Star of Indiana--how did they do?

Thanks for all of the compliments. The playing members of the Alumni Group last night hit a home run! It was both an emotional, and beloved experience for me to watch old friends recreate our signature sound. It was also nice to see the video clips of Dubie, Mr. Cook, DVD, and George Z. But, most of all I enjoyed seeing Jim Mason recognize the efforts of the people participating last night. Jim has distanced himself from our group over the past few years and his abscence has been a bit of a mystery to us.

However, I have to say that there was one bitter-sweet moment for me as an alumni. It was absolutely amazing to watch the crowd and feel the warmth of the praise heaped upon the group. For those that say we were universally loved as a goup...I beg to differ. During my years I saw, heard, and felt the wrath of MANY unappreaciative fans in the form of boos and other disparaging remarks. I turned to a close friend while on the sideline last night and made the remark that if we would have been received like that more often in the early 90's we probably would not have an alumni corps on the field, but a compteing junior corps. Who knows...maybe not. However, I can assure you that last night went a long way to making up some of the feelings that all alumni from star can relate to.

Thanks to those who participated and I wish I could have been there with you!

However, I have to say that there was one bitter-sweet moment for me as an alumni. It was absolutely amazing to watch the crowd and feel the warmth of the praise heaped upon the group. For those that say we were universally loved as a goup...I beg to differ. During my years I saw, heard, and felt the wrath of MANY unappreaciative fans in the form of boos and other disparaging remarks. I turned to a close friend while on the sideline last night and made the remark that if we would have been received like that more often in the early 90's we probably would not have an alumni corps on the field, but a compteing junior corps. Who knows...maybe not. However, I can assure you that last night went a long way to making up some of the feelings that all alumni from star can relate to.

Sadly, this confirms much of what I have suspected over the years. For those who say the booing shouldn't have bothered the corps, because it was directed at the designers, not the corps members . . . well, obviously it did bother the corps members, I think justifiably so. I'm sorry that happened, but am glad that last night at least made up for some of that pain.

Edited by byline

Thanks for all of the compliments. The playing members of the Alumni Group last night hit a home run! It was both an emotional, and beloved experience for me to watch old friends recreate our signature sound. It was also nice to see the video clips of Dubie, Mr. Cook, DVD, and George Z. But, most of all I enjoyed seeing Jim Mason recognize the efforts of the people participating last night. Jim has distanced himself from our group over the past few years and his abscence has been a bit of a mystery to us.

Thanks to those who participated and I wish I could have been there with you!

I am glad to hear that you found some closure and solace in that. You should also watch the CNN story floating around as well..

For me it was incredible seeing George Z. explain to y'all the importance of the cross. George B. had shared that story with me but to see it was incredible as well. Thank you for a spectacular performance!

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/BUSINESS/08/12...uble/index.html

Edited by Lancerlady

Where can a body find a video of the show?

For me it was incredible seeing George Z. explain to y'all the importance of the cross.

Any chance anyone know where I can get a hold of that footage?I saw it last night on the Semifinals webcast for the first time.

Edited by Zeke

Star was not Disliked, Hated or Boo'ed to the extent you represent. Not even close. I'm not even going to draw a comparison to 2010 BD because that would only make matters worse.

Star was, is and always will be a universally loved corps.

Sorry, but this is simply untrue.

They were ROUNDLY booed in 92 for daring to win the prelims, and the squeals of delight at their ultimate misfortune on finals night were absolutely indicative of derision from a large contingent of the crowd. I even had conversations with members of their staff about it, they were thoroughly disgusted and angered by the boorishness of the crowds (93 had yet to happen, although the programming decisions DID contain a bit of "in yer face!" attitude based on years past and the treatment they received).

I also recall them being booed in 91, and even as far back as 88 in a backwater show where they beat the beloved Cavies (totally deserved to beat them, too...they were FAR better at that point in the season but noone cared).

the star show was the best part of the night - coherent melodies, musical phrases - after devs and cavies it was a stark reminder of how much more musical and entertaining drum corps was back in the 80s/90s.

interesting to note - the video montage of Star showing the audience at finals back at Camp Randal - entire front side both decks completely full -

compare that to the audience at prelims last night - there were what, maybe 8-10K people at Indianapolis last night?

Although I liked both the Cavaliers and Blue Devils shows this year, I agree with you here. Could Star of Indiana competing as a world class corp again be what saves DCI? How ironic indeed.

Sorry, but this is simply untrue.

They were ROUNDLY booed in 92 for daring to win the prelims, and the squeals of delight at their ultimate misfortune on finals night were absolutely indicative of derision from a large contingent of the crowd. I even had conversations with members of their staff about it, they were thoroughly disgusted and angered by the boorishness of the crowds (93 had yet to happen, although the programming decisions DID contain a bit of "in yer face!" attitude based on years past and the treatment they received).

I also recall them being booed in 91, and even as far back as 88 in a backwater show where they beat the beloved Cavies (totally deserved to beat them, too...they were FAR better at that point in the season but noone cared).

Didn't some of the negative crowd reaction have to do with the fact that Star was viewed as having a significant (and perhaps unfair) financial advantage over the competition?