Semi Finals Open Thread

Yeah, I was in the transition era too. I'm just saying . . .one year at one of the major regionals one of the corps had a contra take a tumble at the end of the show, which also took out at least 10 to 12 other members (they were all going backwards). They scored a perfect score in GE Visual that night. Needless to say our staff went bonkers during the critique.

All's I know is if they were still on the tick system, the scores would still be in the low 90's just like they were back in 1980.

By the way, when I read your second paragraph, meditation music and wind chimes started playing. :tongue:

Your avatar is so cool.

Not surprised at the placecments for semis.

Very surprised at two color guard judges two nights in a row giving BD's guard a "perfect" score!! C'mon now.,.. (Stated previously -- BD's guard is nice and kickin it up a notch, but not perfect).

Also -- got off the phone 10 mins ago with a good friend attending his 3rd finals week. This friend has a masters degree in brass peformance (trumpet) from Eastman School of Music. Did not ask of I could share his name -- so won't, but here's a direct quote (corps name being omitted so other posters in this forum can guess!!)

...."There's not a complete phrase of music in _______ brass book".....

Well, I'm currently getting my doctorate degree in music, and I can tell you, there are plenty of complete phrases in all the shows.... especially in the one I'm sure we're talking about.

Well, I'm currently getting my doctorate degree in music, and I can tell you, there are plenty of complete phrases in all the shows.... especially in the one I'm sure we're talking about.

Trust him...he's a doctor. (almost)

:tongue: I'm a pepper, your a pepper, he's a pepper, she's a pepper, wouldn't you like to be a pepper, too? :thumbup:

FWIW, I thought Crown's 4th in brass was deserved and could have even been 5th despite their gorgeous sound.

They're playing a very exposed book and had a lot of minor timing tears side to side. Judges aren't giving "it's hard" points anymore, unless it's clean. They were less clean than the corps around them.

Trust him...he's a doctor. (almost)

:thumbup: I'm a pepper, your a pepper, he's a pepper, she's a pepper, wouldn't you like to be a pepper, too? :thumbup:

Goodnight, Tim. :tongue:

Edited by wvu80

Cadets -- Other than Geoffrey, I love this show. (When I pointed out Geoffrey and his antics to my husband, he replied, "And then shots were fired. . . .") Take out the cheesy bits, and this is one fine corps. I had them up over Crown. Shows you what I know.

Crown -- Wonderful horn line. That's about all I get. I know I'm going to get flamed for this, but . . . I still feel like they are a corps in search of an identity. Didn't feel that way last year.

Bluecoats -- Wow, the energy in this show is palpable. They really blew me away! And to think, back when I marched, we routinely beat this corps. Shows how far they've come.

Cavies -- OK, this show is strange . . . but I love it. They are a visual powerhouse, and now they have the horn line to back it up. Can't see them beating BD, but I wish they would. For me, it's the better show, just not performed quite so well.

BD -- As far as I'm concerned, they're about as close to flawless as we human beings can get. I can't say that I truly get everything that they're doing, but I do sense the extraordinary performance of a crazy intricate show. And yeah, I'm a sucker for the mirrors.

George Bonfiglio -- I misted up seeing him and 27th Lancers again. How I miss that corps!

Star -- Never thought I'd feel nostalgic about Star. Must be the third sign of the coming apocalypse. I guess it's because I always felt satisfied that they did all they set out to do, became a chameleon that re-invented themselves every year and made that their tradition, never apologized for anything, did it their way the whole way through, then bowed out gracefully. So why, when I heard that magnificent music all over again, did I feel a lump in my throat? And why was I so happy to hear the crowd finally acknowledging them for all they'd contributed (sans booing)? And oh, to hear the voice of another George once again. Z, you are still missed.

Great night (and I never once experienced any glitches with the Fan Network)! :tongue:

Yeah?! Well I'M gonna talk myself up on the INTERNET so I can be BETTER than someone else and prove them WRONG.

:tongue:

EDIT: (this post is 75% joking...but admittedly 25% percent ######)

Edited by Room_101

YAY someone else started in on Marie before I did .................... again!

I had a separate notepad for my GE VIZ numbers .. and what I thought Marie would ordinal .. and I was dead on 100% right.

One of the few judges I have seen that can give a great tape but the number on the sheet in relationship to the tape is just mind numbing.

Yeah?! Well I'M gonna talk myself up on the INTERNET so I can be BETTER than someone else and prove them WRONG.

Okay...but PhD or not, he has a point. The previous post stating "There isn't a single line of melody in the whole show" is as ridiculous as saying "They just sat in chairs the whole show". A 5-year old could pick out the melody in this show. Maybe it isn't as much as you'd like or the style you like, but it is clearly there. Making over the top statements just to bash a corps is just childish.

I will agree with Tez in saying there is a load of melody in all of the top corps. I have found a lot to enjoy in each of them.

....and, of course, Go BD!!! :thumbup:

:thumbup: :thumbup: :tongue::worthy: