Injured Crown Member

It is visible from the one video on the fan network. Its the high cam version but even from that angle it looks just terrible.

Darn, I wish I had the fan network. It really sounds heartbreaking. I teared up from the descriptions I heard last night; I can't imagine what it was like to actually see it. I hope he and the bus driver who helped him recover quickly!

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Darn, I wish I had the fan network. It really sounds heartbreaking. I teared up from the descriptions I heard last night; I can't imagine what it was like to actually see it. I hope he and the bus driver who helped him recover quickly!

It's not something you want to see. I was there last night. Sad. My heart breaks for him, knowing that is was in the last 30 seconds of the show on Finals night. Here's to a speedy recovery!! Congrats to all those in the Crown organization for handling this situation with class.

For those who were their last night, the guy that broke his ankle helping, "the bus driver", was that the guy that fell helping him off, near the end zone?

But last night's closing of the "injured" thread by a MOD was questionable at best. You had Mike Boo, who is supposed to be the voice or blogger of DCI reporting an Injury, while his initial "facts" from last night now appear to be wrong, he went what what he thought happened and posted it on DCP. Then you had Eric Sabach of Crown, who is a great individual, the guy that helped get the Blue Stars back on track into the top 12 and now doing marvelous thing with Crown, asking for the thread to be closed while the injury recovery was taking place. You also had assorted people reporting the injury on what they may or may have not seen as well. But while this was a tough injury and a young person was hurt, I really think EVERYONE overreacted to the whole situation.

In this day and age of instant news, tweeting, facebook, texting, myspace, YouTube and other social network sites people expect thier news now, it's how we live, it's what we created.

True, but just because we can post anything and everything on a given occurrence doesn't mean that we should. I think the mods used good common sense in closing the thread till more factual information was known. After all, friends and family of this individual could very well have been reading, so I think it was prudent to shut down the speculation till the facts were in. That's what any news organization worth its salt should be doing, even in a 24-hour news cycle. Sadly, many are not. I support DCP's approach to this. It wasn't malicious, and it wasn't disparaging anyone who posted on the subject; it was just a time-out to wait for the facts. If only more news outlets did the same.

The important thing is that Ryan is getting the medical care he needs and is doing as well as he can under the circumstances. He is in my thoughts and prayers for a swift and complete recovery, and I know he is also the thoughts and prayers of our drum corps community!

A big thank-you to Jim Coates for "keeping us in the loop" (and DCP)..... our first thought this morning was how Ryan was and it was nice to be able to find out so quickly and from an official source, not just gossip. All our best thoughts and prayers are with him today and as he mends.

Prayer for Ryan and his family. Bless his heart. I can only imagine the pain and suffering he endured. From a medical view, I believe he likely had several smaller stresses or injuries throughout this season. The severe pain should have been an indication to the corps medical staff that he should be further evaluated and maybe released from marching. Likely, he fell as a result of the simultaneous fracture along several lines in his tibia. Compound means multiple fracture points in the bone. I am sure he will recover well, but what a trooper he was. I am sure he likely insisted over and over that he was just fine and that he could march. This is what most corps members do for the brothers and sisters. They are so sacrificial and giving. They don't want to let anyone down. I cast no blame on the Crown medical team, but this may result in a review of their medical review and procedures, which is a really important thing when you think about how much these kids endure. God bless Ryan, his family and caregivers. Keep him in your prayers. There is no supportive family like corps family.

True, but just because we can post anything and everything on a given occurrence doesn't mean that we should. I think the mods used good common sense in closing the thread till more factual information was known. After all, friends and family of this individual could very well have been reading, so I think it was prudent to shut down the speculation till the facts were in. That's what any news organization worth its salt should be doing, even in a 24-hour news cycle. Sadly, many are not. I support DCP's approach to this. It wasn't malicious, and it wasn't disparaging anyone who posted on the subject; it was just a time-out to wait for the facts. If only more news outlets did the same.

The important thing is that Ryan is getting the medical care he needs and is doing as well as he can under the circumstances. He is in my thoughts and prayers for a swift and complete recovery, and I know he is also the thoughts and prayers of our drum corps community!

Actually a lot of factual information appeared really quickly on various channels. The problems arise when the mis-informed post their speculations as fact. You can't weed the good from the bad. When DCP shut down that thread, it didn't stop the information flow. Other channels just continued right around it.

While DCP's intentions were good, the fact is that most everything on here has no authoritative source behind it. Look at the G7 thread. So much sight-unseen stuff on those threads that it might as well be a voodoo séance. In fact DCP's rumor policy should technically have shut down most every post.

The only way to stop mis-information from spreading is for authoritative sources to be out in front of the news item. Obviously this represents a huge challenge to an organization like a drum corps. But it's one they're going to have to come to terms with real soon now.

They had just gotten to that company front at the end of the show right before it collapses, and right after he stood still, he was about to move and went down all of a sudden. I thought it was apart of the show for a second because certain members were stepping out of the front as usual, but then he was on the ground and tried to stand up. It was pretty scary. Judge ran to get him off the field because he almost got trampled.

Glad to find out he's ok. I wish him the best.

At least he got to finish the show....bad as this sounds like physically, the anguish for him would probably be worse if it had happened earlier and he didn't get to finish his finals performance.

Hope the surgery goes well and he can continue to march....because if the kid from 08 BD can survive a bleed in the brain and comeback the next year...

I just found a cell phone camera video on Youtube. I'm not posting it since it's against the terms I'm sure.

The good: He couldn't have possibly been in a better place to be injured. It looked like it was around the left 15/20 yard line going into a company front. This was right before everyone ran into some crazy drill toward the center. If this would've happened in the center of the field, it would've stopped the show & possibly had more injuries. Staff/judge did a great job of rushing out.

It's very difficult to see this. I felt myself getting pretty emotional for the guy & had to turn it off.