The audience at my theater went APES@#$ for (x) corps

The theater i was at a few people clapped for Madison and the rest were hardcore Crownies that sat on their hands for everyone that wasn't crown, felt weird being the only one cheering for everyone lol

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Biggest response was for Madison, Crown, Phantom, Cavies, Phantom, then Bluecoats and SCV were about equal. Cadets took awhile to get applause, and BD was met with silence all around. I was not surprised at all, and I live on the west coast, home of BD lovers. Yeah, they fell really flat, people were cracking jokes and yelling comments during their show, most of which were pretty darn funny. Don't say it was dis-respectful, it's a movie theatre, no one can hear us, and everyone agreed with the jokes.

Wow. It seems you live in a sad little part of this world. Then again, hearing that this is your "natural habitat", it explains much of your commentary here.

The theater I attending was mostly Vanguard fans. All were respectful and positive. I heard only one person there that was pretty much negative about everything he saw (kinda wonder why he spent the $18).

The theater i was at a few people clapped for Madison and the rest were hardcore Crownies that sat on their hands for everyone that wasn't crown, felt weird being the only one cheering for everyone lol

I find it a little weird for any applause at a movie screen...who are we clapping for...the projectionist? It still didn't stop anyone at my theater...

Personally, I thought the top three were all amazing tonight....along with Madison and SCV.

How anybody can "crack jokes and yell comments" in the middle of BD's (or any Corps) show is beyond me and says to me that they may have had a pre-disposition NOT to like BD in the first place. West Coast or no West Coast.

A baseball analogy...the L.A. Dodgers are on the same coast as me...but regardless how well they do, I will NEVER like them. Its a fan's bias.

Cali.

Edited by Calistar

The crowd was silent in my theater for most of BD's show.. there were some boo's earlier in the night at the mention of their name (hey... I'm on the east coast). Madison probably got the best applause. SCV got the weirdest response. Crown, Cadets, Cavies (in order from least applause to greatest). Hell.. Crossmen got a lot more applause than BD... and I thought that clip was not very flattering AT ALL. But then again we are on the east coast.. even though there are many ill feelings right now.

Oh yeah... Phantom got A LOT of love too.

Where's Plan9 when we need 'em?

Harahan Louisiana

Cadets got the most applause but I think that group had someone marching in Cadets. They got very upset when the audiance of about 120 started laughing when I said " Someone needs to beat little Jeffery's A## or put him in time out"

Madison 75 got the next largest followed by

Madison 10

Cavies

Phantom

While I loved BD's show it seemed many people were not liking it. More than one said it was too difficult to watch and gave them a headache. I can understand their viewpoint since they are not the type to look into the depth of a show.

Both Coats and Stars left me very flat.

I think SCV is one of those shows that few people can get "into" to appreciate. I loved it.

I loved how Phantom was "light" and enjoyable and I loved the guard.

Cavies really haunted me in several ways.

Wow. It seems you live in a sad little part of this world. Then again, hearing that this is your "natural habitat", it explains much of your commentary here.

Wow, I wouldn't call my part of the world sad. After reading all of the stuff about how people not liking BD's show because it's a regional bias, I think where I was proved that wrong. Not everyone in California loves them. One person made jokes, not during the show, but afterwards, during the commentary. And I did not join in, I chose to have a bit more class than that and just ignore them and clap for everyone, regardless. I did clap the loudest for Madison, SCV, and Cavies, but that's not the point.

My random observations about the telecast and the corps. I get bored with guards that prance around during the obligatory ballads. Too much shredding during drum solos rather than musical drumming. Troopers: please just go back to your classic uniform and stop trying to be clever in this respect. I don't get why the guy from the Glassmen made such an effort to tell Rondinaro that the show was not about religion but was instead spiritual. Of course it was about religion, and who cares if it is? Madison was first corps that perked me up (sorry marching members -- I love all of you, but your staffs give you dull stuff to work with). Blue Knights were a good corps to follow Madison. I like how both play real music. Boston was fairly good in this respect, too, and I love the red cadet uniforms. Blue Stars: handless guard feature at beginning is really cool, and the mellos sound terrific. Santa Clara was great, playing some of my favorite music. One of the best shows in design and visual concept, and I love how Santa Clara maintains their image and icons. I might like Phantom's show a little more if it had more color. Too much white and light color for my tastes. I could take or leave the color alteration on the Cadets guard jackets. I actually kind of liked that they were the same color as the corps proper before. Otherwise, really love Cadets show, which is loaded with trademark moves and sounds of theirs. Great drum break and corresponding visual. Too much attention to Jeffrey. The camera follows the girl around too much in Crown's show, too. Incidentally, there were too many boy-girl scenes among corps tonight. Don't like Crown's uniforms, nor their gold horns. Both make them look bando to me. On the other hand, their horn sound was so good that I had to remind myself that they were actually playing and not marching to recorded music. Bluecoats . . . impressive execution and balance. Cavaliers is my favorite show from front to back. Woman next to me seemed a little freaked out during the pre-show theatrics. I actually really liked the Blue Devils. Applause may have been small because people didn't like the show, or because they were stunned afterwards, as I was. Rightfully well ahead of all the others. The theater was near Milwaukee, so there was a strong Madison backing. Otherwise, Cavaliers got second biggest response. Santa Clara was cheered as they entered the field. Steve Rondinaro was really professional, as always. However, his two sidekicks were a little sparse on words and reactions, I thought. It was as if they had been given the assignment an hour before the telecast and weren't sure what to say. Camera work was pretty good. Corps I liked best: Madison, Blue Knights, Santa Clara, Cadets, Cavaliers, Blue Devils.

How anybody can "crack jokes and yell comments" in the middle of BD's (or any Corps) show is beyond me and says to me that they may have had a pre-disposition NOT to like BD in the first place. West Coast or no West Coast.

That may be. I'm sure there are lots of people out there who were pre-disposed to dislike BD's show, and I feel sorry for them. You miss out on so much of the activity if you don't allow yourself to experience things as they happen, and formulate opinions based on your own experience, not a pre-existing knowledge. The jokes were made after the show was over, I think one person yelled "Where'd he go?" when the drum major went behind the mirror, but that was it. It was mostly during the commentary and during the reading of the scores. I was just pointing out I'm on the West Coast because of a discussion that occurred a while back about regional bias against corps. This seemed to disprove that theory.

And someone mentioned Star again earlier in this thread. The difference I see here, is that by the time Finals did roll around, people had gotten into the Star show, as illustrated by their huge ovation at the end of the show. I just don't see that happening this year with BD. I don't see everyone understanding and getting this show within two days, sad to say. It's nothing against the members at all, maybe this show will take a couple of years to sink in, but it's just not doing it now. My second favorite BD show, '08 took a few months past the end of the season for it to sink in, maybe that will happen this time, I don't know. The things I see happening after this season will either be A.) Corps will pick up on BD's style, and it will revolutionize the activity, or B.) the activity will backlash away from this, and shift to the far other side, with fan-friendly shows for awhile, till it shifts back again. DCI styles are a big pendulum, always shifting.