What the heck has happened to PR since 2008?

Just wanting to know why they've dropped off in the past 2 years, save drums. It seems like they've had very entertaining, crowd pleasing shows from 2003(which i consider their breakout year) through 2008.

2009, 2010, just aren't up to par with what I've come to expect from them.

Anyone have a clue? just a 2 year down period? what gives?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm also not trying to bash Phantom, but...

So many of the errors people griped about with their 2009 production were ALL OVER THE PLACE in their 2008 show!

I have never believed that Spartacus should have won that evening, and, in my opinion, their relative demise these past few seasons all but proves my point.

To more succinctly answer your question, I think they've always had the problems they have now (visual, color guard, overall design, etc.)...it's just that there is a lot more competition up top, with Crown and Bluecoats now in the mix! Where is Regiment now...around 6th? Take away these two corps, and they're in 4th, which was about where they were from 2003-2007.

So many of the errors people griped about with their 2009 production were ALL OVER THE PLACE in their 2008 show!

I have never believed that Spartacus should have won that evening, and, in my opinion, their relative demise these past few seasons all but proves my point.

To more succinctly answer your question, I think they've always had the problems they have now (visual, color guard, overall design, etc.)...it's just that there is a lot more competition up top, with Crown and Bluecoats now in the mix! Where is Regiment now...around 6th? Take away these two corps, and they're in 4th, which was about where they were from 2003-2007.

This.

How Phantom won in 2008 is beyond rational thinking.

2010 is light years beyond 2009. I'm glad Spartacus won. Music should get a higher ranking than it does and PR brought it in 2008.

The colorguard is a MAJOR problem for them and I'm surprised that year after year it remains an issue. Probably some staff changes in order.

Nothing but LOVE here though for PR. One of my favorite shows this year and the opening gives me chill bumps on chill bumps. THAT"S WHY I GO TO DCI!!!

2010 is light years beyond 2009. I'm glad Spartacus won. Music should get a higher ranking than it does and PR brought it in 2008.

Y'know, everyone says that, but whenever I hear people discussing what they loved about Spartacus it's almost always something visual that gets mentioned first.

Just wanting to know why they've dropped off in the past 2 years, save drums. It seems like they've had very entertaining, crowd pleasing shows from 2003(which i consider their breakout year) through 2008.

Saw the show in Atlanta and I thought it was classic Phantom. Beautiful show from beginning to end. No comparison to last year for sure and judging by the crowd response I'd say lots there would agree with me that it was very entertaining. The crowd went CRAZY as the corp entered the field after the opening statement in the tunnel and seemed equally impressed/surprised with the exit. The arrangements are fan friendly with lots of nice hits and the soloist is spot on. The drill might still be a little ambitious but at least they're trying to step it up and the visuals are very nice and work well with their theme. Of course I don't consider 03 to be a "breakout " year as you put it but rather another awesome show from a long line of awesomeness from my favorite corp. And just like Blue Devils deserve to win this year, Phantom deserved to win in 08 with no question.

I have a question for you... Was 2008 your first season? I am just wondering...

That is pretty darn ridiculous. Placement in the years following a championship is somehow indicative of the worthiness of that championship?!?! Hardly. Every season stands on its own.

The colorguard is a MAJOR problem for them and I'm surprised that year after year it remains an issue. Probably some staff changes in order.

I love how everyone rags on their guard, yet the guard had a higher score, and the same ordinal placement as the almighty Regiment hornline tonight...

Phantom has long been plagued with design issues and they habitually underachieve. They barely won in 2008 and have recently come to the field with a sub-par product. This is nothing new though as they were the same way prior to 2008 as well. 2005 was good but other than that? They obviously have the talent to win but their design team plays it very safe visually and conceptually. I love Phantom, but I know they can do better.

Edited by Nizerifin