I haven't seen a thread on this..

Why can't people make professional marching bands and leave the corps alone? I mean, it'd be more expensive, but why change something so many people love, just to please others? Why can't those others make their own circuit of marching bands? I don't think Drum Corps should have to suffer at the expense of marching band when they can co-exist. Any opinions?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm saying, instead of putting woodwinds into drum corps, why not just make a circuit of marching bands and keep DCI the way it is?

Silly you trying to use common sense when speaking of DCI :lookaround:

those wanting to add woodwinds to drum corps are counting on enough of the legacy fans to hang around to make it viable. They have the drum corps history, and the DCI name if they can get it converted..the backbone of contests and getting lodging for "corps" would already be in place.

If they started a separate "band corps", they'd have to almost start from scratch. No history...no alumni sending in their dollars...

IMO, those that want to convert drum corps in to band corps don't give a fig about drum corps. If they really, really wanted band corps, they could do it without using drum corps as their base and crutch.

Edited by skewerz

IMO, those that want to convert drum corps in to band corps don't give a fig about drum corps. If they really, really wanted band corps, they could do it without using drum corps as their base and crutch.

You would think so, right? I haven't marched yet and I think its pretty unfair for people like me who dream of marching in a corps to have people that want to turn it into something you can do at school.

You would think so, right? I haven't marched yet and I think its pretty unfair for people like me who dream of marching in a corps to have people that want to turn it into something you can do at school.

QFT

I like the idea of a Marching Band International :lookaround: apart from DCI of course..

That's what we need. I just don't see how people could want to watch/march in a dci-style marching band circuit. Go watch your local high school. That whole idea of woodwinds in drum corps just seems really lame to me :thumbup: .

Why can't people make professional marching bands and leave the corps alone? I mean, it'd be more expensive, but why change something so many people love, just to please others? Why can't those others make their own circuit of marching bands? I don't think Drum Corps should have to suffer at the expense of marching band when they can co-exist. Any opinions?

Because the ones (and it is only a couple right now) who want that happen to be the directors of DCI corps. Why would they NOT want their groups to use WW, if they believe it is a good idea?

Drum corps would not 'suffer' if WW were added, BTW.