Quarterfinals Open Thread

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you meant, "Uuuuueeeeeeps."

ahahahahahaha

guys/gals...... really, it is Bluuuuuueeeee not Bloooooo..... you Bloooooo up a baloon. you eat Bluuuueeee berries. See you tomorrow in the lot.

Since I know better than to discuss drum corps on these forums, I'll discuss pronunciation.

I disagree on your analysis. The desire sound comes from the OO, think fOOd. It's not fued. You BloW up a baloon. THe W is a big difference.

Ok, well then that begs the question....why?! Why choose abstract jazz?

Why not??

It's great that the Madison Scouts are playing a straight-forward, classic drum corps repertoire, something designed to bring fans up out of their seats. It's also great that the Blue Devils are playing a show for fans who want something a little more complicated. Diversity is a good thing, and between the twelve shows I'll see on Saturday night I'm bound to find some that I like, even if there are some that I don't. As long as you find enough shows that entertain you, why waste time being hostile toward the shows that don't?

Why not??

It's great that the Madison Scouts are playing a straight-forward, classic drum corps repertoire, something designed to bring fans up out of their seats. It's also great that the Blue Devils are playing a show for fans who want something a little more complicated. Diversity is a good thing, and between the twelve shows I'll see on Saturday night I'm bound to find some that I like, even if there are some that I don't. As long as you find enough shows that entertain you, why waste time being hostile toward the shows that don't?

Well put, Matt. :lol:

Did I seem bitter???? not bitter here. they are good.

Nah, I know I replied to you (more out of curiosity regarding the finals clean by Texas thing) specifically, but I was mainly just commenting about people who talk about being tired or upset that Blue Devils have been so successful lately. Perhaps you were meaning that it's hard to get enthused watching a show when the corp has been so good for so long: kind of a "been there, done that, seen that all season" type of mindset maybe?

I actually was at the Open at Torrey Pines and watched Tiger win the playoff round, and even though I had no doubts that he would get it together and win, it was still an incredible sight and I loved every minute of it. I guess for me watching anything at an extremely high level is always interesting; I DEFINITELY don't always root for the Top seed, but it's hard for me to get annoyed, or bored at watching high level of talent execute and get the job done.

Why not??

Amen. Preach!

I'm tempted to throw a "Hallejulah!" in there.

Thoughts from the theater:

BD: Echoing 2000Cadet, definitely not an engaging show for me at all but yeah, pretty much perfect on a performance level.

Cavies/Bluecoats: Really got my head bopping in spots (esp. Bluecoats' last number). Didn't care for the mic'd brass players. Just PLAY LOUDER, guys! Hell, BD proved that you don't need mic's to have a soloist heard.

Crown: LOVE the hornline sound, esp. the Mahler, but just can't get into the show as a whole. "Rewind" segment was good, but the new ending after that felt flat to me.

Cadets: The show I've seen the most this season, can't get enough of that brass line. A noticeable visual difference between them and the lower corps.

Regiment: Intro had me almost in tears, then the popping and scratching mic's REALLY had me in tears.

Vanguard: Another great performance.

Blue Stars: They've gotta be frustrated at the prospect of another 8th place finish with what they bring to the field. On the sheets it's so tantalizingly close, but I just don't think they have what it takes to move up past where they are at this point in drum corps.

Boston: Didn't really like the show.

BK: First 2 parts were great, didn't really like the ending tonight. We lost sound in the theater during most of Sully's interview.

Madison: One word- ELECTRIC!!!

Glassmen: Show's gotten a little weird since I saw them last in Denver. Ok, but not going anywhere out of 12th place this year.

Colts/Academy/Troopers: Show started a bit earlier than I thought so I missed these corps :lol:

Why play lame music that drum corps fans have heard a dozen times already? Why waste time with a Top Level hall of fame design team when you're just going to rehash another show? Why limit a kick ### hornline with just "whailing" (sic) when you can explore so many other musical concepts?

Lame music? I wouldn't expect them to play "lame" music. And who said anything about rehashing another show?

"Ooooo...Blue Devils are so cutting edge." So are all the kids at the mall expressing their individuality by looking like everyone else...with their skinny jeans and goth/emo/meth-user look. Esoteric and weird don't make you "cutting edge". Besides, it wasn't as if they were exploring some new world here. It was the same visual monstrosity with musical accompaniment (horn stabs, et. al) that we've seen for the last 10-12 years.

We in the drum corps community have become so addicted to the visual that we're partly to blame. So I am left with the question of why? Why waste an incredible hornline like that re-hashing the same theme that's been on the scene for the last 10 years or so? Just like the kids at the mall standing out by blending in. It's a shame...

And I'm not a BD hater. I love love the Devs...or, used to at least...