They need a live broadcast of Finals!

According to DCI last year was the last year of the contract. I remember asking the question during semifinals last year on fan network. You could ask questions of them during the show. They said last year was it with ESPN. They also told me a year ago their would be no live finals this year. Don't know about next year.

According to DCI last year was the last year of the contract. I remember asking the question during semifinals last year on fan network. You could ask questions of them during the show. They said last year was it with ESPN. They also told me a year ago their would be no live finals this year. Don't know about next year.

Good...ESPN finals show was ok, better than nothing, maybe this leaves the door open for a return to PBS...if not the pay per view thing would work. People get the chance to watch two guys beat the snot out of each other, so why can't we get live drum corps?

I thought that ESPN exclusive on finals night broadcasts has lapsed by now. I could be wrong, but that deal was years ago, and my guess is it's gone.

I think the real reason DCI doesn't webcast finals is that they want people to travel to Indy and buy the DVDs. If DCI webcasts finals, people will stay home and capture video to save money instead of traveling to Indianapolis. Look how cinecasting quarterfinals has cannibalized attendance on Thursday, even from people who bought tickets, which hurts hotel and restaurant revenue, part of the package deal both DCI and Indy have an interest in.

Webcasting finals may come eventually, but if it does, it won't be cheap. DCI can't afford it to be cheap. They need to preserve the value of their most valuable product, which is finals each year.

Trust me, I understand all the reasons why not, but in this economy they'd have been better off. Maybe giving Indy a cut of the PPV gate would be an idea. I'd much rather see it live than on TV or in a theater, but even in the best of times I'd not attend more than every couple of years. Why should DCI forfeit potential revenue like that? In addition, the blatant refusal to move finals around makes it even more costly for fans to come out. All those people from PA, MI, IN, IL and adjoining areas get a fairly cheap trip. Us west coasters (there are LOTS of us...anyone check the crowd at the Rose Bowl?) are expected to either sit home or pony up huge money EVERY year to attend? Same goes for a lot of other areas of the country not easily accessible. Families are busy, and perhaps can't make a four or five day trip out to Indy either. Chalk up thousands of other potential paying customers that DCI won't be getting a penny from tonight.

The whole equation doesn't work, and makes some type of PPV or theater broadcast a must for DCI to survive financially. You didn't have me, and a lot of others, at finals this year. We'd have been happy to give DCI $49.95 or more to see it...I guess "forcing" us to come to Indy didn't work out so well now did it? It's high time something is done!

Good...ESPN finals show was ok, better than nothing, maybe this leaves the door open for a return to PBS...if not the pay per view thing would work. People get the chance to watch two guys beat the snot out of each other, so why can't we get live drum corps?

Personally, I dont thin k Drum corps small niche can be financially sound for some of these venues, I'm kind of surprised its still in some theaters. Anyway, Why would DCI broadcast Finals through PBS or anywhere else for free , when they can get us sitting home to pay maybe almost as much as being there?

I think the real reason DCI doesn't webcast finals is that they want people to travel to Indy and buy the DVDs. If DCI webcasts finals, people will stay home and capture video to save money instead of traveling to Indianapolis. Look how cinecasting quarterfinals has cannibalized attendance on Thursday, even from people who bought tickets, which hurts hotel and restaurant revenue, part of the package deal both DCI and Indy have an interest in.

To counter this DCI could make certain stipulations such as:

1) make the finals webcast solely PPV. Don't include it w/Fan Network, essentially "forcing" subscribers to pay extra for the stream.

2) make the rice comparable to a Finals ticket, but still make it reasonable. I would easily pay $50-75 to stream finals. Those prices are similar to some ticket prices, but fair IMO.

3) make the stream high cam only. No frills, no multi-cam, no commentary. Just the high cam show. That might get people to pay for the DVD's wanting a bigger/better product

4) stream it in low quality. Again, it would whet the appetites of fans and leave us wanting more. Wouldn't be worth video capturing a crappy quality product. It wouldn't be perfect, but for tons of us not there at least it would be something that will keep our interests in DCI finals maximized. Maximized interests generally leads to more impulse type bugging (of the DVDs)

5) don't put videos up on fan network until after the DVDs are shipped. Make a one time thing increasing interest, and then get us to buy the DVDs to see it again and relive the excitement

7) include a discount good on the DVDs/blu-rays good only for the duration of the finals webcast. While we're wrapped up in the hype, and we see s constant add for DVD discounts, people might likely buy the DVDs in all of the hype of the event

Obviously my common theme is pushing product for DCI. The sole reason I'm getting the DVDs this years is because I bought the pricier package to watch the finals streams tomorrow. DCI might be able to increase revenue with a model I outlined above.

