DCI story on CNN.com

didn't WE dub them the G-7?

Nope. Hoppy first used that term, on his blog. He said he was inspired by the G7 countries who were holding a summit at the time, because they were the main acts.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Driving home from the theater with my son (CT Hurricanes member this year, DCI hopeful in the future) and daughter, and my son said to me "I don't see what all the crap is about woodwinds in marching band (not Corps...). It takes 5-7 clarinets to make up the sound a trumpet can produce, and that is not even playing the trumpet loud! Woodwinds have no place on the marching field....."

And you know what? He is right.

Oh - and as far as the financial inequity between the top corps and the lower placing corps, this G-7 deal will only make that more inequitable. I am not a Hoppy hater or basher, but he is dead wrong on this subject. I do appreciate his attempt at making this "better", but this one is a huge fail. :tongue:

He should go talk to the folks that started the USFL, and then to Donald Trump. Big fail my friends.......

Mike

Spartans '87

The Foundation Year

I was waiting to see a quote from Jeff Ream.

I'm sorry... Find me enough WW players that actually want to march drumcorps. About enough for 7 corps? There is no educational value for a WW player to march.... period. Not many brass professors in college are cool with it, even less WW would be.

You know what would help your flute/ oboe/ bassoon playing... More marching band.

Really?

And whoever vandalized Hops car... You're a lowlife sack of.... you know.

You really think there is something intrinsically different between brass players and woodwind players?

I know plenty of woodwind players who wanted to march corps but didn't because they couldn't play their instrument.

Quote from CNN Story by Mr. Hopkins:

"What people don't get about me is I love it the way it is, I really do," Hopkins said. "But it's not going to survive if we don't let other people in -- the next big wall is woodwind instruments."

If the woodwinds are let in then what would be the point to march Drum Corps? High School and College Bands are at these kids grasps and by far it is cheaper to be involved with their High School and/or College Band instead of Drum Corps? I may be wrong but that is how I see it in the future...

Edited by sopbabe

Wow, DCI has been around since 1972 and it takes some drama for it to make CNN? This is why I don't watch the news. :tongue:

"If it bleeds, it leads".

Same as it ever was, I suppose. People aren't going to go for shiny, happy reflections on what makes the activity so great; people love drama and having a "side" to pull for: all of us included.