Injured Crown Member

I'm sure DCI and the corps staff have thought about these things and will definitely be thinking more about them.

And to the point ... I don't think this has ever happened before, nor would anybody anticipate it to.

That said, there is almost certain to be a lot of informed discussion about how to handle this type of thing should it happen again.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for getting us back on topic. :sad:

Reminder, cards and general well-wishes can be sent to:

Carolina Crown

227A Main St

Fort Mill, SC 29715

Attn - Ryan Brannan

Just throwing this out there . . .perhaps we can all put the Community goodwill here to use and chip in to get Ryan/Stan some sort of "get well soon" gift.

Any ideas or interest?

thanks bawker - mine should be in the mail shortly :thumbup:

That little guy who waves his arms on the podium. The one everyone should be watching anyways.

if you look closely at the video, at the end of the show the head DM is facing to the right so it's entirely possible he never even saw what happened until after the last note?

I find it shocking that marching members are encouraged to try to walk on broken legs and ankles, and very disappointing that anyone on this forum thinks this mentality is medically acceptable.

You'd be surprised how many people have broken bones and not recognized that their bones are broken. It's not like they look down and see Burt Reynolds in "Deliverance"... :sad:

Hearing that someone died back in 2005 makes me wonder why no policy was in place from that event. Why is it wrong for DCI do some thinking, planning and educating!?

From someone who personally witnessed both incidents from the stands, here's my take. In 2005, the member in the line immediately next to Joel (the gentleman who went down) frantically signalled the DM-who stopped the show, right then. The difference is that the number had just ended and they were getting ready to do the next number. Movement had stopped. When the seriousness of the situation was apparent, the DM removed the corps from the field; they returned several corps later (amazingly) and did their complete show.

In Ryan's case, he did what ANY normal person would do-he fell, he tried to get back up. I fractured my tib/fib in the early 90's, walking on a frozen sidewalk-I slipped and fell, and I got back up. There was no adrenaline rush from a show or anything, it's instinct-when you fall, you get up. When I attempted to walk, I realized from the pain that most likely, my leg was broken. I sat down where I was and waited for assistance-but the big difference is, I wasn't endangering myself or anyone else by doing that. If my injury had happened while crossing the street and I had been in the middle of the road, you can bet your ### that no matter how much it hurt, I wouldv'e gotten myself OUT of the road before I waited for help. As for stopping the show, it may have taken the DM a bit to have even seen him-the DM may have been looking in the other direction, or simply not noticed a "hole" that would have been created by one person not being in the formation-especially when the missing person was in the REAR of the formation. As has been mentioned multiple times, this happened in the middle of an extremely fast paced segment of the show. If it were at the end of a number and the DM had recognized that someone were injured and trying to get themselves off the field, then OF COURSE you would stop it and get assistance onto the field. Probably the one person who was in best position at that moment to react, did so-the judge who assisted Ryan to the point that he was out of harm's way, and was getting him to the sideline-that's when some of the staff members realized what was going on and came onto the field to help. I'm sure the judge was thinking what has been voiced here already-let's get him off the field so that nobody else gets hurt, and he doesn't get hurt worse by people falling over and onto him, with instruments no less.

Finally, as has been mentioned, the 2005 incident happened in a different circuit.

Do we think the judges deducted for this .....

Im sure they didnt. That would be wrong on so many levels.

That little guy who waves his arms on the podium. The one everyone should be watching anyways.

Sorry, took me a while to realize you were just trollinh for fun.

Or is it that you don't really understand the problems and that they is no majic wand to wave ?

< shakes head, dumbfounded that I got trolled > :sad:

BOOOOOOOOO I HATE trolls ( when I'm not trolling myself)