DCI story on CNN.com

Really?! There is no way you're actually serious with this statement, implying that woodwind musicians wouldn't gain educationally from marching a season of drum corps.

Geez; I know we all love to spout ridiculous rhetoric about things we dislike (or even things we like), but if you honestly believe what I bolded above then you clearly know absolutely nothing about drum corps

Honestly... I didn't learn anything from drum corps. Except how to live on the road with different types of people in less than ideal situation. It did help my playing a little bit... but books really aren't that technical nowadays in DCI anyway. It has been more beneficial practicing on my own all summer on my concert instrument.

Basically all drum corps did was reinforce everything I already learned. Yes that is a good thing. But all the education hoopla that people associate with drum corps really isn't true. It's more about what happens on tour.. bonding with people you would never meet otherwise.. the family you will have forever. The actual performance part is just doing what you are told. It does take some mental skills.. but a lot of it is just listening to directions. Are you really learning??? Meh... are kids actually learning in school anyway??? Meh...

If anything it's just another opportunity to perform. I personally dont' think opening up DCI to WW would really attract many players.. since most WW players who want to march figure out a way to march anyway..

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Holy crap, more of the "big music companies are secretly running drum corps" nonsense?! Yamaha is quoted because they're one of DCI's largest sponsors, and the three sentences quoting the Yamaha marketing rep are CLEARLY generic, broad statements about 1) how drum corps are the standard bearers of the marching arts activity, and b) who Yamaha is involved with sponsoring drum corps (i.e. field testing gear + product exposure).

Really, some of the stuff insinuated around here are just so laughably ludicrous and wrong I sometimes wonder if there are only a handful of posters who are rational thinking adults

The same could be said for some of the comments you make. Not picking a fight here, but you do come across as pretty condescending at times...

Holy crap, more of the "big music companies are secretly running drum corps" nonsense?!

There are none so blind as those who refuse to see.

:lol:

I don't know about you guys, but part of why I like drum corps so much is because the brass don't have a woodwind section that they have to balance to. If they wanna wail, they can wail. I'd rather not see drum corps take a hit in volume (and cool points: I mean come on , have you ever seen a clarinet section look bad***?).

Alright BugleBand...you started it :lol:

Although I did say "from people who know nothing about DCI" so that doesn't count...

I personally dont' think opening up DCI to WW would really attract many players.. since most WW players who want to march figure out a way to march anyway..

I have to completely agree with this. Some of the biggest drum corps fans I know are woodwind players and the lack of woodwinds on the field doesn't seem to bother them. I have seen woodwind march brass, guard, in the pit, and as drum major. If they want to march drum corps and already have a musical background the jump is not that incredibly difficult to make with a little practice.

As such, I don't see adding woodwinds as expanding the fan base that much. It would, however, cause many current fans to leave the activity. I just don't see what this can add.

Fans fear this may be the last championship of its kind as the top seven groups -- who have dubbed themselves the 'G-7' -- threaten to break away and form their own touring circuit.

didn't WE dub them the G-7?

Holy crap, more of the "big music companies are secretly running drum corps" nonsense?! Yamaha is quoted because they're one of DCI's largest sponsors, and the three sentences quoting the Yamaha marketing rep are CLEARLY generic, broad statements about 1) how drum corps are the standard bearers of the marching arts activity, and b) who Yamaha is involved with sponsoring drum corps (i.e. field testing gear + product exposure).

Really, some of the stuff insinuated around here are just so laughably ludicrous and wrong I sometimes wonder if there are only a handful of posters who are rational thinking adults

I never said a single word that you imply in this post. If you want to quote me and then put words in my mouth ......... you've got the wrong dude.

As for the attack ........... stuff it :)

Enjoy your DCP!!!!