2010 Finals Booing?

I came here to check out how the scores turned out and I find this? Really people? Booing the Blue Devils? Drum Corps has turned into something I don't even recognize anymore, i.e. G7, amps, elec/bass guitars, and now booing. It saddens me. The spirit of Drum Corps is lost.

The spirit of drum corps is alive and well, and if you looked out on the field, attended any rehearsal, or paid a visit to the corps truck/bus area before or after a show you'd see it. If a few fans want to be d-bags, hey, no sweat.

Believe me when I say that the Blue Devils members, alumni, and fans will drink the tears of your hatred like a fine wine. Cheers!

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An amatuer should never be booed. Period. A professional can be booed, and probably should be booed, when they have not earned what you have paid them.

These are excellent points.

Maybe all the dissonance killed my hearing, but I heard no boos in there. What heard and saw was when the crowd was done giving Cavies thecstanding O for their score, I saw a lot of people just get up and leave.

When I saw later people talk about booing my group was stunned. We didn't hear any.

No booing??? Obviously none of you ever attended the old Dream contest in Jersey City...

Absolutely correct!! I remember marching into the stadium and being booed back in the 70's. Sky's fans booed Cabs, and Cabs fans booed Sky! What a trip!! :smile:

People act like this is a new thing. People HATED Star back when they were active. Not just the 93 show either. They hated them from the start. They made finals their first year and people called them the Mickey Mouse corps and the best drum corps money can buy. They hated their buses and trucks and talked about how it was unfair they had all the money and said they shouldn't be allowed to have all this good stuff. They did a show in 2002 that was custom made as a fan friendly show and did everything but shoot free t-shirts into the stands and people still sat on their hands and complained about how expensive those big screens they used were. People HATED Star from 1985 to 2003 and plenty of people said good riddance when they went off to broadway.

Don't act like back in the day everything was harmony and happiness. This is nothing new.

There's a thread here with pages of people complaining about BD staying at a hotel even though it is because they got thrown out of their housing because the Blue Stars flipped off the school principal earlier in the summer. Where's the negative Blue Star thread complaining about them giving a bad image to drum corps? Flipping off that principal will probably have repercussions for years on housing sites in the Indy area. Its not like those guys don't talk to each other. Next year there may be dozens of schools that are closed to DCI because of that middle finger.

I didn't especially like the BD show this year but I can respect the excellence but respect doesn't sell many tickets. I also think the staff knew they were going to get booed when they wrote the show and frankly they didn't care because they get paid to bring home championships.

There are two reasons they are getting booed. One is pure jealousy of their success and you'll never get rid of that as witnessed by the hotel thread. The other is debated endlessly here on DCP so I won't go into it here.

Could it possibly be that people were showing their appreciation for the live blogging?

Absolutely. They all just wanted More Mike. Boo, that is, not microphones. More live blogging, more score recap analysis, more wit and wisdom from Michael Boo.

What else could it possibly be? It wasn't appropriate to cheer for the Bluecoats there.

Maybe all the dissonance killed my hearing, but I heard no boos in there. What heard and saw was when the crowd was done giving Cavies thecstanding O for their score, I saw a lot of people just get up and leave.

When I saw later people talk about booing my group was stunned. We didn't hear any.

I can honestly say I didn't hear any booing either, but I was out at the 20 yard line. Maybe the quality of sound of the "boos" was greater at the 50. If that's what an extra $40 (on top of the $85 that I paid) gets you, I'll pass. . . .

The lack of enthusiasm at the announcement of the champion was far more telling than any boos from the audience. It was just a totally different feel from any finals I have ever attended before.

I wasn't at the show last night as school has already started in my area. I would like to know the approximate number of people booing the Blue Devils. I will admit they are great great performers, but the show is not my cup of tea. I would not pay to see them again. That is just my opinion. However, I do realize they are very good.

As for Star of Indiana, I remember a lot of the jealousy was due to the money given to them to purchase equipment, staff, and etc. I actually felt sorry for them at many shows.

I do find it that I am more critical of shows these days than back in the late 1970's and 1980's. I prefer recognizeable music that is not segmented. I do appreciated that advancement in color guard and drill design. My largest complaint is with music. In fact, I have taken people to watch drum corps shows (potential donors) and they hated it except for a few corps. I kept hearing over and over, "Why don't corps play music that I recognize." I am so glad that Madison performed this year's show. :smile:

For the posters who are pointing out that this is nothing new, many of us know this. I was troubled by it back in Star's day, and I'm troubled by it for BD now.

For me, it's not just a matter of civility; it's about ineffective communication. Booing the corps on the field only sends a message that you're booing the corps on the field. There's no way for them, or anyone else, to "interpret" what those boos are supposed to mean, so in the end, all it does is make the booers feel better for about five seconds, and the booees feel bad for a lifetime.

If you don't like the show design, loathe the G7, whatever, fine. Nobody's infringing on your right to communicate. Write a letter or pick up the phone and take it up directly with the designers and administrators. Don't take it out on the performers who have no control over any of that.