DCI story on CNN.com

Thank you!

By the time I first encountered either, in the late 1980s, they appeared to be nearly the same thing, and the only substantive difference seemed to be that bands used woodwinds (not all of them, though), and corps did not. Which of the two would you say has had more influence on the other, drum corps or marching band?

Corps has always had more influence on marching band.

One big reason is a LOT of music majors marched corps.

As far as band and corps being seperate entities, that becomes less and less the case every time they try to change corps....

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The G7 proposal mentions "winds," not brass. And it's endorsed by all seven corps. Also, the G7 would no longer be part of DCI, so the old procedures for changing the rules wouldn't apply to them anymore, right?

But there is not one mention of WW in the proposal. Brass instruments are 'winds'. I'm guessing that using the term 'winds' is a toe in the door towards trying to get WW eventually, but that is a ways away, as there is little if any support outside of a couple of directors for them.

Now that's funny. Mason could have "left this thing alone" and allowed Star of Indiana to continue its life as a drum corps and educational platform for all the young people in Indiana. He could have raised his own capital to do Blast, if that was his bent. Instead, he cannibailized it to make his own "professional thing".

And he's going to lecture others to keep DCI intact.

He continues to be the ultimate hypocrite.

Thats true, but what I respect about Mason is he took Star and did his own thing. He didn't attempt to warp Drum Corps into what HE wanted it to be like Hopkins has been attempting to do for 20+ years now.

But there is not one mention of WW in the proposal. Brass instruments are 'winds'. I'm guessing that using the term 'winds' is a toe in the door towards trying to get WW eventually, but that is a ways away, as there is little if any support outside of a couple of directors for them.

Exactly Mike. This is how Hopkins works. First it was amplification to help the pit be heard... look what that led to as far as electronics...

Now its "winds"... doesn't take much imagination to see where Hopkins is going with this one, especialkly after his quote in the CNN article saying woodwinds are the next wall to come down.

I have already lost most interest in corps when they started doubling horn parts and boosting 16 tubas with synth.

WW will have me (and most people I know) walk away completely.

That being said it won't surprise me if it happens within 3 -5 years.

Exactly Mike. This is how Hopkins works. First it was amplification to help the pit be heard... look what that led to as far as electronics...

Now its "winds"... doesn't take much imagination to see where Hopkins is going with this one, especialkly after his quote in the CNN article saying woodwinds are the next wall to come down.

I have already lost most interest in corps when they started doubling horn parts and boosting 16 tubas with synth.

WW will have me (and most people I know) walk away completely.

That being said it won't surprise me if it happens within 3 -5 years.

That is possible, but there are people posting here that claim it's happening NOW, which is just not true.

That is possible, but there are people posting here that claim it's happening NOW, which is just not true.

according to the current rules, "instrumentation of any kind" is allowed in the on field pre show warm up.

This is Hopkins way of saying WW

Thats true, but what I respect about Mason is he took Star and did his own thing. He didn't attempt to warp Drum Corps into what HE wanted it to be like Hopkins has been attempting to do for 20+ years now.

You might feel differently if you were a Star member or Alum, or an Indy kid in the 90's waiting for a chance to march.

of course it makes sense. It is EXACTLY what happened in 1972 that led to the birth of DCI.

A group of corps got fed up with the way the VFW ran corps competitions and they broke off and started DCI.

It amazes me that DCI cant see that they have now become the VFW and history is on the verge of repeating itself.

The two, while similar on the surface, are DRASTICALLY different when examined in full.

The VFW/AL circuits provided little or no voice to the corps that participated in them. Corps weren't allowed to make the rules, and that was a major tiff back when the split came to pass. Corps were fed up being dictated by what they saw as a small minded minority who held all the cards. So they left to do their own thing. What they did (provide a structure for corps to determine what was best for themselves) made a lot of sense to a lot of corps, and the organization grew.

40 years later, we have a small group of individuals who RUN DCI who are saying "You know what, we want to do our own thing, forget you guys." The major difference is the G7 corps HAVE the ability to do whatever they want. THEY ARE THE BOD. They can make the rules, they can do whatever they want provided they can get the other corps to agree with it. The other corps are saying "NO, this isn't in our best interst," while the G7 are simply saying "Well, eff off then."

They're pulling the exact same stunt they pulled on DCM about 10 years back. The top corps said "Hey, you know what, we want to move control over to DCI." They got the DCM corps to agree with it, provided that after a year, if it didn't work out for the DCM corps they would return the DCM structure. After a year when the DCM corps said "You know what...we like the way things were running with DCM." The top five said "Well..screw you guys. We're taking our toys and leaving."

The VFW in the 70's gave the corps no representation. The G7 simply want to take their toys and pout that they cant have everything they want, even if everything they want will cost the existence of every corps except for them.

Now that's funny. Mason could have "left this thing alone" and allowed Star of Indiana to continue its life as a drum corps and educational platform for all the young people in Indiana. He could have raised his own capital to do Blast, if that was his bent. Instead, he cannibailized it to make his own "professional thing".

And he's going to lecture others to keep DCI intact.

He continues to be the ultimate hypocrite.

You are SO very wrong I have no idea where to begin.

Today Jim might be able to raise his own capital. Back then, he was DCI corps director...period.

The Star kids who were eligible mostly came back for Brass Theatre in 1994. They were encouraged to go elsewhere if they wished to continue competing. As for all the young people in Indiana, where I live; by the time Star stopped competing, it had become like so many other corps that became successful...the base of membership became quite diverse geographically. Back then when corps could have no more than 128 members, even if every one was an Indiana resident, that's barely scratching the surface of available talent in the state.

As for Jim cannibalizing Star to make his own professional thing, it took three years of Brass Theatre to get to Blast!, and it was a risky process that could have blown up in his face any number of ways.

Did Jim kick your puppy?