Also, no matter what unless DCI Finals is held in So Cal again I am really unlikely to go to Finals due to travel expenses. If I'm already not going to go, IMO DCI is missing out on an opportunity to capture money from me. As it stands they're not making a dime off of me via Finals, but with a PPV Finals broadcast they'd be making free money for probably minimal effete. I cant imagine I'm the only one that This applies to, so it's logical to think DCI could help themselves financially by implementing this plan.

P

Obviously this would be a HUpGE gamble, and I can understand them being hesitant. I also admittedly don't know the logistics of this type of thing, nor have i done any market research so maybe it's not practical for them to do this. Might at then very least it's worth exploring, and I would welcome the idea. I think it would be the next big step for them, and I want to believe that Saturday night's live stream of the finale was a beta test to see if DCI could at least handle the traffic. I'm really hoping DCI is willing and capable of providing us with Finals live stream sometime in ten near future. I think the same arguments that apply to pro sports live streaming games applies to DCI: fans unable to attend games for one reason or another will still give away money to follow their favorite team "second hand" via streaming.

The whole equation doesn't work, and makes some type of PPV or theater broadcast a must for DCI to survive financially. You didn't have me, and a lot of others, at finals this year. We'd have been happy to give DCI $49.95 or more to see it...I guess "forcing" us to come to Indy didn't work out so well now did it? It's high time something is done!

I totally agree with this, and perhaps it would be a good compromise for DCI: we're staying in the Midwest for ten years straight, but we'll throw west coast and southern DCI fans a bone with the PPV while at the same time gaining extra revenue for minimal work.

To counter this DCI could make certain stipulations such as:

1) make the finals webcast solely PPV. Don't include it w/Fan Network, essentially "forcing" subscribers to pay extra for the stream.

2) make the rice comparable to a Finals ticket, but still make it reasonable. I would easily pay $50-75 to stream finals. Those prices are similar to some ticket prices, but fair IMO.

3) make the stream high cam only. No frills, no multi-cam, no commentary. Just the high cam show. That might get people to pay for the DVD's wanting a bigger/better product

4) stream it in low quality. Again, it would whet the appetites of fans and leave us wanting more. Wouldn't be worth video capturing a crappy quality product. It wouldn't be perfect, but for tons of us not there at least it would be something that will keep our interests in DCI finals maximized. Maximized interests generally leads to more impulse type bugging (of the DVDs)

5) don't put videos up on fan network until after the DVDs are shipped. Make a one time thing increasing interest, and then get us to buy the DVDs to see it again and relive the excitement

7) include a discount good on the DVDs/blu-rays good only for the duration of the finals webcast. While we're wrapped up in the hype, and we see s constant add for DVD discounts, people might likely buy the DVDs in all of the hype of the event

Obviously my common theme is pushing product for DCI. The sole reason I'm getting the DVDs this years is because I bought the pricier package to watch the finals streams tomorrow. DCI might be able to increase revenue with a model I outlined above.

Also, no matter what unless DCI Finals is held in So Cal again I am really unlikely to go to Finals due to travel expenses. If I'm already not going to go, IMO DCI is missing out on an opportunity to capture money from me. As it stands they're not making a dime off of me via Finals, but with a PPV Finals broadcast they'd be making free money for probably minimal effete. I cant imagine I'm the only one that This applies to, so it's logical to think DCI could help themselves financially by implementing this plan.

P

Obviously this would be a HUpGE gamble, and I can understand them being hesitant. I also admittedly don't know the logistics of this type of thing, nor have i done any market research so maybe it's not practical for them to do this. Might at then very least it's worth exploring, and I would welcome the idea. I think it would be the next big step for them, and I want to believe that Saturday night's live stream of the finale was a beta test to see if DCI could at least handle the traffic. I'm really hoping DCI is willing and capable of providing us with Finals live stream sometime in ten near future. I think the same arguments that apply to pro sports live streaming games applies to DCI: fans unable to attend games for one reason or another will still give away money to follow their favorite team "second hand" via streaming.

Somebody above in the thread who seems confident in his info said 2010 was actually the last year ESPN had exclusive rights, so I guess we're about to find out by next spring if webcasting 2011 finals is possible. I agree that with your suggestions, it could be successful to those who really want it and are willing to pay $50-75, but you know there would a TON of complaining on DCP along the lines of $75 for this low-quality package... are they kidding me??!? There will be people here who will expect HD multicam finals for $24.95. I just don't think they can afford to do that, because it will cannibalize travel to Indy and purchases of videos. DCI does not want people forgoing the trip or video purchases because fans make a financial choice as to which is the better value to them. They will only want to do this to capture revenue there is no other way to get.