Quarterfinals Open Thread

Recaps are up: I don't even know why I bother questioning scores anymore, especially during finals week... but how the heck does the Cadets hornline go from placing 1st and 2nd all season to 5th? I mean, seriously.

I think Albert Lo has been reading too many DCP posts about the Blue Devils music.... puts them in 4th in rep.

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Recaps are up: I don't even know why I bother questioning scores anymore, especially during finals week... but how the heck does the Cadets hornline go from placing 1st and 2nd all season to 5th? I mean, seriously.

how about a perfect 20 for Blue Devils colorguard tonight ?

I think Albert Lo has been reading too many DCP posts about the Blue Devils music.... puts them in 4th in rep.

I respect what BD is doing; they're #### good. I just want the other corps, who are #### good (though not as well-rounded), to get the same respect from the judges. Two points between Cavies and Cadets, and Cavies and Crown? Give me a break.

Interesting. After a couple years there where it seemed every caption lined up pretty close to the overall placements, these ordinals are all over the place.

A second place colorguard aside, Bluecoats' visual scores are killing 'em - visual GE included. They actually tied BD for first in Music GE, and just lost the overall Music caption by .15.

Cavies/Bluecoats: Really got my head bopping in spots (esp. Bluecoats' last number). Didn't care for the mic'd brass players. Just PLAY LOUDER, guys! Hell, BD proved that you don't need mic's to have a soloist heard.

Are you sure that their soloists don't have mics? When I watched them rehearse in Dallas, one of the trumpet soloists was definitely using a wireless microphone. They may have taken it out, which is why I'm asking.

Lame music? I wouldn't expect them to play "lame" music. And who said anything about rehashing another show?

"Ooooo...Blue Devils are so cutting edge." So are all the kids at the mall expressing their individuality by looking like everyone else...with their skinny jeans and goth/emo/meth-user look. Esoteric and weird don't make you "cutting edge". Besides, it wasn't as if they were exploring some new world here. It was the same visual monstrosity with musical accompaniment (horn stabs, et. al) that we've seen for the last 10-12 years.

We in the drum corps community have become so addicted to the visual that we're partly to blame. So I am left with the question of why? Why waste an incredible hornline like that re-hashing the same theme that's been on the scene for the last 10 years or so? Just like the kids at the mall standing out by blending in. It's a shame...

And I'm not a BD hater. I love love the Devs...or, used to at least...

It seems like part of what you're not into is the nature of the source music itself, going by your questions "why dissonance?" etc.

So we'll just have to disagree, on those terms alone... I see this musical premise as far from a waste. To say nothing of what they actually do with it, which I think is fabulous.

Blue Stars: They've gotta be frustrated at the prospect of another 8th place finish with what they bring to the field. On the sheets it's so tantalizingly close, but I just don't think they have what it takes to move up past where they are at this point in drum corps.

All nice thoughts, just wanted to take a sec. and comment on Blue Stars.

I said this a few years ago, but I think that Top 7 really is the 'new' Top 6 (maybe even Top 5). Blue Stars were able to stay 8th in yet another VERY challenging year of competition. Looking at their score, it seems obvious that Blue Stars will be no lower than 8th, and have a shot at potentially moving up. I think it's become increasingly more difficult over the last several years to constantly move up, so I think it's a testament that Blue Stars have been strong enough to maintain their Top 8 status. I think they are one strong show design away from giving the judges that extra "something" that puts them up into the Top 7 (i.e. the new Top 6). That's a huge leap for any corps, and I applaud Blue Stars for being close and continuing their great strides. Looking at the recaps. GE is obviously what's holding them back; with a more sophisticated show design, I think they're right there at 7th/6th.

Either way, another great year for Blue Stars, and I wish them luck the next two nights!! :lol:

Some one mentioned earlier that BAC had a 2 point timing penality. According to the recap their is no penality. Madison is very close to BAC. Go SCOUTS.