Close-ups of Little Geoffrey?

IMHO Drum Corps is about not being a band geek. In fact, for me, I marched drum corps to do the activity without all the cheese and bad taste that goes into college marching band and football band. The themes that the Cadets keep trying to push, to me, are marketing themselves as band geeks.

I recognize the difficulty and demand of what the performers in the Cadets do. I just can't get into what they are selling. I always envisioned drum corps as having certain lines you didn't cross, in regards to pride and expectations.

I'm not an old drum corps guy, in fact my first drum corps show was DCI East in 2000. I can live with electronics, in good taste. I just can't drink the coolaid with the Cadets. They just come across very bando to me. I respect them as a corps with a strong history, and their membership is very talented and works very hard. However, for the last 5 or 6 years I've had a very difficult time with their shows. If I was in that corps, and they brought out a bunny, a mad hatter, had a talk show, or had Little Jeffrey running around; I couldn't stomach that.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find Jeffery / Goeffery less abrasive than people who use big words in their post that I don't understand.

:tongue:

Edited by The Other Mike

I think the YEA USSBA affiliation had directly affected the cheese factor the Cadets seem to now employ. I was unlucky enough to see one of the shows with the "Nyah-nyah" pre-recorded Jeffrey audio clips. It was horrible. I mean, how does that even pass your internal filters of being presentable? I guess if you can't learn from your mistakes ('07, '08) you're doomed to repeat them.

I grew up with Cadets only doing cool stuff. They seemed to have lost that muse and replaced it with one that specializes in sophomoric, cheesy, bad, hackneyed ideas.

I could be missing a year or two, but the last Cadets show that rocked me was the 2000 show, which was epic. Not a cheesy moment in sight. What happened?

Edited by atlvalet

the word cheese is being thrown around a lot and i challenge people to point out exactly what is "cheesy". everything in that show is so appropriate to the show!

you are missing the entertainment value of this show if you really think jeff is "cheesy". a little boy who erns his stripes and becomes the cadets drum major! I`ve never seen another drum corps show that has made laugh, cry, and scream in excitement. all three emotions in eleven minutes! Thank you cadets for being the only corps to give us the true emotional range of drum corps.

I think the YEA USSBA affiliation had directly affected the cheese factor the Cadets seem to now employ. I was unlucky enough to see one of the shows with the "Nyah-nyah" pre-recorded Jeffrey audio clips. It was horrible. I mean, how does that even pass your internal filters of being presentable? I guess if you can't learn from your mistakes ('07, '08) you're doomed to repeat them.

I grew up with Cadets only doing cool stuff. They seemed to have lost that muse and replaced it with one that specializes in sophomoric, cheesy, bad, hackneyed ideas.

I could be missing a year or two, but the last Cadets show that rocked me was the 2000 show, which was epic. Not a cheesy moment in sight. What happened?

Well you'll be happy to know they took that part out and the piece just ends in a loud-### chord. :lol:

the word cheese is being thrown around a lot and i challenge people to point out exactly what is "cheesy". everything in that show is so appropriate to the show!

you are missing the entertainment value of this show if you really think jeff is "cheesy". a little boy who erns his stripes and becomes the cadets drum major! I`ve never seen another drum corps show that has made laugh, cry, and scream in excitement. all three emotions in eleven minutes! Thank you cadets for being the only corps to give us the true emotional range of drum corps.

Chees-y (adj): Banal or trite. Saccharine.

IMHO, you don't understand what is/isn't cheezy if you can't smell even a hint of it from Jeffrey. Hell, the show doesn't even need Jeffrey. It would be a cool show without him in it. Were you that person sitting a row in front of me to the right at Murfreesboro who kept cackling in delight at every super-sugary sweet moment? Literally cackling?

Jeffery is the antithesis of everything I grew up to love about drum corps. Jeffery appeals to the lowest common denominator of cheese. He is the Jar-Jar Binks of drum corps. Not that funny, unless you're the kind of person who laughs at everything.

Oh golly gee, gosh darn it. That show just leaves me with an "Awww shucks" feeling now that you mention it. Actually, no, not really. I stand by my previous statement.

Well you'll be happy to know they took that part out and the piece just ends in a loud-### chord. :lol:

That is terrific. I am of the opinion it should have never been put in in the first place. And, on top of that, what person in their right mind could have thought that was a good idea? I know there are many talented people working for the Cadets, and I am going to guess that that idea came from one person. But hey, maybe I'm wrong. I just don't think that I am. I think it came from the same person who wrote the horrible narrative in '07.

Now, all that being said, I used to be a Cadets homer. I am just waiting for the days that the terrible elements are removed from otherwise cool shows (like '07). And the last time I remember those days was the 2000 show.

Edited by atlvalet

Not a big fan of 08, but 07 was HARDLY a mistake.

They have had many great shows since then..esp 2005 and even 2009, plus of course this year. 07 was great, as were parts of most of their shows. In fact the ONLY show I never got into at all was 04.

Atlvalet, I think you need to relax a little bit. Getting a little too excited about the subject are we?