The audience at my theater went APES@#$ for (x) corps

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Of my ten favorite shows of all time, the Blue Devils hold probably four or five of the slots. I think dissonance is cool! I LOVE discomfort! As someone posted previously, BD's playing and what drill they did was AMAZING!

That being said, no one in the theater really knew what to think of them. And it's not just Blue Devils, but the entire direction of drum corps. One guy said that twenty percent of the show was enjoyable. He felt like his money was wasted on the other eighty percent. I won't go that far, but the loudest ovations came during the Madison and Blue Devils flashbacks and during Madison's "classic" show. That says something.

Maybe they are defining a new musical genre. :tongue:

Edited by KeyboardGuy

maybe he's calistar this week

naw, there's only one Calistar...(and only one Plan9 for that fact :tongue: )

Cali.

Maybe...but if you go back and watch the Finals performance of 1993 Star, the audience absolutely erupts after the end of that show. I am a relative newbie to drum corps but it often confuses me when people say this was not a fan favorite. That audience reaction at the end of their show is one of the loudest I've ever heard. :tongue:

True, but I take it you're watching the telecast video of that performance? At other contests that year, Star was booed. Loudly. Not by everyone, mind you, but there was definitely a contingent who made their opinions known. And even for people who didn't boo, I remember lots of people saying that they were puzzled by Star's show and didn't know what to make of it, and were annoyed by how esoteric it was. Sound familiar?

I think they are going to break all the mirrors on the last note on finals night.

Then they're gonna need a lotta brooms to clean up the field. And then seven years' bad luck for every broken mirror. :tongue:

I find it a little weird for any applause at a movie screen...who are we clapping for...the projectionist? It still didn't stop anyone at my theater...

I've never been to one of these cinecasts (wish they would come to Canada), but my feeling is that people are having a communal experience much as they would have if they were there in-person, at a live drum corps show, and their natural reaction is to clap and show their approval (even if the performing corps can't hear them). It's a spontaneous response to a live (but projected) performance.

Early on in the broadcast I noticed that almost every corps had a moment where they used the echo of the arena for an effect; clearly they had written for that particular field. (Years ago I noticed pictures of the field where finals would be held from the vantage of the GE box hanging over Dave Owen's drawing table at SCV Hall... that's nothing new).

But what IS new is that it's INDOOR drum corps, and BD, Bluecoats and Cavies seem to have embraced that... using the "resonance," especially of the bass frequencies, to create a different, more theatrical environment. It's clear that a certain type of show style is being reinforced by the judges (which in many ways is also not new) but I was struck last night that the corps at the top wrote for the field where finals will be... and that field is indoors. For eight more years.

Is it drum corps? Is Arena Football "Football"? It is what it is. BD's show is brilliant. Is it being overscored? I think so... but their use of the mirrors, on so many levels, is both captivating and (last night on the screen, at least) created an almost CG effect. The ending was a bit anti-climactic, but this is the first BD show in many years that I didn't lose interest in halfway through.

Bottom line, with DCI being indoors for the foreseeable future, I think we're going to see more shows like these because the creative staffs will rightly and naturally write their shows to take advantage of the arena. " Echo: If you can't fight it, USE it"

Same thing happened last year (check the forum for comments).

You're gonna get that...Madison and Cavies have a more fan friendly show...but BD is clearly in a league of their own.

It doesn't matter whether fans in a theater applaud for them or not.

Cali.

Yes but it SHOULD matter. We are the PAYING customer(s).