Hate

hatersgonnacat.jpg

As for OP: I totally agree. I think it is perfectly alright for people to dislike a show. However, I think people should try and break down why. What is it you dislike? The drill, the music, the arrangement, etc.

Intelligently worded topics or break downs of what you don't like about a show make for good discussions. I love when posters say "I think if the guard brought out those flags sooner or had this color flag, it might make for a more effective moment" instead of "This show has no GE. Why are they above MY corps!?!?!?" Comparisons can sometimes make good discussions, but often times it falls back to "well my corps marches bigger steps!" and "well MY corps takes up more of the field!"

good point. Sometimes if a poster says " this show was boring beyond belief " might make us understand better their obervation by explaining in more detail what sections of the Corps... and why.... this was boring for them. That said, a poster who resorts to vile name calling of a person as " a hater " for finding a particular show of a Corp boring, might want to just move on from the hate talk as it really serves no purpose either. Sometimes other posters might agree with the assessment of the poster regarding the Corps show that year and should not feel intimindated that they too might be called " a hater " for not liking something the other poster liked a lot.

Edited by BRASSO

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Some people just need thicker skin. The is an online forum where opinions are expressed. They can be negative or positive. I personally HATE the Blue Devils show this year. They perform the hell out of it... but I hate their show (which I have a feeling that might be what they are going for... they are still getting crowd reaction.. usually an angry reaction). But I'm not entertained by it. I see absolutely no issue with me hating BD's show design. If that insults someone personally... grow some thicker skin. I don't like your product. I have a right to express my truthful opinion on that.

And there is a ton of negativity on here... hell a year ago or so i tried to create a positive thoughts only thread about DCI. The thread died in less than a week. The "we hate/love synths" debate took over.

It is a forum... debates are going to happen... and Americans love to ##### about things. Including me : tongue:

Thanks!

You expressed your opinion (even one of "hate") very eloquently. You didn't do it by insulting others, and you didn't post it in a spiteful manner. I guess that's what I'm talking about.

Well,... here is a perfect example of the " hate" talk. When you call college football fans who are critical of their team " drunks ", you illustrate exactly what I mean. So thank you for coming on here and making my point. When we call people who disagree wth us " haters " ... or " drunks " or other vile names, t's cool and all, but we lose the attempt at a high ground. It naturally falls under it's own weight of intolerance when we resort to name calling, although sometimes the name calling can be apt. What if we turned it around and called a Corps staff member who designed a show that we find boring or weird, that he must have been a " drunk " or " stoned " when he designed it. Is this acceptable ? No. Then why call out college fans on a message board when they might be critical of a teams play " drunk " when they said it ?

I'd like to buy you a drink !

Some people should visit "Argue with Everyone" political forums for a real jolt of "hate".

Some people just need thicker skin. The is an online forum where opinions are expressed. They can be negative or positive. I personally HATE the Blue Devils show this year. They perform the hell out of it... but I hate their show (which I have a feeling that might be what they are going for... they are still getting crowd reaction.. usually an angry reaction). But I'm not entertained by it. I see absolutely no issue with me hating BD's show design. If that insults someone personally... grow some thicker skin. I don't like your product. I have a right to express my truthful opinion on that.

And there is a ton of negativity on here... hell a year ago or so i tried to create a positive thoughts only thread about DCI. The thread died in less than a week. The "we hate/love synths" debate took over.

It is a forum... debates are going to happen... and Americans love to ##### about things. Including me : tongue:

Exactly. A message board where everyone agrees with everyone else.... now THAT'S a boring message board...and one that's about to be closed down due to non interest before you know it.

I'm all for no hate and reasonless garbage... however I also don't support the "feel good/everyone's a winner!" attitude that's pushed by a lot of you either. Criticism, both good and bad, should be allowed on here.

I'm all for no hate and reasonless garbage... however I also don't support the "feel good/everyone's a winner!" attitude that's pushed by a lot of you either. Criticism, both good and bad, should be allowed on here.

Ditto that ... one winner (well ... per class!).

From Dictionary.com

• to find fault; judge unfavorably or harshly
  • to make judgments as to merits and faults.

I think that the negative posters usually criticize using the the first definition, not the second!

I agree. The best way to keep forums more positive is to ignore problem instigators.

Agreed. This is what I have learned as a newbie on this forum. It is pretty obvious, I think, who the intelligent, rational, even-handed posters are on DCP. They might not like who I love, and vice versa. But, I always learn something from them because they balance their thoughts...... critical with positive. Their comments come from a place of real love for the activity. Then, there are others who are relentlessly negative and seem to have, I don't know...... maybe a bitter outlook on life in general. These posters I now ignore. They really never have anything constructive to add to the conversation.

So, I thank all the informed, passionate, balanced, and fair-minded posters who have given me a wealth of insight to drum corps. I've learned a lot.....and I've come to appreciate every single show this year. And I truly enjoy them all...... I can find something entertaining in them all.

Good luck to all the corps tonight. It's been a fantastic summer!!!! :lookaround:

I wonder how much of this "hate" talk has ramped up as the season comes to a close ?

Seems it's always been here but in hushed tones, unlike RAMD. I find way too many people getting too serious on both sides of this argument / discussion. I'm one of those smart ###es that likes to sit back and see who has their panties in a bunch and then "poke the bear in the cage" to watch the reaction.

My senility may be sneeking up on me but I remember the biggest problem on RAMD were the goody two shoes who thought their idea of a discussion was superior to everyone else and in turn would condem some posters for their rants and start the whole ruckus all over again.

George was one of the people who was fed up with the "attacks" but in many cases he brought them on himself by lambasting those taking things TOO seriously ( as well as those using foul language.)

The strongest point on DCP is the fact that most discussions are kept ON TOPIC. Second strongest to me is the fact that most discussions are kept civil ( as compared to RAMD ) Just the fact that curse words are blocked makes this a wonderful place to be yet one can get their point across with a few well placed censored words !

The fact that this seems to be a game changing season because of a few shows, there's bound to be some people upset that it's no longer "what drum corps was to them". When that happens, people usually tend to be more vocal against what they don't like and in turn irks the heck out of those willing to accept anything performed on the field.

When people feel like it's passed them by, they have nothing left to lose. In many cases they just can't tear themselves away so they keep pushing the limits until they get kicked off. Once that happens they can leave feeling they were FORCED away by unjust treatment.

You know, I HATE when THAT happens :lookaround:

Well I doubt your grandmother ever rode a DC bus ?

No she never did... Had she she would have expressed all things positive and ignored all things negative as she did in all aspects of her life... You probably should have met her! lol :lookaround: