Semi Finals Open Thread

Perfectly possible when the distance from 4th to 1st is 0.3 in Brass

Perfectly possible when the distance from 6th to 2nd is 1.1 in percussion

The Ensemble score is well earned and deserved.

Now average it all together and you get 4th in total music ..... only 0.6 out of 1st place.

Exactly- when you're looking at everything in toto and how it interacts- it may well end up scoring quite differently. Maybe the Trunk isn't as pretty as the other elephant's, maybe the ears and tail aren't as nice as that other one over there, but when you look at the whole elephant, it's overall a better lookin' one when you step away from it than those others....

My thoughts:

(Fair warning, didn't see QF last night so I can't compare the runs.)

- SCV has grown on me. I don't completely hate it anymore. Turning up the pit actually helped maintain the continuity of the musical lines, but they need to adjust dynamics in other places to compensate.

- Phantom had some pretty serious brass issues tonight. Intonation especially.

- Cadets really seemed on tonight. I felt they outperformed Crown across the board tonight.

- Crown's questionable staging of the guard soloists telling the story is KILLING them. They're hidden. Also thought they had some surprising brass articulation problems and timing issues in every section. Nothing major, but more consistently that I was expecting. Really did think Cadets had them tonight.

- I actually dig the demon choir BC added at the beginning of the show was effective and cool. Not a fan of the various synth parts added to the percussion features though. Overall it seemed like a bit of an unsettled run. Ensemble wasn't bad...but it wasn't locked like it could have.

- Cavies had great energy tonight and have really squeezed every last drop of GE out of this show. There was one shockingly (even moreso because it was the Cavaliers) out of tune brass impact.

- BD. Flawless as usual other than some dirt in the percussion. Don't know what the brass judge heard to drop them to 3rd in the musicality subcaption, but whatever it was didn't come through my headphones. Still love the show and am still very disappointed in the ending. They have the clear and well told moment in the beginning where they turn into the mirrors and suddenly everything goes strange....and then what? It just stays strange for the rest of the show. There's no arc to the show. It doesn't go anywhere. Still your undoubted champion and the only question is by how much.

A total hot dog corps.

Yeah, they really lay on the mustard, don't they?

Didn't something like that happen with the Cavies in 2001? Their brass was somewhere around 4th, but it was their Ensemble score that kept them in contention (and ultimately helped them win).

To WAAAY oversimplify it, you can play REALLY BAD but still REALLY TOGETHER.

People keep forgetting that Ensemble is no longer just a brass caption. It is a TOTAL music caption including Brass, Battery and front ensemble. I do wish we could go back to having a Brass Ensemble and Percussion ensemble Judge ........ but I doubt that will ever happen again.

Intermission (literally)

Come on, you could've let us have at least ten minutes of fun with that one. :tongue:

Did I win the OVER/UNDER pool on the BD score? I was off by .15 on the UNDER side ..... w00t!

Yes... we all had over. Congrats.

There was one shockingly (even moreso because it was the Cavaliers) out of tune brass impact.

I'm starting to think that things like balance, blend, and intonation don't really matter anymore.

As long as it somehow augments the visual, it gets rewarded even if it sounds like trash cans banging together.

Judging is ridiculous.

LOL! The sad thing is that there may well be several corps you could throw that quote at and it might stick....

Touche!!

:tongue:

All this talk of "perfection" and most of us on this forum have actually marched in a DCI finals corps.

Am I alone in thinking that there should be some sort of 'tick' method judging?

I mean we were pretty clean in 1981 (SCV), but when I heard 94.00, even I said you gotta be kidding me. (Actually, I started saying that when I heard the scores from about 6th place on up.

Don't flame me now! I'm just asking . . .