Fan Network - FINALS ON DEMAND

I found it to be very clear. We never had the option to watch finals performances until after the next years finals Phantom 2008 just posted at start of this year and BD 2009 is still not available to anyone. This year they offered that ability to the Premium subscribers only. The rationale (and I happen to agree) is that they want you to buy a video BEFORE they offer it as a VOD. You will note that the Premium subscriptions include a purchase of the video. I am very happy that they offered this compromise as waiting an entire year before seeing a previous years finals was not the best for all of us subscribers.

Me too - I chose the DVD package because my 36" RCA monitor from 1993 is still alive and well and I'm not replacing it with a flat screen till it dies. I thought it was pretty clearly explained from the start. Sorry everyone can't see last night's performances, because the quality is quite good. :smile:

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

So I understand one of the reasons why Crown is waiting to post the multi-cam, but are they delaying it so that they can edit out shots from the fallen member, or are they waiting to get permission from the fallen member to be able to include it to be courteous? I'm not sure how I feel, but if they do ultimately edit that portion out, I feel really bad for the kids who are near him who don't get to see themselves on that portion of the finals dvd of their show. Or maybe they're only editing it for DCP and they'll keep it up for the finals DVD....hmmmm

Im kinda surprised that they kept that on the video and didn't show semi finals instead. Poor kid...at least he was kinda off to the side. My heart goes out to him.

These videos are straight from the truck, and also notice that multicam is not available. When the DVDs/BRDs come out, we'll probably have an appropriately edited ending to the show. I'm just happy that those people were there to help him and I wish him a speedy recovery, just from watching the video you can see his determination.

Also, I missed the semifinals webcast, was the standing O as big as it was for finals?

These videos are straight from the truck, and also notice that multicam is not available. When the DVDs/BRDs come out, we'll probably have an appropriately edited ending to the show. I'm just happy that those people were there to help him and I wish him a speedy recovery, just from watching the video you can see his determination.

Also, I missed the semifinals webcast, was the standing O as big as it was for finals?

You just brought up an interesting point, saying that the videos are straight from the truck. This is a problem. I can't even count how many times (especially in recent years) that the camera abruptly switches away or misses a feature entirely. Wouldn't it be nice if they could have a team of people who could edit the mix so that the very best shots are what we see on the DVD? I KNOW they do not do this now. It would be great if they would though.

As for the standing ovation, there were far fewer people in attendance for semis, so the ovation during semis was MUCH less. I was watching it live on the Fan Network.

You just brought up an interesting point, saying that the videos are straight from the truck. This is a problem. I can't even count how many times (especially in recent years) that the camera abruptly switches away or misses a feature entirely. Wouldn't it be nice if they could have a team of people who could edit the mix so that the very best shots are what we see on the DVD? I KNOW they do not do this now. It would be great if they would though.

As for the standing ovation, there were far fewer people in attendance for semis, so the ovation during semis was MUCH less. I was watching it live on the Fan Network.

Actually, just to add to this, Tom Blair & crew are at shows prior to finals, and they are there all week. They study what the corps do, timing and observing, and they prepare their directing notes accordingly. In real-time they're as good as it gets. Can you go back later and edit for the disk? Sure. But in the moment, they call the shots, and they get it right quite a bit. Comparing these shots against, say, Denver's multi-cam is the difference. They put in the time, and learn the corps shows, where earlier in the season, you have to do the best you can.

Actually, just to add to this, Tom Blair & crew are at shows prior to finals, and they are there all week. They study what the corps do, timing and observing, and they prepare their directing notes accordingly. In real-time they're as good as it gets. Can you go back later and edit for the disk? Sure. But in the moment, they call the shots, and they get it right quite a bit. Comparing these shots against, say, Denver's multi-cam is the difference. They put in the time, and learn the corps shows, where earlier in the season, you have to do the best you can.

I agree - the video production is much better at finals than in the middle of the season. But it could be a lot better yet.

For my baseline, I'm still comparing to the videos from circa 1988-1993 or so. Funny, because it was Tom Blair then also. But those years were banner years as far as video production values were concerned. They have yet to be improved upon, from a production standpoint. Oh, and from a sound standpoint also. Sure, we have 5.1 surround sound and digital video now, but believe me, my 1989 video tapes have far better overall production values than my DVDs from 2009.

I appreciate Tom Blair for the job he does, and he and his team do it pretty well. But it COULD be better, and perhaps the perfectionist in me would just love to see and hear that.