Star of Indiana--how did they do?

As part of the infamous Scrim crew, I would like to personally thank the Blue Knights for helping us out with the scrims out onto the field. Without them the task would have been a bit more complicated.

Also a shout out to Carolina Crown for the use of their silver horns for this performance.

I'm going to let this soak in a bit more before rehashing the events that lead up to the Semifinals performance.

They performed in a standstill formation, with the guard also performing. The visual and drumline were decent. The hornline was OUTRAGEOUS!!!! Not enough superlatives for how they performed, and they blew the place apart!!! A memorable performance......

GB

There is no sweeter sound in DCI than Brandt Crocker on the mike with "Please welcome: the STAR of Indiana!". It's been sorely missed these past 17 years.

Does anyone have a rough guess as to what percentage of the alumni corps were actual Star FMM's (85-93) and what percentage were only members of Blast? I know there were a few Blast members out there.

Sadly, this confirms much of what I have suspected over the years. For those who say the booing shouldn't have bothered the corps, because it was directed at the designers, not the corps members . . . well, obviously it did bother the corps members, I think justifiably so. I'm sorry that happened, but am glad that last night at least made up for some of that pain.

Like my new friend El Guapo said, I would like to let things soak in a little more before reflecting on the magnificence of this past week for me. I don't know why I hesitate to share this, but a few things really struck me at our banquet on Saturday.

First, was Jim Mason fighting back tears as he relayed a story of how he had to help a member to his starting set because he was crying and in pain after an audience member had pelted him in the eye with a quarter. Bill Cook mentioned some things about the '92 show that brought back a hilarious memory for me from that year. We were forming up our victory arc when some chick from the audience yelled out "play something we know!" Not that we played the Star Spangled Banner or America the Beautiful straight up, but it doesn't take a musical genius to recognize the "variations" on these pieces. Lastly, one of my other new friends relayed to me how she witnessed another midwestern corps urinating on the bus she was sitting in.

It's not any one particular event that colored how the membership and staff felt, but the collective of all of these disrespectful actions and remarks over time. At that moment in that banquet hall, I had a catharsis and finally forgave Mr. Mason for removing my beloved corps from the field. I had finally gained some understanding and insight into his psyche at the point the decision was made. It pains me greatly, I still don't agree 100%, and I definitely wished we had said "eff it" and stuck around just to p.o. all the haters and reward our supporters, but at least I can relate, empathize, and understand the "why." Honestly, I never knew exactly how bad it got at times and how it must have burdened Jim to keep putting kids out there in a position to be treated that way. As he said later, Friday was validation and vindication and went very far to help us put these ugly moments to rest finally. Thank you to everyone in the audience who loved what we did and cheered us on...it was greatly appreciated...I would also like to thank those in the audience who hated us but managed to keep your mouths shut. I enjoyed pi***ng you off too.

To my Star brethren, I love you guys and hope we can get together again soon!!!

Ben Floyd

Edited by Medeabrass

Ben;

I just thought I'd like to state that I always loved Star (well....with the possible exception of the first half of 93! :thumbup: )...I knew the corps would make finals when I saw them in 85, and have always been bummed you left.

Having gone through the alum gig in 07, I understand the feelings...and I curse the fact that I could not be there.

Just getting home so i finally have internet.

What an incredible performance. That sound. Easily my favorite moments of the entire weekend. Obviously they didnt have drill (what's the point though, they'd never be able to recreate drill that would do the original justice, and attempting to would just get in the way of their trademark sound), but they did bring Star back to the field that night, one ive only heard on videos replayed many times.

The only downside... i wish id been old enough to know what drum corps was when they originally performed.

Also, what an incredible move to play for the ageouts, and then bring them in the circle.

Its too bad we couldntve brought back star for finals night.

Edited by AlexL

Great playing. The presentation was a bit cheesy but good overall. A bit of a letdown after Cavies, Anahiem, and Madison though.
lest ye forget . .

2002 Finals Night

edit: at :37, Brad Andrews solo; sadly we lost Brad last year. Those who knew him will never forget a great friend, kind soul and SCV stalwart.

Edited by the_aborigine