Injured Crown Member

Would it be out of the ordinary to ask Crown to let me know if he goes back to the organization? I'd like to make a contribution towards his fees if he does, but not sure what proper protocol is here...

Edit: Nevermind - I'll just send the guy a card and tell him to contact me if that's the case.

Edited by Musicman1084

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I find it shocking that marching members are encouraged to try to walk on broken legs and ankles, and very disappointing that anyone on this forum thinks this mentality is medically acceptable.

I'm sorry, but I have to go back OT to address this post.

I'm glad you don't run a drum corps. The fact is that if a corps member falls and does not get out of the way as quickly, and safely, as possible, it could cause more injuries. I understand your point that him moving could make it worse, but wouldn't it be even worse to have one, two, ten or even more other kids hurt as well because he didn't move? I don't want anyone hurt, period, but it's better to have just one injury rather than a lot of injuries.

As far as the cards, I'm planning on sending a card, one each, to both of them. I think we all should do that. But, I'm not sure about what else we could do as a community.

I'm sorry, but I have to go back OT to address this post.

I'm glad you don't run a drum corps. The fact is that if a corps member falls and does not get out of the way as quickly, and safely, as possible, it could cause more injuries. I understand your point that him moving could make it worse, but wouldn't it be even worse to have one, two, ten or even more other kids hurt as well because he didn't move? I don't want anyone hurt, period, but it's better to have just one injury rather than a lot of injuries.

As far as the cards, I'm planning on sending a card, one each, to both of them. I think we all should do that. But, I'm not sure about what else we could do as a community.

Just to clarify, I wish Ryan a fast and speedy recovery.

On this point, from what I understand of the circumstances (I wasn't there), moving DID make it worse. I understand the sentiment of wanting to finish the show, I've done the same thing when I marched, and I really shouldn't have. I was 19 and 21 when I marched, and really dumb. What did I know about my body?

How is one kid's broken leg less important than anything else? I would like that sentiment said to any sports organization.

I find it shocking that marching members are encouraged to try to walk on broken legs and ankles, and very disappointing that anyone on this forum thinks this mentality is medically acceptable.

Falls happen a lot. Very very rarely is an actual bone broken. I think the policy is: "if you fall, try to get out of the way". A broken leg is a different situation than a normal fall. No one would say "if you break your leg, try to walk anyway". The kid almost certainly didn't realize what had happened, and regardless of what is taught, his instinct would be to get up and try to get back in line, well before he realized what had happened to himself.

And I'll echo the others who noted that it's clear there were people running to help immediately, and it's also clear that the rest of the corps and most of the staff had no way to know what was happening. They didn't see it happen and we only knew about it immediately because Michael Boo spelled it out. From the official video, it could just as well be someone who passed out and was having trouble getting their bearings.

Thanks for getting us back on topic. :thumbup:

Reminder, cards and general well-wishes can be sent to:

Carolina Crown

227A Main St

Fort Mill, SC 29715

Attn - Ryan Brannan

Just throwing this out there . . .perhaps we can all put the Community goodwill here to use and chip in to get Ryan/Stan some sort of "get well soon" gift.

Any ideas or interest?

I guess the first question I have is "Is he covered under Crown's insurance?" because if not, instead of a get well soon gift, anything to help towards the massive medical bills because he'll need it. :thumbup:

I guess the first question I have is "Is he covered under Crown's insurance?" because if not, instead of a get well soon gift, anything to help towards the massive medical bills because he'll need it. :thumbup:

or at least his own personal Insurance. I know some corps demand that you bring your proof of insurance ( If they dont provide ) and a letter from a parent ( If they are under 18) permission to give medical care.

Just to clarify, I wish Ryan a fast and speedy recovery.

On this point, from what I understand of the circumstances (I wasn't there), moving DID make it worse. I understand the sentiment of wanting to finish the show, I've done the same thing when I marched, and I really shouldn't have. I was 19 and 21 when I marched, and really dumb. What did I know about my body?

How is one kid's broken leg less important than anything else? I would like that sentiment said to any sports organization.

I could be misinterpreting CMFC4Ever's reply, but my take on it was that it wasn't about avoiding more injury to that particular individual -- yes, that is important, and in a perfect world, if it were possible to stay put and avoid injuring the leg further, then yes, that would have been the best thing to do -- but the prospect of more corps members being injured by falling over the injured corps member who was not able to get out of their way quickly enough. That second scenario also includes the prospect of that original corps member being injured even more too, due to people falling on him. None of these are great alternatives, but if it's a choice between one person being injured or multiple people, then I think the choice is obvious.

I could be misinterpreting CMFC4Ever's reply, but my take on it was that it wasn't about avoiding more injury to that particular individual -- yes, that is important, and in a perfect world, if it were possible to stay put and avoid injuring the leg further, then yes, that would have been the best thing to do -- but the prospect of more corps members being injured by falling over the injured corps member who was not able to get out of their way quickly enough. That second scenario also includes the prospect of that original corps member being injured even more too, due to people falling on him. None of these are great alternatives, but if it's a choice between one person being injured or multiple people, then I think the choice is obvious.

The third alternative would be to stop the show so no one gets hurt. Don't see a problem in doing this/

The third alternative would be to stop the show so no one gets hurt. Don't see a problem in doing this/

Good point, and I agree with this. However, I see a practical problem here. Drum corps is noisy, and in performance the corps members are in full concentration. How do you get a corps to stop quickly in the midst of its performance, especially when the members are not expecting that (as they might in rehearsal)? The way I see it, by the time you get everyone stopped, the damage might have already been done (people already falling over the fallen corps member, etc.).

The scary thing is to try to imagine this fall happening at some other point in Crown's show. As these things go, the fall happened in a relatively fortuitous place where at least there was less chance of other corps members falling.

Edited by byline

Good point, and I agree with this. However, I see a practical problem here. Drum corps is noisy, and in performance the corps members are in full concentration. How do you get a corps to stop quickly in the midst of its performance, especially when the members are not expecting that (as they might in rehearsal)? The way I see it, by the time you get everyone stopped, the damage might have already been done (people already falling over the fallen corps member, etc.).

The scary thing is to try to imagine this fall happening at some other point in Crown's show. As these things go, the fall happened in a relatively fortuitous place where at least there was less chance of other corps members falling.

Yeah, it is difficult to make that happen, but it is the best way to ensure no one gets hurt, I feel