BD is staying at a hotel?

Or DCI could find another school. If they managed when there were 100+ corps; certainly they can w/ 25...

I know that there are more than 25 schools within a reasonable distance from downtown Indy. And if the city is a 'partner' then perhaps they could help?

Yep, having performing groups like drum corps stay overnight at your school is a legal minefield in a lot of places now. For many districts it is easier to just say "no" than try to figure out a way to make sure their ##### are covered.

Edited by Gibbles

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, having performing groups like drum corps stay overnight at your school is a legal minefield in a lot of places now. For many districts it is easier to just say "no" than try to figure out a way to make sure their ##### are covered.

My point was - in the 'contract w/ Indy' they should have specified that each corps gets a school to stay/rehearse at. 20+ other corps were provided them, and both school boards and city leadership are political entities that benefit from the tax revenue brought in by DCI.

At the very least DCI should pass the billeting costs to the city...

PS - in before close....

Jeez! "The OP (that's me!) was openly hostile"? Wow! I'm not sure how I was openly hostile.

I'm not sure which is worse: unfounded BD hatred or the BD community thinking EVERY asked about them is a slam/attack/hatred.

I simply asked if they were staying at a hotel and if provided an unfair advantage. If you think that is openly hostile, I would love to live in your world of sunshine, unicorns, and cotton candy.

At the theater yesterday, when the comment about "getting back to the hotel" was said - EVERYONE around me, including some loyal BD people were surprised and said things such as, "did he just say hotel?" "Whaaat?" and "Must be nice!"

For the record, I respect BD and have been a financial supporter for some time. Just because someone questions (and perhaps doesn't agree with - as I feel about this year's show, for example) an organization doesn't mean they are attacking it.

I think all BD people need to take a look in the mirror (pun intended) and calm down. Everyone isn't here to hit you. Unless you have been acting like you are in a mad world (pun intended) and even then, you deserve a 2nd chance (pun intended)

So then... are you saying that asking if this was an "unfair advantage" was an actual question and not rhetorical? I mean everyone who has ever marched has to be smarter than that right? In what ways would you have thought it could be an advantage? I am curious as to your thoughts...

So then... are you saying that asking if this was an "unfair advantage" was an actual question and not rhetorical? I mean everyone who has ever marched has to be smarter than that right? In what ways would you have thought it could be an advantage? I am curious as to your thoughts...

Yes - I was asking an honest question. When I marched I never stayed in a hotel, so I didn't know if it was an advantage or not. The posts on here have been interesting and some have pointed out things I never thought much about (i.e. logisitics of getting to/from hotel and rehearsal site).

I wish people would be a little more calm and not take EVERYTHING as an attack.

Yes - I was asking an honest question. When I marched I never stayed in a hotel, so I didn't know if it was an advantage or not. The posts on here have been interesting and some have pointed out things I never thought much about (i.e. logisitics of getting to/from hotel and rehearsal site).

I wish people would be a little more calm and not take EVERYTHING as an attack.

:thumbup:

My point was - in the 'contract w/ Indy' they should have specified that each corps gets a school to stay/rehearse at. 20+ other corps were provided them, and both school boards and city leadership are political entities that benefit from the tax revenue brought in by DCI.

At the very least DCI should pass the billeting costs to the city...

PS - in before close....

People seem to think DCI has a whole bunch of political power...they don't, compared to a major school district. If a specific school decides to pull the plug -- regardless of how fair it might be to a group coming from across the country, the district's gonna back the school up.