BD is staying at a hotel?

Pioneer stayed in a motel/hotel last year due to housing issues at the Atlanta Regional. I saw no added benefit from that.

BD is staying at a hotel because their housing got pulled out from underneath them. I also see no added benefit to this. I doubt it's them flashing around their money or staying in the lap of luxury. At the end of the day, they still go out, rehearse and perform their show, hotel or no hotel.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We stayed in a hotel in Orlando in 1997- and 1998, and I believe the corps did as well in 1996 for Championships.

Many have done it.

As for being an unfair advantage? Really? Do we need to find more ways for people to bash BD. It's their choice where they sleep, and in my opinion, if the option is there to have a nice comfy bed with air conditioning for the last few days of the season, go for it.

But come on, calling them out as though it's unfair.

That's like saying it's unfair that corps X rehearsed 8 hours today, and corps Z rehearsed 4 hours today, and then complaining that one beat the other because they had more rest, or that the other group won because they had more rehearsal.

Give me a break.

Blue Devils A or B Corps do NOT sleep in hotels! Rick Odello---the Director would never allow this, unless some kind, rich person donated $250,00.00 to make a hotel happen.

They don't do it normally, but they are doing it right now... this year. Nice try, mom. :tongue:

As for OT: It's sad that some corps (not pointing fingers) ruined a housing site. One of the high schools I teach no longer allows corps to stay because some corps stayed in the 90s and left trash. I'm sure it gets harder every year for corps to find housing.

If anything a hotel is a disadvantage. You go all summer with "good morning Blue Devils", and arise with the group. Everyone is there together. You spread young people all over a hotel and there is room for sleeping in, funny business etc. Just easier to keep tabs on a large group when isolated to a school.

The beds and AC might be comfortable, but why break up the travel routine if you don't have to.

Nice to see the "BD hate"is still so consistent....never mind that corps staying at hotels -- especially if the normal housing falls through -- is nothing new, nor is it new to the top dogs (one of the smaller Div II or III corps had to do the same at 07 DCI)...somehow it's equated to an unfair advantage when it happens to BD.

BS...the logistics of having to schlep from a hotel to the practice site-- which might be a fair distance away from the hotel -- means lost rehearsal time compared to simply going to the other side of the school campus.

That same travel time can take away from sleep...so you're looking at more sleep/less rehearsal time or less sleep/more rehearsal time.

HOW is that an unfair advantage??

It was way more than just one. We stayed at a hotel along with 2 other corps that year. It was left up to us to find a rehearsal field. The first day in town was spent driving around looking for anywhere we could march. After no luck, we found a small church parking lot and had standstill ensemble rehearsal (playing Dies Irae in the dark and in a church parking lot, now THAT'S fun!). We eventually found a small school where we could rehearse, but it was a good ways away from the hotel, as was the stadium. We would rehearse at the field during the day and after getting back to the hotel we would go through the show visual warmup in the back parking lot with the other two corps watching us.

Even with the traveling (which played a large part in our being late to semi's problem) and having to find our own rehearsal sights, we looked at it as a major hype. We all had our electronics left on in the rooms and we were allowed in the pool at night and there was a Denny's and McDonald's right next door. After working our butt's off all summer long, the staff was happy to let us enjoy the experience.

For me, it was a great way to end an amazing summer (my last in DCI). So many memories from that week alone.

What I don't understand is why did BD find out so late that their housing had been pulled? I believe they were to stay at Carmel H.S. (Richard Saucedo's school). If this incident with another corps happened earlier this year (at the Carmel show I assume) why did BD just find out a few days ago?

I was told they would be able to rehearse at Ben Davis, but not on Thursday and Friday.

I assume they have worked something out for those days.

When I marched Scouts we stayed in a hotel for Finals week. Of course, I somehow still ended up sleeping on the floor. The joys of being a rookie. :tongue: