The audience at my theater went APES@#$ for (x) corps

Maybe...but if you go back and watch the Finals performance of 1993 Star, the audience absolutely erupts after the end of that show. I am a relative newbie to drum corps but it often confuses me when people say this was not a fan favorite. That audience reaction at the end of their show is one of the loudest I've ever heard. :lol:

I'd be happy to eat my words if the audience reacts in a similar nature at Finals to BD's show this year...but right now I just don't see that happening.

I marched in 93 and Star was absolutely hated most of the season. The problem with the show was that it took several viewings to appreciate it. When I saw it at the beginning of the season I hated it. I saw it many more times over the summer and by finals week I was pretty much in awe of the show.

Most of the people that go to shows over the summer only see one show. So most of the people that saw it over he course of the summer didn't like it. Finals are mostly die hard fans who have probably seen more shows and have more time to let the shows sink in so to speak. That would explain the reaction at finals.

So it's possible that we need to let BDs show "sink in" for awhile. But I have a gut feeling at this point that time won't make much difference in how people feel about it. Tonight was the 3rd time Ive seen BD and I really want to like it because it's such a good performance, but I don't feel any different about yet.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can totally get why people don't feel the BD show. when it comes to straight up drum corps Crown has the show and BC too. I think BD and Cav's are both mind blowing shows that are on a different level. If Cavaliers don't upend BD come Saturday they will come close

So whats the deal with everyone posting about how the crowd reacted to BD, supposedly anyways...

I thought this was a BD friendly environment?! :lol:

BDs ending was just weird. I was ready to stand up and go nuts and it sort of left me flat. I think they are going to break all the mirrors on the last note on finals night.

The only two corps they went nuts for in NAshville was Scouts and Cavies.

I marched in 93 and Star was absolutely hated most of the season. The problem with the show was that it took several viewings to appreciate it. When I saw it at the beginning of the season I hated it. I saw it many more times over the summer and by finals week I was pretty much in awe of the show.

Most of the people that go to shows over the summer only see one show. So most of the people that saw it over he course of the summer didn't like it. Finals are mostly die hard fans who have probably seen more shows and have more time to let the shows sink in so to speak. That would explain the reaction at finals.

So it's possible that we need to let BDs show "sink in" for awhile. But I have a gut feeling at this point that time won't make much difference in how people feel about it. Tonight was the 3rd time Ive seen BD and I really want to like it because it's such a good performance, but I don't feel any different about yet.

Thanks for the great info! I wholeheartedly agree with your last statement, their level of performance is amazing.

I was in a packed theatre in southern California. Lots of Blue Devils and SCV alumni in the crowd. Also quite a few guard people who yelled out loudly at all the great guard moves (especially the big guy in crown.) Very respectful group and nobody was booed. It was a lot of fun! I went crazy for Madison Scouts and SCV, cause that's where my baby is : )

There's a lot of people that won't like BD's show because they don't WANT to like BD's show. They want them to lose and they want THEIR corps to win.

not everybody feels this way, but I bet there's a good percentage that do.

Cali.

The crowd was silent in my theater for most of BD's show.. there were some boo's earlier in the night at the mention of their name (hey... I'm on the east coast). Madison probably got the best applause. SCV got the weirdest response. Crown, Cadets, Cavies (in order from least applause to greatest). Hell.. Crossmen got a lot more applause than BD... and I thought that clip was not very flattering AT ALL. But then again we are on the east coast.. even though there are many ill feelings right now.

There's a lot of people that won't like BD's show because they don't WANT to like BD's show. They want them to lose and they want THEIR corps to win.

not everybody feels this way, but I bet there's a good percentage that do.

Cali.

I want to like BD's show because they perform the #### out of it. But I hate their show. Don't think it will grow on me.. I have NEVER had this harsh reaction to a show... maybe that's what they are going for??? I mean all the dissonance can do that to you.. but then again.. Star 93 gets an angry reaction out of me, but I want to stand up and go nuts at the end....

Biggest response was for Madison, Crown, Phantom, Cavies, Phantom, then Bluecoats and SCV were about equal. Cadets took awhile to get applause, and BD was met with silence all around. I was not surprised at all, and I live on the west coast, home of BD lovers. Yeah, they fell really flat, people were cracking jokes and yelling comments during their show, most of which were pretty darn funny. Don't say it was dis-respectful, it's a movie theatre, no one can hear us, and everyone agreed with the jokes.