Already Back from the Theater

Well, after 3 corps, I left. I spoke twice to the movie theater folks about the lack of audio quality and was told that it was the broadcast and not their system. Sure enough, right before Colts went on, I could hear the only thing in surround sound besides the bass synth, which was a crowd shout out. Since I have Fan Network, I will save my frustration. An email to DCI is being drafted right now.

My question is this...

Isn't this broadcast suppose to be in hi-def? Or is that only for the DVD's?

What bothered me about the broadcast? The sound wasn't surround. It came predominately from the front (by the screen). When the corps were finished, the audio when Steve Rondinaro was talking was much better. The commercials and drum corps audio clips prior to the broadcast were sounding nice, as well. When the corps were playing, it sounded like it came from the Lucas Field tunnel.

Also, the annoying blue dots all over the place. Sort of looked like the blue knights dots. I kind of wonder about the quality of the lenses that were being used. That is obviously being caused by light reflecting inside the lens.

Anyways, I am curious to see what others feel about their experience when they come back from the theaters. I sure hope tomorrow night's webcast isn't more of the same. By the way, the audio from the Atlanta regional was just as horrendous.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My email I just sent off to DCI...

""I went to the "Big Loud Live! 7" at the Horton Plaza movie theater in San Diego. I left after 3 corps had performed. I was not awarded a refund, nor do I really care. But, my experience was just miserable to watch and listen.

Obviously, the movie theater system was working properly, since prior to the broadcast, old drum corps clips during drum corps trivia, sounded great. Then, as soon as the corps started performing live on the screen, I could not believe the lack of audio quality. It didn't sound surround-sound at all. All the audio mainly came from up front. The only thing I heard on the speakers in the back of the theater was the bass synth and a crowd shot-out right before the Colts performed. Also, when Steve Rondinaro would talk, it sounded much better.

I spoke to 2 different movie theater staff about the lack of audio quality. The second person I spoke to right before the Academy performed, informed me it was not their fault and that the live broadcast was at fault and they could do nothing about it. I noticed one couple sat through one corp performance and complained, as well. They left and I left one corps later (right after the Academy).

The other very annoying glitch was the blue dots from the field cameras. This is obviously bright light bouncing around inside the camera's lens that is causing this.

Can we get a professional production crew next year and perhaps thereafter to do what a professional production company should deliver? This is not even close to professional quality.

I do not wish for a refund. I am just voicing my displeasure about not only this broadcast but also all season long on the Fan Network (for which I am subscribed also). The quality is very poor, especially from an organization that boasts itself as the "Marching Music's Major league."

With all the technology at our hands in 2010, DCI needs to deliver a much better product to all it's drum corps fan and supporters.

I hope between now and next season, you take a long hard look at making obvious improvements, which the fans should be getting right now.

Thanks and I look forward to your response."

My understanding is that "high-definition" applies only to the DVDs. It was a bit confusing the way it was worded on the Fan Network.

My understanding is that "high-definition" applies only to the DVDs. It was a bit confusing the way it was worded on the Fan Network.

Ok. That's what I was thinking. But still, the audio should sound much better than that and it did the last time I went to the theaters in 2008 (the same theater, in fact). So, either this is a by-product of Lucas Oil Field or for some reason, the bandwidth on the streaming broadcast was drastically reduced.

I probably would have stayed (just b/c I paid for it) but - I would have still sent the email.

sorry your experience was crummy. that stinks! (I'm kinda glad we didn't go!)

I probably would have stayed (just b/c I paid for it) but - I would have still sent the email.

sorry your experience was crummy. that stinks! (I'm kinda glad we didn't go!)

I am not even that picky. I just want to hear it loud and in stereo. I am not sure what in the world is going on, but I could only listen to one corps from the Atlanta regional, as well.

Ok. That's what I was thinking. But still, the audio should sound much better than that and it did the last time I went to the theaters in 2008 (the same theater, in fact). So, either this is a by-product of Lucas Oil Field or for some reason, the bandwidth on the streaming broadcast was drastically reduced.

I've read comments similar to yours with past cinecasts, which is why I'm leery of making the two-hour drive to Syracuse to see it. If I know that in fact, the sound quality is going to be good, then I'd be a lot more eager to go. But comments like yours and others about poor sound and video quality don't exactly get me fired up about traveling that distance . . . and I'm hard-pressed to understand what the problem is. I take it "Live from the Met" doesn't have these issues?

I saw a live from the met thing - it was just fine.

I've seen the dci stuff twice - they were both just "ok." of course, I'm not as big of a sound buff as some - I'm only bothered if the sound is fuzzy, electronic noise, or just really quiet. I don't need to be deaf (or have my ears ringing when I leave). But, some do, so I get that. I think I've just been happy to see drum corps, so maybe it didn't matter to me.

but - you figure, if you're gonna pay 13.00ish for a ticket, you'd want it to be decent.

I saw a live from the met thing - it was just fine.

I've seen the dci stuff twice - they were both just "ok." of course, I'm not as big of a sound buff as some - I'm only bothered if the sound is fuzzy, electronic noise, or just really quiet. I don't need to be deaf (or have my ears ringing when I leave). But, some do, so I get that. I think I've just been happy to see drum corps, so maybe it didn't matter to me.

but - you figure, if you're gonna pay 13.00ish for a ticket, you'd want it to be decent.

The main reason I went was to hear the hornlines of The Academy, Madison Scouts, and Crown. Can you see why I would be very disappointed now? LOL

I am not even that picky. I just want to hear it loud and in stereo. I am not sure what in the world is going on, but I could only listen to one corps from the Atlanta regional, as well.

Perhaps it isn't. Tom Blair said on a podcast that once the signal leaves the broadcast point to the satellite, all else is beyond their control. The webcast is then picked up by the various theaters around the country. Satellites are used for the internet, too. A lot of 'net goes through them.

Last week I read a small article in a regional newspaper about the sun (Old Sol) burping, emitting a huge amount of gamma or some such thing. The particulars escape me. It did say this emission could effect a satellite's ability to rebroadcast properly.

Perhaps? No idea. And yet...

Edited by Mellofello01