single guy on the field. They can work around him,,but its working so don't go and fix it right?