Injured Crown Member

Perhaps this unfortunate incident should serve as a wake-up call for all the drill designers and program coordinators out there, who have been pushing the envelope for years, writing faster and more difficult drill moves that test the young bodies of the members, and for the judging community that has rewarded the programs for pushing that envelope.

And I'm not just talking about Crown, I'm talking about all the corps. While the fall taken last night by the young man was perhaps the worst, and most high-profile, instance, it's far from an isolated incident. I know I've noticed an increase in recent years of corps members having health issues that I think can probably be directly attributed to the demands placed on their bodies by such high-velocity drills.

I may be totally off base on this (certainly wouldn't be the first time!), but I think that maybe it's time to slow things down just a tad.

I had a feeling this would be said at some point. I agree that the limits of the human body are being pushed out there. I saw one of our contra players blow out a knee during a run in 90 doing a maneuver similar to the one that affected Ryan. It was devastating to say the least. Injuries, in one form or another, have been happening in this manner since the late 80's. There's another part of the visual argument that I won't get into here, because it's not the right time or place.

While I agree with you, I'm not so sure this was the right time or place for the comment. The well being of the individuals that were hurt is most important in this matter. I appreciate the official updates from Mr. Sabach!!!!!!! Thank you so much for staying behind and looking after the well being of these fine individuals. It speaks volumes of the care your organization has for it's members and staff.

Get well soon and God Speed!

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It sounded as if though he tried to get off the field under his own power and might have really hurt himself in doing so. It was reported that a staff member took him on their back and carried him off the field.

All true. I also saw a judge helping him, along with Jim putting him on his back. Lets give this young man credit. He had some real nads in trying to get off the field by himself. Kudos to Crown on a great show too.

I had a feeling this would be said at some point. I agree that the limits of the human body are being pushed out there. I saw one of our contra players blow out a knee during a run in 90 doing a maneuver similar to the one that affected Ryan. It was devastating to say the least. Injuries, in one form or another, have been happening in this manner since the late 80's. There's another part of the visual argument that I won't get into here, because it's not the right time or place.

Didn't Crown loose thier center Snare due to a wrist injury early in the season too??

It was heartbreaking, speedy recovery!

I was in section 240. It was heartbreaking to see this young man try so hard to get off the field. Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

Maybe it's just me, but it seems like there were a LOT of season-ending injuries this year. Cadets, SCV, and Glassmen all lost a bass drum, Cavaliers lost a tenor, Crown lost their center snare (although that was wrist problems, not directly related to marching). There were a noticeable amount of horn holes throughout the season as well.

Could all be a coincidence or a terrible run of luck. Could be a bigger issue.

(my knee still hurts from 93, when we had to march the closer up hill, both ways, in the snow, and we had to chase the brontosaurus off the field before finals could start).

Perhaps this unfortunate incident should serve as a wake-up call for all the drill designers and program coordinators out there, who have been pushing the envelope for years, writing faster and more difficult drill moves that test the young bodies of the members, and for the judging community that has rewarded the programs for pushing that envelope.

And I'm not just talking about Crown, I'm talking about all the corps. While the fall taken last night by the young man was perhaps the worst, and most high-profile, instance, it's far from an isolated incident. I know I've noticed an increase in recent years of corps members having health issues that I think can probably be directly attributed to the demands placed on their bodies by such high-velocity drills.

I may be totally off base on this (certainly wouldn't be the first time!), but I think that maybe it's time to slow things down just a tad.

New thread perhaps?

(my knee still hurts from 93, when we had to march the closer up hill, both ways, in the snow, and we had to chase the brontosaurus off the field before finals could start).

Back in the day when you had to walk 10 miles in the show barefoot just to get to school? :thumbup:

Of course, the rise in injuries could also be attributed to the fact that a lot more of the kids seem to be going year round between drum corps, marching band, and wgi, leaving no chance to recover

While I agree with you, I'm not so sure this was the right time or place for the comment.

You're half right. It probably wasn't the right place for the comment (in hindsight, I should have started a new thread), but I believe that it is the right time for the comment, when it's fresh on people's minds. But this thread is about the injured Crown member, so let me try to get it back on track by again wishing both Ryan and the bus driver a speedy recovery.