Semi Finals Open Thread

People keep forgetting that Ensemble is no longer just a brass caption. It is a TOTAL music caption including Brass, Battery and front ensemble. I do wish we could go back to having a Brass Ensemble and Percussion ensemble Judge ........ but I doubt that will ever happen again.

Yep. It's possible for each individual music section to play well on its own, but not with one another.

Geez . . I mean after finals. They were talking about age outs.

didn't VK march without shoes?? (jk)

No but that might of actually helped us. :tongue:

All this talk of "perfection" and most of us on this forum have actually marched in a DCI finals corps.

Am I alone in thinking that there should be some sort of 'tick' method judging?

No. I marched in the tick era, AND in the build-up era, and the problem isn't 'ticks' - it's the belief that anyone could have possibly maxed out a caption.

Start with the basic understanding that, as with human beauty, there are no '10's - 9.9 is as close as you can honestly get, and go from there. Once you have it in your mind that the best you see will still be less than maximal, it opens up the mind to consider their faults, which results in more honest evaluation of everyone on the field.

Edited by mobrien

Come on, you could've let us have at least ten minutes of fun with that one. :thumbup:
Yes... we all had over. Congrats.

Great .. now I'm a WINNER and a KILLJOY all on the same page :tongue:

Edited: because I just realized I do that on every page I post to on DCP

Edited by supersop

The number doent mean perfect at all just the best of the night. Judges, are only working with so many numbers. People, including kids will talk about the perfect score but it really doesnt mean that.

Then lower all the numbers... a 20 out of 20 means perfect in my book.

Joe -- pretty simple isn't it?? Then again, maybe not for some of today's judges!

No. I marched in the tick era, AND in the build-up era, and the problem isn't 'ticks' - it's the belief that anyone could have possibly maxed out a caption.

Start with the basic understanding that, as with human beauty, there are no '10's - 9.9 is as close as you can honestly get, and go from there. Once you have it in your mind that the best you see will still be less than maximal, it opens up the mind to consider their faults, which results in more honest evaluation of everyone on the field.

Yeah, I was in the transition era too. I'm just saying . . .one year at one of the major regionals one of the corps had a contra take a tumble at the end of the show, which also took out at least 10 to 12 other members (they were all going backwards). They scored a perfect score in GE Visual that night. Needless to say our staff went bonkers during the critique.

All's I know is if they were still on the tick system, the scores would still be in the low 90's just like they were back in 1980.

By the way, when I read your second paragraph, meditation music and wind chimes started playing. :tongue:

well it doesnt, in other books,,,,lol...just kiddin......if that happens some corps will be in the 70s at championships........lets see you deal with that...lol....maybe thats the way it should be but it isnt.

Joe -- pretty simple isn't it?? Then again, maybe not for some of today's judges!

Agreed... it happens way too much for my taste. :tongue:

I did have a cymbal instructor with SCV that attacked a Perc judge shaking hands with all the drum lines in 1987.

He aged out of SCV that year and was enraged that Cadets got a perfect field perc score with 2 corps left to perform.

I guess perfection itself is relative.

Yep. It's possible for each individual music section to play well on its own, but not with one another.

If we can afford 4 GE judges (2 for Music).... why can't we cut GE in half ... Assign the Ensemble Judge to Brass and add a Percussion Ensemble Judge? Visual already gets 60 pts of weight anyway ....... may as well judge the music more accurately :tongue:

If you really wanted to level it out, you could move the second Visual GE judge over to Music GE .. give them 10 pts more to work with and split GE into Brass and Percussion like it used to be.

New Format:

GE Brass = 10

GE Percussion = 10

GE Visual = 10

CG = 10

Field Visual = 10

Ensemble Visual = 10

Field Brass = 10

Ensemble Brass = 10

Field Percussion = 10

Ensemble Percussion = 10

Total of 10 judges

Weight:

Visual = 40

Music = 60

You'll still get 15 pts of bleedover from the Ensemble Brass/perc and GE Brass/perc judges .. making it an even 50/50 split

I NOMINATE MYSELF FOR RULES COMMITTEE FOR 2011 :thumbup: