Injured Crown Member

First, glad the young man is doing well and hope he recovered quickly.

Did anyone discuss Bluecoats marching through the EMTs as they were working on him. I read were an offical from DCI was giving them a hard time. Was this what it was about.

from where I sat they were being waved out. they didnt have a lot of room to work with down there.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dang... what was the first??

when the gentleman in Kilties dropped over dead of a heart attack on the field at DCA prelims in 2005...and watching them do CPR on him right there on the field

Thank you for your kind words and concern about this issue.

The decision to moderate the thread last night was pretty straight forward. We received a request from Carolina Crown to remove the information ... and when it comes to information about a current marching member, we will **always** honor the request of the corps. Shortly thereafter, an announcement was made by Jim Coates - which was published and discussion continues in this thread.

Our collective thoughts and prayers are with this young man for his speedy recovery .... along with our admiration for his courage and dedication to his corps.

-john

I have to say one of my posts was closed--I reached out to the moderator who closed it--they explained why, I respected it. Even though I was only concerned because I DID see it right up first hand from the minute he went down, yet not prior to--I get that Crown wanted to respect his privacy and also wanted to be able to reach his family first. I worried about the kid all night because it did look INCREDIBLY painful, but it was not long before we found out his condition etc from Crown. So I say--JOB well done DCP and best of recoveries for Ryan. I was heartbroken yet humbled to see all this kid had given to the activity...

Can anyone explain how this happened? Was it a result of a fall?

I believe improper marching technique is the cause. But that's just what every visual staff member I've talked to has said.

Crown, when you have members dislocating pelvises, breaking legs and requiring wrapping and icing down their hands/wrists every day, YOU'RE DOING SOMETHING WRONG!

when the gentleman in Kilties dropped over dead of a heart attack on the field at DCA prelims in 2005...and watching them do CPR on him right there on the field

That's really sad, but such an awesome way to go.

As a Crown alumnus, and just a fan of the activity, I was stunned when this happened. Something caught my attention out of the corner of my eye at the company front and I just zeroed in on it.....

I never saw the end of the show. ....and honestly, I'm not sure I'll ever be able to watch the show again since at that particular point I will relive that moment in my mind every time. Only 2 other times have I been this disturbed to this point. Joe Theismann's sack by Lawrence Taylor in 1985 and Stan Fox's wreck at the Indy 500 in 1995. I have been thinking about this dude since last night and all day today on my drive home from Indy. He deserves a "brass balls" award for courage.

While I personally will have trouble watching this show from now on, I hope this awesome drumcorps show will not be remembered for just this tragic event. It was a helluva show.

It takes alot to draw the audience into a stunned silence....even to the point where Bluecoats received nary a "Bloo" i heard some, but not what they should've gotten on this historic night for them.

Ryan, Get well brother. I hope you get to march again, but not many athletes recover from injuries like that. If you can't.....don't push too hard, you have nothing left to prove to anyone. Your courage is documented forever.

Stan, thanks for helping him out! Hope you get well too man!

If you read back in the thread, he was having trouble with a previous injury all season .. and could hardly walk the week of finals (even sitting out some rehearsal blocks). I can not say that this contributed to the compound fracture, but in my mind ... this young man may have already had a stress fracture and the move into the company front may have caused a full break. It even looked as though further damage was done in his attempt to recover from the fall. This is all speculation on my part ... regardless I just hope he recovers and has successful therapy now that his surgery has been handled. Stay strong Ryan!!!!!!!! Hope to see you on the field next year (and I really hope that Crown will invite him back even if he has to sit out visual blocks during the winter until he is fully cleared for takeoff).

While no one except the docs are really qualified to answer the question of how, you seem to be making a series of very reasonable assumptions.

Ugh .... I was there when the Kilties guy passed. We were the next corps on the field, behind those curtains waiting to perform. I was in shock of the actual event, and even more shocked when they went on with the show. I remember wishing they just took everyone into Finals, and called the show then .....

Our brother's name was Joel "Lothar" Magnuson.

Ugh .... I was there when the Kilties guy passed. We were the next corps on the field, behind those curtains waiting to perform. I was in shock of the actual event, and even more shocked when they went on with the show. I remember wishing they just took everyone into Finals, and called the show then .....

Yeah...what a strange feeling that was...so uncomfortable...