Star of Indiana--how did they do?

Plan, I realize this is several pages later in response .. but let me get something out of the way here (since this was an off topic comment)

Star was not Disliked, Hated or Boo'ed to the extent you represent. Not even close. I'm not even going to draw a comparison to 2010 BD because that would only make matters worse.

Star was, is and always will be a universally loved corps. They were controversial in their start with regards to their financing and placement at finals their first year. They were controversial in their end ... the 1993 show and departure to do other things. The years in between ........ not even close to

Wow, I would never use the term "universally loved" to describe Star's affection in the early 90's, at least. I went to A LOT of shows in 1992 and 1993 (especially those last two years), and I don't think I ever attended a show featuring them that I would deem "universally loved." I think you can say they were "universally respected," and no one could speak unbiased about praising the precision of all aspects of the corps. I went to many shows were many in the crowd around me boo'ed Star, boo'ed when the lost, and cheered emphatically when corps beat them. I heard so much bile in the stands as a young drum corps fan in regards to Star, their strong financial backing, and other things that aren't necessary to go into here. I don't know if you were at Finals in 1992, but when the scrims came up there was surely a TON of scuttlebutt/controversy regarding Star's attempts to "buy" another Championship from many people in the crowd that I personally heard.

I agree with you that comparing Star to Blue Devils 2010 is silly. To be honest, though, from my experiences as an avid drum corps fan in 1993 in the mid-west attending probably 6-10 shows, Blue Devils have not received as much negative criticism as Star did. Also, to be blunt, Blue Devils have had such a greater impact over such a great amount of time than Star of Indiana could aspire to (BD's 35 plus years competing at DCI with 13 Championships vs Star's 9 years of DCI wit 1 Championship). Star certainly made great strides, and they undoubtedly shifted the direction of DCI design (and I'm not even talking about the numerous contributions from Bill Cook that have helped keep DCI afloat in the early 90's). But minus the Bill Cook comments you can say the same exact thing about SCV, Blue Devils, Cadets, and Cavaliers who have made incredible contributions, and CONTINUE making incredible contributions to the activity.

The playing was the best out of those corps, as far as tone quality and arrangements. They were good in their own way...

I thought it was incredible.

I agree with you on the playing, though obviously Star's oldest alumni would be, what, mid-40's vs Cavaliers & Madison having substantially older people on the field (marching, no less).

I think you could almost argue a step further and say that Star Alumni were the best corps of the SEMIFINALS,a s far as tone quality and arrangements. :lookaround:

I was in sec 240, row 7, on the 50, and after hearing Star and trying to find something to wipe away the tears I looked around. I saw more people wiping away tears than I've ever seen at a show.

A close second was a few minutes before when George Bonfiglio was inducted into the HOF and they showed video clips of 27th. There weren't many dry eyes around me. One guy, sitting right in front of me, bawled so hard I wondered if he was going to be OK. He told me he drove the cook truck for 27th for 10 years back in their prime and he thought his world was going to end when they closed ranks and shut down.

Was a really touching closer for a lot of 'dinos' last night...

Actually George B. was one of the first inductees into the HOF, they were tributing him because he passed away in March, 2010.

Hearing George Z. talking about the cross was very inspiring and moving, having known him personally.

It was a very emotional night for me watching George B. and seeing George Z. with Star and all that they meant to me personally. The way they helped those of us age out gracefully in 86, I will never forget.

Thanks for sharing this.

Edited by Lancerlady

I agree with you on the playing, though obviously Star's oldest alumni would be, what, mid-40's vs Cavaliers & Madison having substantially older people on the field (marching, no less).

I think you could almost argue a step further and say that Star Alumni were the best corps of the SEMIFINALS,a s far as tone quality and arrangements. :lookaround:

Anaheim's average age was 49 in 2007.

there is a rather good alumni corps who just happens to hail from Bayonne, NJ....they do a full field show and I bet would be very well received at DCI Semifinals.....I'm just sayin' :lookaround::laughing:

I concur that they would more than likely be very well received. I would LOVE to see them at DCI Semifinals, and I sincerely hope that someone is working behind the scenes to make our dreams a reality in the near future

Someone just posted a clip of the 91 show sequence on Facebook....ye GODS what a sound!! Loved the backdrops as well.

Thanks for all the great compliments from everyone. I think I speak for everyone when I say that we enjoyed doing it as much as you enjoyed listening. Also thanks for the compliments on the backdrops. My friend Alan and I built the frames and we have over 100 hours a piece in those. Another member edited all the pictures then we combined the two efforts.

I would also like to make it known that the Blue Knights are our saviors for carrying them onto the field!

Thank you so much!!!!

It was an amazing experience. When we hiked back to the buses by "2's" It was a warm feeling when all the corps cheered us as we moved back to our buses. They were pounding on their bus windows and screaming in the parking lot!

As a Brass Theater Player we all got to do what we have dreamed. We got to be on the field and play as a Star of Indiana member.

Casey

Star of Indiana - Brass Theater '96

Star of Indiana Alumni '04

Star of Indiana Alumni '10

Personally I don't think 27 could be beat for nostalgia, performance,history, and total recreation... A special moment for sure

I'd buy that, although I'm probably biased because I saw them live. At the time, I was still a youngin' as a drum corps fan. When I heard they were going to play (in 94, right? after Finals I think), I kind of rolled my eyes and didn't have much interest in seeing a bunch of old fogies wondering around the field trying to recapture their glory. A stranger sitting around us told me that I wasn't going to want to miss their performance, pleading that something really special was about to happen. He hyped it up for me, and I kind of begrudgingly stayed.

When 27 came out I could feel the stadium explode in energy I hadn't felt all night for any DCI Top 12 corps. After about 30 seconds I was on my feat with everyone else in the stadium cheering for 27. Their precision, their sound, everything just completely blew me away. For the 20 or so minutes they performed, no other corps existed that night/season. I didn't care about scores, who placed where, etc. I was so caught up in the moment, and it was one of the first times that I felt I was truly seeing a snapshot of DCI's incredible past (of course, I felt a little nostalgic watching 94 Cadets WSS show, especially the end which was a 'modernized' adaptation of their 83 ending). That was a great performance, and ever since then I'm always excited to see what Alumni corps deliver to the DCI crowds.

I guess for me personally, Star Alumni didn't capture as much nostalgia since they had such a limited/short history compared to other corps (CAC, Scouts, etc). It was cool, and I LOVED how they sounded; while I was a little bummed they didn't to any marching I thought their alternative was original and nostalgic and appropriately tugged at the heartstrings as much/more than drill would have. I admire all of Star's alumni who performed Friday night for us, and I thank them for their awesome efforts (and clinic in great brass tone).

They sounded amazing. No marching though.

You can search for star of Indiana wish you were upon a star on an infamous video site and get a great recording by the way.

They were outstanding, superior as usual!, and I was glad they did not try to march. It was a wonderful and emotional display of prowess, and I want to thank them for doing it!

They may not have marched, but from the little clip I found, the guard DID do a ton of the original choreography (at least from the Medea section) and use the actual silks. I'd recognize that work anywhere. That's fantastic (and impressive after all this time, as it wasn't easy stuff)! Was it like that through the rest of the show too?