Semi Finals Open Thread

Agreed... it happens way too much for my taste. :tongue:

I did have a cymbal instructor with SCV that attacked a Perc judge shaking hands with all the drum lines in 1987.

He aged out of SCV that year and was enraged that Cadets got a perfect field perc score with 2 corps left to perform.

I guess perfection itself is relative.

If the judge hears no errors, what score would you prescribe that he give a particular group? 9.9? So what if they didn't performt last....if he didn't hear any errors, or surmised that it was as good as it could possibly get......well, perfect is perfect. If another group after that came on and threw it down, give them the same "perfect" score.

There have been many instances in which a judge was numerically "forced" to give a perfect score...1987 wasn't one of them (although most Cadets I know would probably argue that '88 was actually better, in terms of percussion.)

In terms of "looking" ahead for space while judging. We won drums in '93 with a lower score than we won drums at Semis in '92 - with the same judge(who I completely respect, btw).

Was semis in '92 better than finals in '93? No.

In this scenario, I could maybe claim the reverse hypothesis that you proposed, after all, .1 was the difference.

Do I even care? Not at all. It is what it is. I have no regrets. I only offer this scenario as a demonstration. It is an objective "competition" at best. You can't reasonably compare various score from night to night, from judge to judge, from year to year, etc.

It is totally objective although, according to the given criteria, I'd argue it's usually pretty close. Whether or not that criteria is the best thing for the activity may be debatable.

Post of the night! :tongue:

no I vote my post about wanting a pink shirt the post of the night

Honestly, sorry if I came off as a jerk..... but I really do think that other person is wrong about BD lacking complete musical phrases. How is the whole Laura section not a complete phrase?

Why don't (or can't) corps or even high school marching bands play tunes any more. I lost touch with marching music from 1990 to 2003 and when I came back everything seems like it a soundtrack to a movie or something. IMO

Back in the day, you could watch a show and drive home that night still humming your favorite tune. Good luck with that nowadays.

Even with BD's Winged Victory show - I expected to really hear the meat and potatoes of that song (which is one of my favorite - Stymie showed me how to play the solo). What I got was a handful of "that sounds familiar . . .wait, what are they playing now?"

Sorry . . .I wan't more than just a few complete phases.

In my opinion, the biggest flaw is is the "this is my rifle" sequence which comes from the Stanley Kubrick anti-war film where a crazy recruit transforms himself into an obsessive soldier. The Cavie's show then follows up this mantra with an exuberant military workout which seems to exalt the military experience, unlike the film, and it's enjoyed by the entire corps and the audience. Um, which is it? A military indictment a la Kubrick, or an homage to military routines? Does the audience even know where "this is my rifle" comes from?

I knew it, and my Canadian husband got it right away (though he's a bit of a military buff).

Mad people can produce brilliant artistry; we see countless examples of it throughout history. And conditioned/rote behaviors can result in seemingly magnificent work, but also induce madness by repressing individuality . . . which I interpreted to be the irony in the "This is my rifle!" segment: impressive on the surface, but there's something deeply unsettling lurking beneath.

Why did it just now hit me that Cavies are rehashing their 1994 "Rituals" show? I'm not speaking in terms of music selection, obviously. I mean in visual concept, these two shows are very close to the same in many aspects. Has anyone else linked these two shows together at some point this season on DCP?......... or is it just me?

no I vote my post about wanting a pink shirt the post of the night

You win!

Corps get " recovery points ".

If a marcher falls down, but gets up with style and grace, the judge awards points in the build up system of judging. Likewise, if a rifle is dropped, but is picked up with aplomb and a quick smile signifying confidence and poise, the judge will award good recovery points here as well.

Thus while a Corps might get a 19.8 for no drops, it is better to have a drop or two in order to have a chance of maxing out the caption. ...just as BD did. Who knows, maybe Corps will call for planned drops and recovery in the future, if this is what it takes to get a " perfect " score in Guard.

Brasso . . you crack me up. Thanks!!!! :tongue:

Box 1: 0.00 - 29.9 = 30 pts

Box 2: 30.0 - 49.9 = 20 pts

Box 3: 50.0 - 69.9 = 20 pts

Box 4: 70.0 - 89.9 = 20 pts

Box 5: 90.0 - 100 = 10 pts

Seems the scores are about right.

top 5 corps at 95+

next 5 corps at 90-95

rest 85-90

Only change I see tomorrow is SCV will take 6th.

Seems the scores are about right.

top 5 corps at 95+

next 5 corps at 90-95

rest 85-90

Only change I see tomorrow is SCV will take 6th.

Madison is being groomed to beat BAC tomorrow night :tongue: