Injured Crown Member

I find it shocking that marching members are encouraged to try to walk on broken legs and ankles, and very disappointing that anyone on this forum thinks this mentality is medically acceptable.

Um... seriously, that's how you took this? That members are literally told to walk on a broken limb?

I would say it's more of a "do your best, under the circumstances." In other words, do your best to use common sense and act appropriately for the situation, so that you may avoid further injury if possible.

So, if you tweak your ankle and find yourself between a herd of fast moving marchers and their next set--marchers who may or may not see you-- then yes, it might be a good idea to get out of their way if you can.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Um... seriously, that's how you took this? That members are literally told to walk on a broken limb?

I would say it's more of a "do your best, under the circumstances." In other words, do your best to use common sense and act appropriately for the situation, so that you may avoid further injury if possible.

So, if you tweak your ankle and find yourself between a herd of fast moving marchers and their next set--marchers who may or may not see you-- then yes, it might be a good idea to get out of their way if you can.

That's the point I'm making, these kids don't know nearly enough about anatomy to know if they are doing serious damage to their body. That's what medical staffs are for. Are football players left to common sense? No, they do what the medical staff tell them to do.

annnnnnd back to what this topic is really about ....

i hope that ryan and the bus driver are doing well and have a speedy recovery

and kudos to his friend and fellow crown member who stayed behind to be with him

annnnnnd back to what this topic is really about ....

i hope that ryan and the bus driver are doing well and have a speedy recovery

and kudos to his friend and fellow crown member who stayed behind to be with him

Thanks for getting us back on topic. :thumbup:

Reminder, cards and general well-wishes can be sent to:

Carolina Crown

227A Main St

Fort Mill, SC 29715

Attn - Ryan Brannan

Just throwing this out there . . .perhaps we can all put the Community goodwill here to use and chip in to get Ryan/Stan some sort of "get well soon" gift.

Any ideas or interest?

It’s been said here a bunch of times, but what a horrifying experience this young man had to go through. Best of luck to him in the future. Based upon the courage and determination you showed on the field, I am betting we will see you perform again.

To discuss things that really are not important, do you think they would use the semifinals footage for the dvd/bluray? I don’t really know if that is possible because of the HD cameras and such. I seem to remember maybe in the past a semifinals performance was used on the official recordings/videos. Maybe I made that up?

Given that this was DCI finals, and they were in the setup for the final push of the show - I would assume that his adrenaline levels were quite high. Given that, I am not sure he would have known right away he had a broken leg. So trying to get up and get out of the way would be a natural reaction. I am pretty sure that is what I would have tried to do.

And as far as having the DM stop the show. I can imagine that during practices the DM is capable of doing this , and the corps member would quickly recognize the signal to stop (since if something goes majorly wrong in a practice it is a natural and expected thing to stop and reset). But in a performance - and DCI finals at that? it would be 100% unexpected by every Crown member to see a "stop right now" signal from the DM. It would make no sense at that time (from a performers point of view).

Stopping the show would have caused more harm than good. It wouldn't have come to an immediate halt. There would have been mass chaos. Mass chaos at the speed that that ending was going would have been disaster!

If I was in that kids shoes, I would have done the same thing he did. Tried to get the hell out the way! Before he got trampled and A) got hurt worse or B) hurt someone else.

The staff's response time can't be held against them. There is no reason in the world that they should have expected to have a member be injured so terribly. They were watching the kids throw down for the last time.

That's one great bus driver. I hope they get him year after year (when his ankle heals)! He loves those kids!

You're in my thoughts, Ryan. Hopefully you'll get the PT you need and can be back out there with your brothers and sisters next year. :-D

Thanks for getting us back on topic. :thumbup:

Reminder, cards and general well-wishes can be sent to:

Carolina Crown

227A Main St

Fort Mill, SC 29715

Attn - Ryan Brannan

Just throwing this out there . . .perhaps we can all put the Community goodwill here to use and chip in to get Ryan/Stan some sort of "get well soon" gift.

Any ideas or interest?

Let's also not forget Mr. Olochwoszcz....a true Irishman, for sure! :thumbup:

Carolina Crown

227A Main St

Fort Mill, SC 29715

Attn - Stan Olochwoszcz

- I'm in for a donation. I say we aim to donate towards his tour fees next year.