Why I didn't go last night

Usually this is the only time I get to see the corps all year. My daughter and I go and my son and I before that. This year I really wasn't looking forward to it. I've been reading all year how XX corps is dull, this show is boring, Drum Corps has died, etc, etc.

I didn't want to see 12-13 corps that would ruin the activity for me. I grew up watching the shows of the 80's and early 90's and that is my drum corps. I'm not saying one is better then the other but thats what I like.

Lets put it this way, I didn't want to look behind the curtain because I don't want to see what the wizard looks like. I know things change but right now, from what I read its not close (with the few exceptions) of what I would spend my money on. And its a shame. I really look forward to spending time with my kids talking about something that I did back in the day. But when you see a show today its nothing close.

Maybe next year when more corps follow what Madison did (8 position jump) and go back to thier roots I'll go watch a show. Until then I'll keep my money in my pocket.

Just one man's opinion.................

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Usually this is the only time I get to see the corps all year. My daughter and I go and my son and I before that. This year I really wasn't looking forward to it. I've been reading all year how XX corps is dull, this show is boring, Drum Corps has died, etc, etc.

I didn't want to see 12-13 corps that would ruin the activity for me. I grew up watching the shows of the 80's and early 90's and that is my drum corps. I'm not saying one is better then the other but thats what I like.

Lets put it this way, I didn't want to look behind the curtain because I don't want to see what the wizard looks like. I know things change but right now, from what I read its not close (with the few exceptions) of what I would spend my money on. And its a shame. I really look forward to spending time with my kids talking about something that I did back in the day. But when you see a show today its nothing close.

Maybe next year when more corps follow what Madison did (8 position jump) and go back to thier roots I'll go watch a show. Until then I'll keep my money in my pocket.

I respect your decision .. but honestly there were only 1 or 2 corps that were displeasing to me .. and I'm from the era you grew up loving. I think you should consider forking over the 30 bucks to watch Semi's tonight and get a chance to see Star's alumni corps on the stream. Feel free to take a long potty break when you get to the top 3 .. but you might find 2 of those shows very entertaining .. maybe even 3. I have strong opinions about the show that's winning right now .... but that's in another thread. My experience at the theatre tonight was very entertaining and moreso than previous years. I think you missed out ... even though I totally know where you're coming from.

Why let others make the choice for you?

Sure, you might have read some things . . .but until you actually see the product and can make the determination for yourself, you might be missing some things you'd probably like (Scouts in particular).

I respect your decision .. but honestly there were only 1 or 2 corps that were displeasing to me .. and I'm from the era you grew up loving. I think you should consider forking over the 30 bucks to watch Semi's tonight and get a chance to see Star's alumni corps on the stream. Feel free to take a long potty break when you get to the top 3 .. but you might find 2 of those shows very entertaining .. maybe even 3. I have strong opinions about the show that's winning right now .... but that's in another thread. My experience at the theatre tonight was very entertaining and moreso than previous years. I think you missed out ... even though I totally know where you're coming from.

Star's performance was the ONE reason that I even considered attending. But it's more than the $30 for a ticket (unless you live in Indiana) and our family budget has taken a dive. Good luck to all my friends participating with Star's Alumni Corps!

I had to read through twice to make sure. You're saying that you haven't seen any of the shows this year, but decided based on DCP that 12-13 would ruin the activity for you? Trust me, this place is not that important. Had you posted this before the show, I would have encouraged you to go out, experience the shows for yourself, get around some fellow drum corps fans, many of whom probably could relate to how you feel and what era you felt was best.

Letting DCP make decisions for you never got nobody nowhere </sly stallone>

I'm with you on this, Craig. I went to the Dallas Friday show (after a 2 year vacation from corps after being disappointed in '08) and I could have closed my eyes and thought I was listening to the same group only playing a little better as the different corps performed. Same styles of meaningless music. And the addition of synthes playing the first 45-90 seconds with ethereal sound effects to "create a mood" while the corps moves some formation - I wanted to yell out PLAY SOMETHING.

The only corps that woke me up from this melancholy state was Blue Stars - they made a statement right from the beginning of their performance.

Unfortunately, Madison wasn't there - t'would have been nice to have heard some recognizable music instead of the syrupy orchestral stuff which never gets "in your face". ( 'Course, some G bugles would help bring that back!! Even BD ain't quite the same since going Bb - my face is still on my head after seeing them.) Face it, a Bb soprano (oh, trumpet) does not put out the same FULL sound of a G soprano bugle.

Drum corps has changed but certainly not for the better - not for audience appeal.

And for $30-40 a seat - I can find some other entertainment. It was obvious that fans had to choose which night to attend at those prices - BD, Cadets, Cavies, Madison were at the previous night which I was told was packed out and the Friday show was barely half-filled. A fickle audience that had to decide where to spend the bucks - 2 nights too expensive.

Would I want goal line to goal line style shows again??? Not on your life! But something entertaining like Phantom, Miss Saigon, Tommy, West Side Story, Wizard of Oz (Sky Ryders), Les Miserables, Rhapsody in Blue, Planets, Dutchmen stuff, jazz/swing from Bluuuuu, crazy VK stuff, Freelancer's DM, Chad, with his energy on the platform, SunCoast Sound, Madison's pirate show, Phantom Regiment power - the list could go on and on of shows that never left the audience yawning like they are now.

I don't consider myself a prude - I was part of the start-up of a corps in the early 90's - but I'd like to see drum corps once again!!!!!!!!!

When is the last time you went? I think the shows this year are overall far less offensive to old-timers than they have been since amplified voice was allowed. In fact, the message I hear from the boards is exactly what I've been thinking: this is one of the most entertaining years in a long time.

I appreciate your fear. I feel it, too, with electronics and the G7 and George Hopkins being tired of drum corps. But you should keep giving it a chance, and ignore what the haters say.

Star's performance was the ONE reason that I even considered attending. But it's more than the $30 for a ticket (unless you live in Indiana) and our family budget has taken a dive. Good luck to all my friends participating with Star's Alumni Corps!

It's $30 for the webcast tonight ...... I didn't say a ticket. Hook your computer up to the big screen, fire up the surround sound ....... restroom within 20 paces ....... fridge full of your favorite beverage ....... it's a no brainer. Spend the 30 bucks and sit on your couch and enjoy the show.

I am a 50 year old who marched 30 years ago.....I'm not a big fan of the esoteric shows this year of BD and SCV, but I LOVED the other 13 corps last night! I think this is the most exciting season in years......

You really should have gone.

Edited by craiga

It's $30 for the webcast tonight ...... I didn't say a ticket. Hook your computer up to the big screen, fire up the surround sound ....... restroom within 20 paces ....... fridge full of your favorite beverage ....... it's a no brainer. Spend the 30 bucks and sit on your couch and enjoy the show.

Not sure my connection will handle the fan network. I'm going to try it Saturday for the finale FREE webcast so I can decide whether or not to buy next year. Thanks for the $0.02 though.