Dan Acheson contract renewed as DCI Executive Director

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yours was good too, but you know what i think and vice versa

DCI without the top 7-8 corps would be like attending a drumcorp show with two botom 12 corps and 10 B class corps. Sure it's still entertaining but not at the same level.

G7-8 could increase the length of shows and fully develop music and themes.

Let's be honest their are only a few shows each year that are stacked with world class competition. San Antonio, Atlanta, Allentown and Worlds and a sprinkling of others. Most shows outside of those are over priced.

I don't think the corps are ready to make that leap but that move isn't far away on the calendar.

Not neccessarily. You are baseing this on the fact that if the G-7 left and went out on their own to do whatever it is they want to take a risk at that in terms of woodwinds useage, exhibitions, or whatever, that the Non G-7 Corps of Boston, Blue Stars, Madison, Glassmen, Blue Knights, Colts, Academy, Troopers, Teal Sound, Spirit, and all the others would not get better quality staff, marchers, etc. .... Plus, if it ever came to the radical move of leaving DCI, I'm not sure that ALL the 7 Corps could be counted on leaving either.

Pretend for a moment you are Cavaliers, Phantom, or Blue Coats: You just witnessed Hopkins and Gibbs recommending the death of other Corps in the G-7 proposal..... a dozen. Now.... if things get a little tough financially out there on the College Band suck up tour, do you really think for a moment that Gibbs and Hopkins won't then turn to 2 or 3 of the G-7 and say " you know, you guys are struggling financially, and not carrying your weight, so we're going to have to dump the G-7 and make it a G- 5 now ".

If I'm the Cavs, Phantom, Bluecoats, etc.... I wouldn't trust George Hopkins or David Gibbs to protect my Corps interests in a pickle. I 'd rather stick with the others in DCI that have never plotted behind closed doors EVER to bury other Corps. If these Corps trust Gibbs and Hopkins, fine. Good luck with that.

Edited by BRASSO

Pretend for a moment you are Cavaliers, Phantom, or Blue Coats: You just witnessed Hopkins and Gibbs recommending the death of other Corps in the G-7 proposal..... a dozen. Now.... if things get a little tough financially out there on the College Band suck up tour, do you really think for a moment that Gibbs and Hopkins won't then turn to 2 or 3 of the G-7 and say " you know, you guys are struggling financially, and not carrying your weight, so we're going to have to dump the G-7 and make it a G- 5 now ".

BRASSO -- you have no idea how real this scenario would be given the "track record" of Messrs Hopkins and Gibbs.

I give a week's salary to know how Jerry Seawright (former BD director), and Dr. Santo (former Garfield Cadets director) would handle Hoppy and Gibbs!!

I was in Naperville (prior to the rain!) and heard Don Warren tell a few of his alums who were outside the stadium, that "The Cavaliers would never be a part of a plan that would hurt DCI or any of the drum corps." Looks like there might be dissension in the ranks. I have a feeling that the G-7 corps were not expecting the type of backlash they received when their plan was unveiled.

I was in Naperville (prior to the rain!) and heard Don Warren tell a few of his alums who were outside the stadium, that "The Cavaliers would never be a part of a plan that would hurt DCI or any of the drum corps." Looks like there might be dissension in the ranks. I have a feeling that the G-7 corps were not expecting the type of backlash they received when their plan was unveiled.

the Cavies have a rep for straddling the fence on most issues, but I can see the Old Man not being behind this one.

A few thoughts & a statement -

Victor, what a well thought out and brilliantly worded email on the G7 issue! :smile:

Jeff, LOL, I thought that we Cavaliers were the only ones who called Don Warren "The Old Man". :tongue: His contributions to us & ALL Corps for 62 years is remarkable. As he is the very Soul of The Cavaliers, I can't envision him approving of anything which would harm The Green Machine or ANY OTHER CORPS!

And to the rest of you who question the Hopkins agenda, know this;

I have no animosity towards him personally (I think the vandalization of his car was not only criminal, but reflected badly on ALL of us), but have real concerns about his tunnel vision as regards the future of Drum Corps. Drum & Bugle Corps have a History & Tradition greater than any single Corps or individual

We 'old pharts". "Dinosaurs", "Fossils", as well as our younger Sisters & Brothers, have an obligation to maintain that History and that Tradition! :blink:

i have the Cavies book signed by him, and i asked him to sign "the old man" on it :smile: