Injured Crown Member

As someone who sat and watched the event unfold (not sure how he was injured) I have to STRONGLY disagree that Crown or DCI handled the situation well. I train with first responders and after I saw the injury I stopped watching the show and started watching in crisis responder mode.

Ryan tried to get himself off the field several times without any help from ANYONE. I believe he may have even passed out once in the attempts. Nobody came to help him for a significant space of time.

Corp members are taught to get off the field? They are not taught to sit still and wait for help? How does the corp member know how badly injured he/she is? More damage can be done by moving the person! For the sake of the person, why not have him/her sit still and stop the show? I have only seen about two dozen comps but this is the first injury. Does it happen so often that stopping a show gets bothersome?

Then an older gentleman came out...now it appears it was the bus driver! Not a judge, not a Crown staff member or a DCI member, the bus driver? God bless him because nobody else was helping. He tried to put his arm around Ryan but he couldn't support enough of his weight. Then two young women dressed in heels and little black dresses came out and tried to support him. Seems no one else in the DCI or Crown staffs saw what was going on? Or they were too concerned with the show??? The bus driver tried to place Ryan on his back and fireman drag him off the field. Nobody else came to help! The bus driver and Ryan both fell and still no one came to help. In fact it wasn't until the show ended that ANYONE else came out. Then there was no elvaluation of Ryan, they just picked him up by all fours and carried him to the sidelines! Thank God he didn't have a spinal injury. Is there a plan for injuries? A way to stop the show to care for someone?

The injury was shocking to see, but what made me leave the stadium and still has me upset (as well as the medical personnal who were with me) was the length of time that it took for help to get there. Now to hear that the bus driver was injured because NO ONE WOULD HELP. Words fail me.

I hope that DCI and Crown reevaluate, review and relearn their emergency procedures. Injuries are a part of any athletic pursuit, allowing the injured to suffer and having others hurt in the process should never be.

No scorecard is more important than a corp member who pays to be a part of this and whose safety is trusted to the corp.

My thoughts and prayers are with Ryan and with his family (who hopefully didn't see their son, leg broken falling over and over in an attempt to get help). Having lived through a complete ankle reconstrution, I know the pain, recovery time and long term repercussions on such injuries. Good luck Ryan!

to be honest...depending on where you were, it may have been hard to see, and then to go out there for staff up in the stands. I have seen 2 other injuries, one noted above, and one in indoor where they stopped the show.

but....sometimes stopping suddenly can also lead to injuries, so one has to be careful with that.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do we think the judges deducted for this .....

no

As someone who sat and watched the event unfold (not sure how he was injured) I have to STRONGLY disagree that Crown or DCI handled the situation well. I train with first responders and after I saw the injury I stopped watching the show and started watching in crisis responder mode.

Ryan tried to get himself off the field several times without any help from ANYONE. I believe he may have even passed out once in the attempts. Nobody came to help him for a significant space of time.

Corp members are taught to get off the field? They are not taught to sit still and wait for help? How does the corp member know how badly injured he/she is? More damage can be done by moving the person! For the sake of the person, why not have him/her sit still and stop the show? I have only seen about two dozen comps but this is the first injury. Does it happen so often that stopping a show gets bothersome?

Then an older gentleman came out...now it appears it was the bus driver! Not a judge, not a Crown staff member or a DCI member, the bus driver? God bless him because nobody else was helping. He tried to put his arm around Ryan but he couldn't support enough of his weight. Then two young women dressed in heels and little black dresses came out and tried to support him. Seems no one else in the DCI or Crown staffs saw what was going on? Or they were too concerned with the show??? The bus driver tried to place Ryan on his back and fireman drag him off the field. Nobody else came to help! The bus driver and Ryan both fell and still no one came to help. In fact it wasn't until the show ended that ANYONE else came out. Then there was no elvaluation of Ryan, they just picked him up by all fours and carried him to the sidelines! Thank God he didn't have a spinal injury. Is there a plan for injuries? A way to stop the show to care for someone?

The injury was shocking to see, but what made me leave the stadium and still has me upset (as well as the medical personnal who were with me) was the length of time that it took for help to get there. Now to hear that the bus driver was injured because NO ONE WOULD HELP. Words fail me.

I hope that DCI and Crown reevaluate, review and relearn their emergency procedures. Injuries are a part of any athletic pursuit, allowing the injured to suffer and having others hurt in the process should never be.

No scorecard is more important than a corp member who pays to be a part of this and whose safety is trusted to the corp.

My thoughts and prayers are with Ryan and with his family (who hopefully didn't see their son, leg broken falling over and over in an attempt to get help). Having lived through a complete ankle reconstrution, I know the pain, recovery time and long term repercussions on such injuries. Good luck Ryan!

So, at what point did you and you medical friends/ responders reach the field to help?

I wasnt at the show, i found out via michael boos blog. I march in my college band, and hope to march DCI next summer. honestly, i would try to get myself off the field, because i would want my problem to effect the rest of the show. (especially cause crown drill moves so fast.) but thats just me..

Corp members are taught to get off the field?

Not necessarily get off the field, but to move out of the way of others who may not see you. This isn't because of the show coming first, but many times when a marcher falls, no one can see it right away, especially during competition when everyone's focus is on the performance and with drills moving at such quick tempos a fall could be disastrous. For example: My daughter was injured this year and it ended her season. She was at rehearsal marching backwards and her foot hit an uneven patch of ground which caused her to fall backwards. They were marching pretty fast so she couldn't roll out of the way fast enough and a couple other members got caught up in her. Thank goodness no one else was injured and hers is just requiring physical therapy, but if she hadn't moved, those other corp members would have landed right on top of her. In Ryan's case, it was just lucky that no one else got injured and that Ryan was in a place where there was a person close enough to actually see what happened, assess that this was a serious situation and help him to the best of their ability.

Edited by txorchdork013

I wasnt at the show, i found out via michael boos blog. I march in my college band, and hope to march DCI next summer. honestly, i would try to get myself off the field, because i would want my problem to effect the rest of the show. (especially cause crown drill moves so fast.) but thats just me..

Knowing that you meant to say you wouldn't want your problem to affect the rest of the show, the marcher appeared to do all they could to get off the field, but it just wasn't possible. And trying to do so would have made him even more a distraction, (potentially to the other members as well). His presence of mind under unthinkable circumstances was awesome.

Sometimes one can try all they might, but if your body isn't going to allow it...

What I saw him go through I hope I never see again, but I must admit I'll remember the moment as one where I witnessed the elements of courage that I think we all hope we can draw upon if we were to be placed in the same kind of circumstance.

In an effort to keep the member out of the "limelight" here regarding the situation at hand (and also with respect to his injury), we're going to close this thread.

However, please remember cards and so forth can be sent to:

Carolina Crown

227A Main St

Fort Mill, SC 29715

Attn - Ryan Brannan

Feel free to open up another thread regarding corps injuries and/or medical care that is a little more generic in its construction. Those are certainly important topics, but let's try to open the scope outside of this specific incident.

Thanks for your understanding. :sad: