Injured Crown Member

That was a scary moment last night. But his determination to walk off the field with that was incredible. All my section saw, was him limping awkwardly with a judge trying to help him. But we only thought he fainted. Everyone up at section 642 offer all our prayers!

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the update! And thanks for not closing this thread!

I Love DCP. DCP is the voice of reason in this activity. What John Donovan has done with DCP over the past few years has been incredible. He has turned DCP from a rumor filled pile of rubble into a recognized and respected player in the marching music community.

But last night's closing of the "injured" thread by a MOD was questionable at best. You had Mike Boo, who is supposed to be the voice or blogger of DCI reporting an Injury, while his initial "facts" from last night now appear to be wrong, he went what what he thought happened and posted it on DCP. Then you had Eric Sabach of Crown, who is a great individual, the guy that helped get the Blue Stars back on track into the top 12 and now doing marvelous thing with Crown, asking for the thread to be closed while the injury recovery was taking place. You also had assorted people reporting the injury on what they may or may have not seen as well. But while this was a tough injury and a young person was hurt, I really think EVERYONE overreacted to the whole situation.

In this day and age of instant news, tweeting, facebook, texting, myspace, YouTube and other social network sites people expect thier news now, it's how we live, it's what we created. If you can post on FB that you just had a "good solid bowel movement" or that you are attending a "Star Trek Convention", I can't see what the harm was with saying a kid "broke" his leg. Saying that his family may read this on DCP was not a great response, I would hope his family was at the show, or watching on the fan network and then if so, picking up the phone to call people at Crown to see how thier child was. If they weren't there or watching I am more than confident the Crown people got right on the phone with them to inform them of the injury. I can think back a few years ago when a Boston Crusaders bass drummer nailed a judge and that judge required medical help, we didn't close threads, we laughed at it because it was a judge.

News is News and we all want to be involved in the News. Injuries happen in sports all the time and as we all know Drum Corps injuries happen more than they are reported, some that can effect us for the rest of our lives. I think the next time this happens, we just let it go, it will all straighten out in the coming hours, just as this issue did.

I wish this performer a speedy recovery and hope they don't have any further complications from this injury!

Edited by CT-Horn

Wow that's totally tough stuff. It's just heartbreaking to see that happen. Reading the posts and as a professional massage therapist & dealing with knee problems regularly he may have been overcompensating for the knee problem he was suffering from and caused an unusual burden on the tibia (shin bone). Whatever caused it...my heart goes out to him and wish him a thorough and speedy recovery.

I Love DCP. DCP is the voice of reason in this activity. What John Donovan has done with DCP over the past few years has been incredible. He has turned DCP from a rumor filled pile of rubble into a recognized and respected player in the marching music community.

But last night's closing of the "injured" thread by a MOD was questionable at best. You had Mike Boo, who is supposed to be the voice or blogger of DCI reporting an Injury, while his initial "facts" from last night now appear to be wrong, he went what what he thought happened and posted it on DCP. Then you had Eric Sabach of Crown, who is a great individual, the guy that helped get the Blue Stars back on track into the top 12 and now doing marvelous thing with Crown, asking for the thread to be closed while the injury recovery was taking place. You also had assorted people reporting the injury on what they may or may have not seen as well. But while this was a tough injury and a young person was hurt, I really think EVERYONE overreacted to the whole situation.

In this day and age of instant news, tweeting, facebook, texting, myspace, YouTube and other social network sites people expect thier news now, it's how we live, it's what we created. If you can post on FB that you just had a "good solid bowel movement" or that you are attending a "Star Trek Convention", I can't see what the harm was with saying a kid "broke" his leg. Saying that his family may read this on DCP was not a great response, I would hope his family was at the show, or watching on the fan network and then if so, picking up the phone to call people at Crown to see how thier child was. If they weren't there or watching I am more than confident the Crown people got right on the phone with them to inform them of the injury. I can think back a few years ago when a Boston Crusaders bass drummer nailed a judge and that judge required medical help, we didn't close threads, we laughed at it because it was a judge.

News is News and we all want to be involved in the News. Injuries happen in sports all the time and as we all know Drum Corps injuries happen more than they are reported, some that can effect us for the rest of our lives. I think the next time this happens, we just let it go, it will all straighten out in the coming hours, just as this issue did.

I wish this performer a speedy recovery and hope they don't have any further complications from this injury!

Thank you for your kind words and concern about this issue.

The decision to moderate the thread last night was pretty straight forward. We received a request from Carolina Crown to remove the information ... and when it comes to information about a current marching member, we will **always** honor the request of the corps. Shortly thereafter, an announcement was made by Jim Coates - which was published and discussion continues in this thread.

Our collective thoughts and prayers are with this young man for his speedy recovery .... along with our admiration for his courage and dedication to his corps.

-john

Does anyone know if this was caught on the fan network? The EMT in me wants to see what the MOI was... !?!

Same. I have my licensing exam in 2 weeks. :)

According to Crown's Twitter:

"Member Ryan Brannan is undergoing surgery on his hurt leg. Bus Driver Stan Olochwoszcz broke his ankle trying to help Ryan off the field."

Thoughts are with both of them!

I can't even comment on this statement because I will be banned...

Same. I have my licensing exam in 2 weeks. :)

According to Crown's Twitter:

"Member Ryan Brannan is undergoing surgery on his hurt leg. Bus Driver Stan Olochwoszcz broke his ankle trying to help Ryan off the field."

Thoughts are with both of them!

It is visible from the one video on the fan network. Its the high cam version but even from that angle it looks just terrible.

Does anyone know if this was caught on the fan network? The EMT in me wants to see what the MOI was... !?!

just watched the VOD of Crown's finals performance (they obviously only hsowed high cam) ... my heart is absolutely breaking for this kid, watching him try to get himself off the field but falling down again, the judge helping him, then having to be carried over a staff members back .... tears for this kid, literally

my thoughts and prayers are with him and his family and a speedy recovery

I can't even comment on this statement because I will be banned...

Then perhaps you shouldn't . . .because this thread is about a kid who fought through some pretty incredible pain last night and deserves our thoughts and well-wishes; not for talking about the forums.

Let's keep it that way, okay? :smile: