Which World Class Corps is Loudest?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you for doing this! I've often wondered why no one with the know-how has done this before (at least that I've seen).

Interesting that most of the corps are pretty much in the same range, but I'm sure there will be plenty of debate about "this corps is louder than that corps". I believe that has more to do with one's personal connection with the music, the corps and even the key/pitch of the music being played which may be perceived louder by some.

One potential problem with your study is the relatively low seat location from which you took the sound levels. Most corps are aining at the press box, shooting the sound over your head.

My guess of the loudest corps would have been Crown which just seems to wrap you up in their full sound. Probably a reflection of their end zone to end zone ensemble and arrangements. But all of the corps have those hits and power chords that can fill up Lucas Oil.

So, I wonder how high the 1975 Scouts and 1980 Spirit shows would have hit??? :lookaround:

Does anyone on this board have connections that could get this guy a seat at or near the press box and let him repeat the test tonight??? That would be great!

Does everyone understand that sound pressure measured by a device is different than loudness perceived by human ears?

Just wondering.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudness

from bD: What is a decibel?

The perceived psychoacoustical loudness should double with every 10 dB increase, so 178.9 dB is more than 32 times as loud as a rock concert (nearly 2^6 = 64), and nearly 8 times as loud as a jet engine at 30 m

dB: What is a decibel?

hopefully a thread this scientific doesn't boil down to someone saying the Blue Devils cheated, like in 2007.... HAHAHAHA!!!

seriously though, this is a cool read. interesting to see how loud they were getting. Now only if we could get measurements from when all corps used G bugles...

Are there any general measurements?

From my seats I though the loudest hornline moments of the night were Spirit, Madison, Cadets, and Blue Devils. Crown was really loud also, but their tone is so much darker/warmer than all other corps it was difficult to compare.

There is something seriously wrong with a study that says Pioneer and Bluecoats are putting our equal amounts of sound...

It may be true...but the EFFECT of the sound those two corps make is anything but equal -

For the record, I've enjoyed both shows this season - numbers of times -

Yes, there were several corps where the numbers said they were equal, but the perception was different. It could be any number of factors.

One potential problem with your study is the relatively low seat location from which you took the sound levels. Most corps are aining at the press box, shooting the sound over your head.

Excellent point--I was thinking more of the distance factor (as someone mentioned here, sound power diminishes quickly the further away you are) versus the angle. Tonight, it looks like we're in Section 639, much higher up but on the right 40-yard line. I might try measuring the first several corps and if results look promising, do the rest from that level.

I'm expecting ALL the corps to bring their "A" game tonight. Good luck to all!!!

Update: I tried taking sound level measurements at Finals from Sect 639, Row 6, Seat 14 (top section on the right 40-yard line). I got a few Corps, but soon realized the crowd response (very enthusiastic) was causing problems in getting a true reading, so I gave up.

I did measure the last chord on the massed Corps "Battle Hymn" at 103 dB, but it didn't seem to me that ending was meant to be a "blow your face off" type ending.

And, Blue Devils B: 106 dB on their closing section.

Probably the folks doing the audio and video recording might be setup better (mics on the field, but mounted high enough to pick up the sound directed at the press box) and might could provide a better indication on how much power these Corps are putting out. Anybody have any contacts?

There has been some discussion on DCP about which WC Drum Corps is loudest, so I decided to try a little experiment. At the WC Quarterfinals, I brought a sound level meter and measured each of the corps loudest moments. The results are below.

First: Every corps that performed in Quarterfinals has a GREAT and SOLID sound. The members and staffs should be proud of how well they play!!! :sad:

Second: As my stats professor used to say, all this does is present results for one day, at a particular location, for the current members, for this set of performances, and with the measuring equipment I used. Your mileage may vary.

Finally: This is just for fun and maybe encourage a little friendly discussion. Please, no flames! :thumbup:

Method: We were seated down front (Sec 141, Row 6, Seat 6). We were on the first row behind the corps staff section and on the left 40-yard line. I used a Radio Shack Sound Level Meter (#33-2055). It was set to Fast Response (updates every 0.2 sec) and Weighting "C" (flat response for 32-10,000 Hz). During the corps loudest moments, I set the meter to remember the max dB value. I tried to measure sustained sounds versus short attacks which are often punctuated with the bass drum in the Pit. (One of the corps had an exposed bass drum piece where the player used hard wooden mallets. The volume level of the strikes was easily 109-110 dB.)

The Results (presented in order of performance):

Pioneer 109 dB

Cascades 108

Jersey Surf 106

Teal Sound 107 (g)

Mandarins 109 (s)

Pacific Crest 106

Crossmen 111 (e,s)

Spirit 111 (e)

Troopers 110

Colts 110

The Academy 111

Glassmen 111 (e,s)

Madison Scouts 111 (s)

Blue Knights 112 (s,b)

Boston Crusaders 107

Blue Stars 107

Santa Clara Vanguard 108 (s)

Phantom Regiment 111 (s)

The Cadets 112 (s,b)

Carolina Crown 112 (s,x)

The Cavaliers 111 (s)

Bluecoats 109 (s)

Blue Devils 111 (s)

Footnotes:

(e) - Off scale at measured range (90-110 db). Estimated--Sorry! After Glassmen, I switched to the 100-120 dB range.

(g) - Guitar ensemble measured at 100 dB during a solo section.

(s) - Low-end synth was noticeable (this is VERY subjective--some just added some bottom; others were more noticeable.)

For corps scoring at the 112 dB level:

(b) - Highest sound level occurred when brass was in "block" formation

(x) - Highest sound level occurred when brass was spread across the field

I guess that's it. I had really wanted to take some measurements with the roof open to see if that made a difference. Oh, well....

Yeah, Cadets! (Yeah, Crown!)